Get rid of the Death Penalty.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dammit!, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    It does not actually equate the two things. The position simply notes that they all share one (essential) characteristic.

It's an admirable position, but I don't happen to think it's a feasible way to run a society.

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What I said, & what you have chosen to misunderstand, misinterpret or ignore, was that you have a constitutional right to travel. Justice Marshall also said this & supported it with precedent. I did not say that the right sprung from the langauge of the Constitution. Neither is there any such language on a constitutional right of privacy as enunciated in Roe v. Wade, but the SCOTUS has not been bothered by that either.
    Spend the money on spellcheck & some comprehension lessons.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this

Article 4 - Section 2
    The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

4. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005

What would be a good alternative to the death penalty?

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Frozen at 20K until science learns how to turn them into Sylvester Stallone

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    No offense, Mel, but I'm going to have to go with Thurgood Marshall's interpretation of the Constitution over yours. Call me crazy, but Supreme Court Justice carries some weight in my book... ;)

7. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Either:

1. Life in prison w/ no parole

or

2. Ten years as slave of nasty gay man.

or

3. One year service as a BS Politics forum Moderator.

8. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    That would drive the murder rate in San Francisco through the roof

9. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    A new report released by the Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury recommended changes to the state's costly death penalty and called into question its effectiveness in preventing crime.

Death penalty trials cost an average of 48% more than the average cost of trials in which prosecutors seek life imprisonment.

The California death penalty system costs taxpayers more than $114 million a year beyond the cost of simply keeping the convicts locked up for life. (This figure does not take into account additional court costs for post-conviction hearings in state and federal courts, estimated to exceed several million dollars.)

# In Los Angeles County, the total cost of sentencing someone to death is $2,087,926.
    # In Los Angeles County, the total cost of sentencing someone to life imprisonment without possibility of parole is $1,448,935, which costs aproximately 31% less than a death sentence

http://www.deathpenalty.org/index.php?pid=cost

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts.html

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether you are for the DP or against it, one thing is for certain, a change in how our prisons are run is called for. Our whole Prison system needs major reformation where we can do something to prevent repeat criminals. Anyone have stats on how many DP Row inmates had other incarcerations?

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree with this. I also think laws should be changed to streamline the legal system to avoid wasting taxpayer $$ on this type of cases. There is no reason things have to linger on and on..

12. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    "You scratched my anchor!!"

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The large majority of "repeat criminals" are drug offenders. What do you advocate in that regard?

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mandatory rehab, isolation from any drugs which doesn't happen in prison as they get the drugs they want there. Education. There are a lot of choices.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong....I do not disagree with you in theory. I just wanted it acknowledged that the first step toward any sort of prison reform needs to address the problem of drug offenders.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I understood your post. I think that drug offenders need treatment for their addiction. Now dealers should be dealt with a bit harsher, but again education is the key.

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Guess what? He did it! He was guilty & was properly tried & fried!
    http://www.optonline.net/News/Article/Feeds?CID=type=xml&channel=32&article=16953526

18. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Those glasses he is wearing the pic are so wrong, they are almost cool..... :D

19. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Comming from one the first nations to abolish the death penalty I am completly against it. There are crimes that make me want to open exceptions, but to think that there are inocent people executed is enough for me. Acts of treason during war times are my only exceptions.

20. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Of course your talking abouta state that takes 20 years to execute a person.

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see those figures for Texas where, as Ron White put it, they've put in a death penalty express line.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best "Simpson's" scenes ever:

Bart playing the video game "Escape from Death Row"

....about to be captured....."quick, hit the change of venue button...."

"Oh no........I ended up in Texas...."

23. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    I wonder if a study has been done on what percentage of people who are Anti-death penalty for murderers, are also pro-choice as well!

At least the positions are consistent!

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an attorney, it's a shame we only get glib comments from you instead of any reasoned analysis.

25. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Sheesh, that's all we need, another thread for superdave to call people liars for their interpretation of some lousy poll