Get FSW Report OFF THE AIR!

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Eggy, Nov 9, 2003.

1. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Re: Re: Get FSW Report OFF THE AIR!

I forgot about the following:

Because FOX Sports World Canada is required by the terms of its licence with the CRTC to have 15% "Canadian Content", Global TV (the owner of FOX Sports World Canada) has to produce enough hours of FOX Sports World Report in order to comply with its terms of licence.

Hence, FOX Sports World Report has to be one hour each night even though it only has enough material to fill 30 minutes on most weeknights.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What? You want them to cut FSR from 60 minutes to 30 minutes? The only replacement would be another infomercial.

3. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Not necessarily.

If FSWR were 30 minutes, FOX Sports World would simply run FSWR back-to-back the way FOX Sports en Espanol run Score Final back-to-back on weeknights.

FSWR will stay 60 minutes even though it only has enough content for 30 on most nights for the reason given above: the terms of CRTC licencing for FOX Sports World Canada (FSWC) require FSWC to have 15% "Canadian Content".

4. Ty_Tanium

Ty_Tanium New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Canada
    Can't go 60 to 30

It isn't that bad - at least not as bad as it used to be. They used to repeat the first half hour when it first came on but over the past couple years they've been able to cut it down to usually 1-2 segments repeated depending on games that day and how much there was going on.

I think the features from Max Bretos and Matt Brown help - and of course Bobby is the man Monday and Friday...that leaves one day that doesn't have extra content - and it usually falls on a busy day.

It's not perfect but it is a decent show and it is steadily getting better. In the 500-channel universe, we have one source for all those hilites. Stop whining - they might mistake you for an American soon.:p

By the way, do they have writers on that show now? St.Louis writing has been a lot better in the past few months....either that or I'm drinking too much before the show again....he's actually fun to watch now just to hear what he's going to say....and where's Carlos these days?

Did he get *gulp* axed?

5. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most nights they are going @ least 45 minutes before they are repeating segments.

I think an hour is just fine.

I hope maybe the FSW guys can throw them a little $$$ & send Michelle down to HDC for the MLS Cup final (or J1 or Mitch or Joe or Carlos).

Let her do some on-site reporting again.

6. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    This is totally selfish on my part, but I'd like it if they showed CFL highlights. I can get them on tsn.ca, but that small format can get a little annoying. Maybe Michelle could dress up like an Argos cheerleader with the silver boots and the blue, lace-up, PVC top... ahh. Sorry. It just seems like soccer overkill sometimes. I can't believe I'm complaining about that, but there are other sports out there. Maybe if they devoted highlights to, say, European basketball and hockey, cricket, squash, whatever, they could fill one hour. Maybe it's a rights issue or something. I don't know. It would be nice to get highlights of leagues we never get to see on SportsCenter, not just soccer.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Can't go 60 to 30

When Jeremy was posting here I think he said Carlos produces the show, maybe he's concentrating on that? Might account for the increase in quality you're seeing.

8. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    ha

this thread is funny

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    highlights they never show:

Canadian Football League
    Aussie Rules Football League
    England and Australia Rugby Leagues
    European Basketball
    Rugby Union(domestic leagues)
    Cricket(domestic leagues)

put all that in and you could fill an hour easily.

10. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They show the rugger. But only on Thursdays in Max Browns segment.

I'd be happy if they just stuck to Soccer and F1, but that's me. The track, Tennis and Golf can be skipped.

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I thought they could've bumped up the Rugby World Cup this weekend. They seemed intent on showing every morsel of Premier League info before they got to the final, which was actually a dramatic game.

Gimme track.

12. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they would have. But I'm willing to bet there's something in their deal with Setanta which forces them to wait. ;)

13. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Eggy is sort of right. The show really does suck. They bother me with their humorless jokes and how they always try to sound cool by calling the football clubs by their nicknames constantly. Most of the time they make those stupid nicknames up themselves. The only reason I watch it (which is hardly ever, mind you) is to see clips of the Champions League. By the way, Michelle is tw*t.

14. Ty_Tanium

Ty_Tanium New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Canada
    If ignorance is bliss....you're a happy man aren't ya?

{Actually, Eggy is sort of right. The show really does suck. They bother me with their humorless jokes and how they always try to sound cool by calling the football clubs by their nicknames constantly. Most of the time they make those stupid nicknames up themselves. The only reason I watch it (which is hardly ever, mind you) is to see clips of the Champions League. By the way, Michelle is tw*t.}

Hey dip*#*#*#*#*#, I'd like to see you attempt to do what they do - seriously. I'd like to see a number of you guys try and do what they do. Oh and about the nicknames? Most of them are bang on which at least shows they know what they're talking about - perhaps you need to do some research yourself.

You're probably the guy who crashed out of broadcasting or something and sit at home jealously mocking everyone who does what they do on TV. It may not be the greatest show on TV, but I'd rather watch them screw things up than read posts like yours. That comment about Michelle is just uncalled for - however it does help to propogate the myth that Americans are ignorant SOBs.

Nice work.

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: If ignorance is bliss....you're a happy man aren't ya?

It was totally uncalled-for, but don't you now go fulfilling the myth that Canadians see Americans as being all the same.

16. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    Hey its Carlos!!!! Your my favorite on the show

17. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How weird! How did you know that I was in broadcasting school? It's a good thing I got out while I was still 18! (Hmmm, and I'm the "ignorant" one?) You're right...I probably couldn't do it better than them, and that is why I do not have my own sports show.

MLS Wrap sucked at the beginning, but they improved it big time as time passed by. Now, out the time that FSW Report has been on, I have not seen any improvement and think it sucks just as bad as it started off. It's sad that they don't see that lol

18. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: If ignorance is bliss....you're a happy man aren't ya?

You know, I find it funny how Canadians seem to always bash Americans and say we're ignorant. Lets face it, for the most part they dress like us, a lot of them try to sound like us, watch our movies, listen to our music...hell they practically ARE 'Americans'! So, wouldn't that make them just as ignorant as us?

19. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,

You're painting with a broad brush. There are intelligent and stupid people everywhere. There are intelligent people in Canada and there are stupid people like you.

20. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Re: Re: If ignorance is bliss....you're a happy man aren't ya?

Well he did call it a myth.

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Perhaps the Canadians don't care about the other sports. Of course, the FSW target audience in the States doesn't care about curling, either.

22. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    Do you have any examples to substantiate this statement?

23. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, finally the show got much better. It's much more professional and it runs more smoothly. Good job!

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Too much duplication between Fox Sports World and Sky Sports News -- even in the scripts used by the anchors!!!

FSWR used to have features on things like yachting, motorsports, and even international hockey. Now? All footy, all the time.

Thanks, but Sky does a much better job.

25. jstlouis

jstlouis Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Duplication?

As an anchor/writer/editor on the show I can agree that there is some overlap between FSWR and Sky. But it is purely a time thing - some information we do not get until the last minute so there is not much time to edit or re-write some of our material.

In the end though, every hilite show has the same hilites right? It's not just the hilites you watch them for but the people reading them as well....I can watch ESPN and Fox air the same stuff night after night but where my dial is tuned is based on who I like to listen to. If you prefer Sky, such is your preference...fortunately for us, you have to watch our channel to see us AND Sky so it's win-win.

Having said that, we are trying our best day after day to be as original and current as our resources allow and we appreciate the patience of our dedictaed viewers who have hung with us since the early days.