Germany vs Argentina - International Friendly

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh come of it, it doesn't matter one jot, they beat Brazil and Argentina to win the world cup, do you really think they give a toss about their first meaningless friendly game after that. They are probably all still hungover.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We still had enough chances to win though. This game is just bringing back bad memories. Great goal by Lamela, shame his agent made such a stupid decision to move him to a new country and league during a world cup season. Although I'm sure he made a tidy sum from the move.

soji22 repped this.
  3. Rayy

Rayy New Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What's happening to Germany? :(

4. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    who cares, this result means nothing. this means really nothing at all. We're 0-4 versus Germany in the wc finals (since our last meetings), and lost two them in three straight world cups, and one in the wc final.

This win is a joke by our team and I'm stating this based on not even knowing the lineups.

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2 goals are on Romero, soft goals.

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Romero returning to his usual self with those two goals..

7. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I know it's only a friendly, but Argentina can't afford to let Germany back in the game. A win won't make Argentina world champions, but it sure would be nice to embarrass the Germans on their own turf...

8. Mazzikaa

Mazzikaa New Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Love Gomez

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The good news is that this proves Argentina is playing like an elite team, and this bolds well for Copa America. And the WC finalists aren't a fluke.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me get this straight... Germany beats Brazil 7-1, now Argentina beats German 4-2... so does that mean that if Argentina plays Brazil, they win 11-3? :cool:

Pipiolo and charlie15 repped this.
  11. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    i dont care about the result
    I actually think we played better in the final
    what is pissing me off is missing clearly the 2nd most important player of the team

12. soccerfanfromcanada

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    FFS this is frustrating. WHERE WAS KUN AT THE WC? Di Maria just had to get effing injured when it counted. This is also without lionel messi. Gotta wonder if Argentina would have won if Di Maria was healthy.

soji22 repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats on the deserved win. The Düsseldorf Cup is all yours.

P to the Wee repped this.
  14. zant

zant Member

Sep 7, 2009
    trikala,greece
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks! GTFO here now.

Dr. Know, cigar_city, jimmi_moh and 3 others repped this.
  15. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Football isn't always logical. What's worse is that these huge swings in scorelines tend to be more frequent now than they were in the past. Think about how in 2013, Bayern Munich beat Barcelona by an aggregate score of 7-0 only for them to lose 5-0 to Real Madrid over two legs just one year later. That's just baffling!

16. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    Congratulation for the game. But you should keep in mind that Germany played without it's world cup defense (except of Hoewedes, the weakest one) and without a part of the usual midfield and so on. Many key players are retired or injured. Instead there were a bunch of newer players/youngsters, who are unused and unexperienced to play together in the NT. One had even his first whole game for the NT. That's why our defense and connection to the midfield was quite shaky. In fact we had not our usual midfield game and play (controlling different aspects at the same time: pace, space management, energy, defending-offensive-balance etc.) but more a conventional attacking style ...

Apart from that it was also quite a different game as it were in a world cup situation. Germany could realistically also have won it by 5:4 or tied it with 4:4. Our midfield and defense game was broken but our attacking abilities were still available. We had many great and real chances to score. This time we did not convert but the point is: do you really believe that it were wise from Argentine to gamble that risky on that in a tournament, especially against a full working German team? This would most likely lead directly into a disaster like in 2010. No, in a tournament environment the game were pretty much the same as it was in the Final. Much more tactical, careful and serious with both playing the same role as they did (Germany more dominant possession and dictating the game, Argentine more concerned about a strong defense and seeking chances with fast counters). There were reasons why it was played this way - and these reasons are not suddenly gone.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't watch the game but just saw extended highlights. Do you think in the future we start Kun as a CF with with Messi playing right under him or near him, with Angelito and Lamela would be a better fit? Have Pipita as a sub for Kun? The only issue I could see is that Coco was a Messi replacement. Maybe play with 2 forwards with Coco behind them instead? I just do not want to see Messi, Kun, Pipita and Angel starting again. I would hope for new dynamism in the team and if Coco can continue to elevate his game, he can give us that.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why is that stormtroppers always stick their noses in other forums and even try to invade it?

cigar_city repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #69 Rattlehead, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    While our attacker also return to their usual self:sleep:. Romero made some significant 1v1 saves early in the game and that goal he conceided also came from our player deflection.

Someone suggested that our team looks more balanced without Messi and do you think all these years we've been forcing the team to rely on Messi even when he's not playing well? it has to be said just because he's the best on the planet doesnt mean he never have a bad game because he doesnt look ineffective in certain games.

This result also proof we're good enough to win next year tournament even without Messi!

Pipiolo repped this.
  20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Against the German, yea , he got an assist and a stunner in previous match against Germany while Messi missing a penalty (even though he scored as well).

When we beat them at Munich in 2010, Di Maria assisted the winner as well.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #71 Rattlehead, Sep 3, 2014
    Like I said in previous page, the result of this game will only double our frustration. We hit 4 goals against Spain after 2010 WC now another 4 goals against 2014 champion.

Apart from 2010, our team has always been good enough to beat them.

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have to say the German always comes up with great intention to win and play well , their goalkeeper and defenders even look frustrated when conceiding one late goal in 7-1 win against Brazil. Today you can see Low and their bench look worried when the scoreline was 4-0 at one point. That's perhaps why they keep coming back stronger and stronger in each tournament. They really look into their mistakes and always try to improve their performance.

[​IMG]

23. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Congratulations to Argentina.
    Back in the World Cup, I remember that when Di Maria got injured, I thought this would hurt Argentina more than if Messi had been injured. I guess his 3 assists and 1 goal today, friendly or not, Germany with a 2nd team defense or not, validates that opinion. The WC final could have been different with Di Maria, and then South America and Europe would have had the same number of WC victories instead of Europe being two ahead. Oh well, if, if, if... it doesn't change the reality, but makes one wonder.

cigar_city and Rattlehead repped this.
  24. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #74 johnbarley2, Sep 3, 2014
    I agree.

The scoreline here was generous while the WC final we probably were better than 50/50 to win if you look at the chances.

Ultimately I think we lost the Final because of:

1) Di Maria's injury, possibly our most important player. (yes, I know Germany was missing Reus, who is a great player, but they have adequate replacements for him.)

2) Messi's injury midway through the match

3) Higuain and Aguero's poor form.

4) Fatigue which was our own fault. Our inability to finish previous matches which I think ultimately came from our strikers poor form and fitness (Higuain, Aguero, Messi) coming into the tournament.
    5) Aguero coming on for Lavezzi was a poor decision IMO.

Sabella's tactics were perfect even if unpopular. We had our best or second best qualifying campaign ever and made it to the final despite of the fitness problems. His main focus was on stopping counterattack chances we were giving up to opponents, silly mistakes playing the ball out from the back, improving set piece defense, speeding up our offensive execution. Personnel waise, he was flexible enough to drop Gago and Fernandez which I give him big credit for. I still think Romero was a poor choice of a GK though.

Martino is trying to revert back to possession based football and I don't think it will work in the Copa America because:

1) We simply make too many mistakes in our own third. In this match we saw plenty from: Demichelis (our best passing defender), Fernandez, Mascherano, Biglia, Romero. I don't trust Rojo and Zabaleta either in these tight spaces. Almost all of Germany's chances came from these.

2) We don't have the fitness to press. In this match our players looked pretty fresh but this is a friendly at the beginning of the season. Our players always come into tournaments in awful condition. This would be unsustainable for even 2 matches in a tournament.

3) We dominated South America (minus Brazil) during the qualifiers. Why should we change anything?

That said, I wouldn't mind watching Martino try to re-implement this style but I don't think it will work.
    I would have preferred Sabella to return for one last run at the Copa America instructing players to come in fit or not come at all.

cigar_city and Pipiolo repped this.
  25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True, although the German will also say the 2002 final could have been different if Ballack was available. :)

It always sucks to lose key player at final stage.