Germany-Holland

Discussion in 'Germany' started by IANausUSA, Nov 8, 2004.

1. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    look the only reason why the dutch supporters hate the german ones so much is because the germans are much better looking guys and then the dutch are scared that the germans will take their bitches away from them.
    PS I know what i am talking about!!

2. triplex

triplex New Member

May 19, 2004

So that's why you fled Down Under!!

3. shutoutj

shutoutj New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Rome, Georgia
    LOL @ triplex
    I agree that the rivalry started in WWII.
    I don't know who I dislike more. The dutch or the english(football teams) :confused:

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeah the Germans are a real bunch of hotties with footballers like Völler and Kahn.

5. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    don't get too jealous now. ;) Your time will come just be patient.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Hmm I didn't know you have such low quality control, Holland must be great for you! :D

7. mofo4life

mofo4life Member

May 25, 2004
    near munich
    LOL look at Rijkaard,Gullit,Van Nistelroy, Van der Saar and Reiziger :rolleyes: :cool:

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

Ok what is it with Völler? This probably one of the nicest guys in the world. First you spit at him and then make fun of his looks (sure it's not the hair?).
    Don't go for Rudi go for Lothar ;)

9. $crooge

$crooge Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Mainz, Germany
    Club:
    FSV Mainz 05
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really dont think the rivalry has something to do with WWII. Germans have no reason to hate or dislike Holland because of this war, so if you're saying, the rivalry is based on what happened to Dutch people in WWII, you're implying that it is a one-way-rivalry: The Dutch hate the Germans because of WWII and the Germans only hate the Dutch because they are hated by them... that's not quite adaquate.

If you as a German travel to Holland, you wont experience any hate or hostility - at least not more than in France or England or Poland etc.pp.! Even in Rotterdam they wont point the finger on you for being German.

I agree to the thesis that the Dutch are jealous of our success and we, the Germans, are jealous of their great and talented players. Add to that that we are neighbours and the rivalry is explained pretty accurate I think.

But let me add something polemic: There actually is no Dutch national team - that team playing in oranje under the name of "Holland" actually is the team "Immigrants to Holland"... and that's something we Germans can feel good about - we never had that many colonies. :D

10. mofo4life

mofo4life Member

May 25, 2004
    near munich
    Thank god we lost our colonies in Africa(Togo,Kamerun and Namibia)after WW 1. :)

11. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yes my Dutch girlfriend also thinks German men are good looking :D

but then again she thinks Ruud van Nistelrooij is not bad, so I don't take this very seriously...

but then again she used to ride horsejumping competitions so maybe that's why...

12. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Hard to believe these days, but before WWII, the Dutch and the Germans (esp. those from the neighboring Lower-Rhine), got a long pretty well. The Dutch even allowed Kaiser Wilhelm II to seek refuge in their country (for over 20 years) after WWI - the western Allies weren`t too happy about that. So the relationship was pretty good before 1940...

13. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    The football-related rivalry started in 1974. Prior to the 70's, the Dutch team was unable to compete with the big nations.

Here`s a look at the most atrocious Dutch defeats from 1945 to the 1960s:

27-11-46 2-8 England, Huddersfield
    12-11-50 2-7 Belgium, Antwerp
    16-07-52 1-5 Brazil, Turku (Olympic Tournament)
    19-05-54 1-6 Sweden, Stockholm
    30-01-57 1-5 Spain, Madrid
    21-10-59 0-7 West Germany, Cologne
    30-10-63 1-2 Luxemburg, Rotterdam (EC-Q)

14. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I think a lot of the rivalry is just hype, and when you meet people face to face it's no problem. A quarter of my family are from the Dutch-German border, mostly the Dutch part, and there is no problem whatsoever. Of course you shouldn't go to Rotterdam and say anti-Dutch things, or ask where the old town is... or go to Holland as a tourist insisting to speak German. I usually watch Germany-Holland matches together with Dutch friends, and we always had a great time. I am a bit jealous of their nice orange outfit though.

15. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Could you look up statistics for Germany prior to 1954? Must be similar?

16. shutoutj

shutoutj New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Rome, Georgia
    I'll give you that one, johan, because you were provoked.

But don't forget you have studs like Stam, Reiziger, Horseface(van Nistelrooij).

17. shutoutj

shutoutj New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Rome, Georgia
    Oh come on now, right now the Dutch are way better, but in the past the Germans have always had more talent.

18. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    We haven't had more talent in the past, we just played better as a team. And I think we still might do that, looking at Germany vs Holland in Euro 2004. We were the better team there, without a doubt, although Holland have far more talent.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I agree with the first part of your post. As for Euro 2004, that Dutch squad was hugely over-estimated, seeing that it was made up of a bunch of nearly has-beens and a bunch of youngsters without international experience, with only a couple of genuinely quality players. I think it was a massive achievement for that Holland squad to get to the semis.

Anyway. You as a German should know what it's like to get far in a tournament even when playing badly.

20. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yes I thought Holland did well to get as far as they did. I meant only the actual Germany vs Holland match itself (probably your worst match, apart from Ruud's goal which was great).

BTW did you hear about the Grootste Nederlander result? Guess that's all because of the recent attacks, very annoying situtation.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's awful, I'm dead embarrassed about it. But apparently the Fortuyn supporters got organised from the start of the competition so there was never any catching up with them. A German (william of orange) came second though!

22. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yes I saw that it was very close, only 8000 votes difference. Willem van Oranje was born quite close to where I grew up I think, but guess that wasn't really Germany back then...

I would have voted for Erasmus or Rembrandt myself, now they were great.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Erasmus or Van Leeuwenhoek for me. I don't think many people realise that the man who discovered bacteria was Dutch.

24. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Didn't he also invent the microscope? I had forgotten about him.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes that's the one.