Germany-Holland

Discussion in 'Germany' started by IANausUSA, Nov 8, 2004.

1. IANausUSA

IANausUSA New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    So, I spent the summer in Germany and experienced my first European Cup. I was really surprised by the rivalry between Holland and Germany. I would really like to know more about it; like when it started (1974 WC?)? why? how? where? stories from over the years of their matchups. I started doing some research on this topic because it has intrigued me so much and I can read German fairly well, but the most helpful sites have been in Dutch and I have a harder time piecing it together. Any stories, information or insight would be incredible.

ian.

2. mofo4life

mofo4life Member

May 25, 2004
    near munich
    The rivalry with Holland started with wwII.

We don't like them and they hate us, it's the same story with the tommies. :D

3. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    With Holland start after the 30th year of war, not direct but hundred years later.
    At this time they believe they have an own country, Spanish netherlands.
    But more Spanish.
    Some intelligence hold the hynm, Kings from German blood.
    Or were Nassau ever Spanish Netherlands?

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    The Dutch hate the Germans because of World War II, if you're German you better not travel to an away game in Holland because you might get killed. Fortunately most Germans are civilised beings and the reaction a German will get in Holland is not the same as a Dutch in Germany. I believe this all boils down to an inferiority complex; it is the only logical reason.

5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Not sure if you have these books under your belt, but here it goes

"Tor" by Uli Hesse Lichtenberger (I got mine from Amazon UK)

Brilliant Orange by David Winner
    &
    Football against the Enemy by Simon Kuper

all three are great books and add to the discussion about Holland & Germany

6. triplex

triplex New Member

May 19, 2004
    You should take into account that 'logical reasons' don't always comply with emotions. If anything, I believe that the Dutch feel (morally) superior to the Germans, something they are generally good at.

I think the origin of the 'hate' coming from the Dutch is a complex one. It undoubtably has its roots in WWII, but it is also increased by the hords of German tourists invading Dutch beaches each summer. But it has been fuelled in the football stadiums by a sense of frustration: how come the Germans get to carry away the trophies? This frustration was building up for 14 years, until it finally deflated in 1988. I think that after 1988, the 'hate' of the Dutch changed its character, and having lost its relation with frustration, changed more into a game (pissing off Germans). Nowadays, what is left is just the game of having a favourite enemy.
    It is interesting that once the Dutch started dominating Dutch-German football clashes, the German supporters have become more aggressive: I reckon the ball of frustration lies on the German side, making a lot of the German fans less tolerant of the continous Dutch taunting and provocations.

Just my two cents

7. Matschr

Matschr New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Not only because of the WWII, also because of the WWI. In all two wars germany fighted against France and decided to go through the neutral Holland to attack the french people.

8. triplex

triplex New Member

May 19, 2004
    I am pretty sure the Germans didn't enter Holland in WWI

9. Northern Light

Northern Light New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Hitzhusen / Germany
    Correct, they went through Belgium in WWI IIRC

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Don't be absurd, no-one ever got even slightly hurt in a Holland-Germany match.

It is partly because of an inferiority complex, you're right. It's the traditional David v Goliath thing. But that inferiority complex does not extend to football. The Dutch in fact think their football is far more attractive than that of the Germans, and that they deserve to beat the Germans for that reason alone.

Anyway anyone who's interested in the rivalry should read Football against the Enemy by Simon Kuper.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You've got the rivalry down pretty accurately. And yes, I've noticed that the Germans in recent years have started to hate us more and more. For the Dutch it's the other way round: we've started to hate them less and less. Probably because we think they're pretty uninteresting as a football nation (yes there's that moral superiority again!)

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Strange, what was I thinking, where on earth would I get this type of information. Oh yes must have been the combination of German supporters telling me how pyschotic your fans are and a few years ago, the Dortmund management telling their fans not to travel to Holland for the Feynoord-Dortmund game because it is dangerous.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oh on the club level it's a different story, I'll gladly admit to that. But Holland fans are the friendliest bunch you'll ever meet, they're not the typical club supporters. If you've ever been to an international tournament you should know. There's never been an incident involving Holland fans at any international tournament. While there's been a couple with the Germans as we all know.

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I was wondering how many comments it would take before this thread got to this level.

15. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    How you doing Johan? End of the workday for you yet? I'm just starting -sigh- Now off to an endless day of meetings. bleghh!!!

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

International matches are usually more friendly because it is more family orientated. I meant club level, the general feeling I get here is don't go to Holland unless you got the cojones... I might add that I do have mighty cojones because I bench press 10 tons each arm. There Dead Fingers, the thread is back to a civil dialogue.

17. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Oh I wasn't complaining--I thought it was pretty humorous. 10 tons each arm -eh? My--you do have the cojones! That's it man -we're going to Rotterdam and taunt the locals! But only from a very fast car! better yet a bike ( yes we know how the Germans love those Dutch Bikes) Duoh!

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Indeed! You taunt them, I'll watch your back in case they come from behind!! If you don't see me, it's probably because I ran away. :D

19. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Likewise

but you know what--I like the Dutch. Lets go taunt the Brits! :0

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well it's mostly Feyenoord who really really hate the Germans. The city was bombed to bits at the start of WWII killing many, and 50,000 Rotterdam men were rounded up and sent to German labour camps in 1944 in the biggest European razzia ever - not that that's an excuse, I'm just trying to explain where the hatred's coming from.

As for my club (Twente), we're currently expanding our stadium capacity and a special section for our fans from Germany will also be included. Twente also have a fairly special relationship with Schalke as you may know.

21. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You actually build "a special section for fans from Germany"? ;)

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Apparently! There'll probably be a Bratwurst stand and the walls will be covered with pics of Beckenbauer to make them feel at home.

23. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @ johan

you´re joking

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ha! I am about the bratwurst and the beckenbauer. I wasn't joking about the special German section in the expanded stadium though.

25. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But this is too strange. I mean to build a seperate section for club fans form another country doesn´t really support the european idea, does it?