Germany Forced to Play Opener for WC

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by beachesl, Oct 27, 2004.

1. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    FIFA orders Germany to play 2006 World Cup opener.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-4579050,00.html

excerpt: "FIFA has ordered 2006 World Cup hosts Germany to play in the tournament's opening match, dashing the hopes of coach Juergen Klinsmann who had wanted to delay his team's first game to keep the pressure off his players."

Good thing FIFA has acted decisively to end this juvenile charade. Now, the organizing committee can get on with real organizing. Klinsmann has to become less anally retentive quick.

[​IMG]
    Herr Klinsmann Ponders His Next Decision

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Mods please card or warn this person for his/her obscene picture, it's disturbing.

3. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Hey, at least it's not violent, and needlessly insulting to families of victims from 9/11 and Iraq casualties.like your avatar .

It's not obscene, it's bizarre, but not more so than a lot of other pictures or avatars. Drop the vendetta, guy, this ain't the place for it.

4. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I'm going to have to disagree with the original poster.

I think this decision is unfortunate. Personally, I prefer the recent tradition (since '74) of the defending champion playing the opening match. Just because Brazil is not assured of qualifying is a laughable reason to discontinue this practice.

I think the organizers were getting their panties in a bunch unnecessarily.

Plus, I think Klinsmann's concerns are valid. Why add more pressure to a team that has been under fire since Euro2004? Especially when it's unnecessary.

One also has to remember the tradition of the favorite team losing the opening match in shocking fashion.

5. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    I think that both sides have a valid case. I don't feel strongly about either returning to the old pre-74 decision (which I like) or the more recent Champions opener tradition. What I didn't like was the organizing nation deciding to return to the old tradition (for valid reasons of "opening" the new Munich stadium, and celebrating the first major sporting event in Germany since reunification), but then threatening to change it around for strategic reasons raised by it's new coach (which I don't think is valid). Make up your mind and stick to it. I'm glad that FIFA decided that the organizing committee had to be settled after the initial decision (I don't think FIFA cares one way or another whether Brazil or Germany starts, they just want it settled).

I also think that most criticism concerning the return to the pre-74 tradition has just been holdover criticism of the spring 2002 decsion to make the Champions qualify for the next match, which is a different issue.

Most tournaments have the host team playing in the opener, it's just common sense in my opinion. It also adds lustre to the host nation's ceremonies. It also helps many of the non-soccer fans in a country focus on the event. Korea did not really get interested until they played their first match against Poland, and there was general disinterest in France until theeir team started playing in 1998 (and interest did not greatly get sparked until France got the first WC golden goal against Paraguay in the first playoff match).

6. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Beaches,

I'm not too worried either way, but one thing I am hoping is that, just like with the Confererations Cup, Australia vs Germany is the opening game of both events.

I know any group with the Germans would be differcult to qualifiy from but at the very least it would mean we are at the world cup again [finally].