German NT - World Cup 2014 - Pre tournament and squad selection

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by BorisG, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Without an out-n-out striker for aerial attack as plan B, it's a very risky move

Sometimes u need a different approach against different opponents. Loew doesn't seem to realize. Gomez, Lasogga n someone like Kiessling need to be there

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I certainly hope we won't have to rely on Klose to start and use him largely for leadership and maybe some last minute action.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You were talking about 2002, so did I. The time after the WC2002 is obviously not interesting if we speak about the strikers' outcome at the Worldcup. And it's a fact that in the finals we only relied on Ballack to score - and not exactly against World powers in football. That's a fact and now spare me with your preposterous suspicions.

4. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I think taking only two strikers is risky simply from the injury perspective. Lose one or two and you need to call up your provisional roster (if allowed).

5. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would probably go with the following

------------Volland(Müller)
    Reus---------------------Özil(Müller)

---------Kroos---Schweinsteiger(L.Bender)
    ----------------Lahm

Durm--Hummels--Boateng--Grosskreutz

-----------------Neuer

6. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Dude, read your own quote:

"And it was a big mistake back then, what has Klose done 2002? The team totally relied on Ballack to score."

You were clearly talking post-2002.

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #107 Dage, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Yep I read them over and over again. Can't see a "since" in there. I was quoting you talking about the WC 2002 and used "2002" as a description for the World Cup myself. Don't know since when "2002" means "from 2002 to 2010". Boris at least seems to understand my posting presenting only the numbers of the WC..

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Right, because of your poor typing skills. ;) WTF did you mean then with "what has Klose done 2002?"

Let's not foget this gem: "The team totally relied on Ballack to score."

That was clearly wrong. Whatever. I sense your need to cover your butt after failing to get data together before posting something so obviously wrong. Ok. I'm done.

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #109 Dage, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Like a little child. The WC 2002 was the clear topic boy as a reference to the current situation before the WC 2014.

So much bullshit over two pages only to say the exactly same thing, edited in some earlier postings. Well played :rolleyes:

10. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    Müller gotta start...
    So What about özil replacing one of kroos and schweinsteiger...

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Too defensive for him, at least in terms of what Löw can instruct. Would take him away from attack too much I think. I suppose it could be done but I don't trust Löw to know how to create an ultra flexible system out of this shape and with these players.

12. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    ...and standing behind your obvious mis-statements and failing to back them up? ROFL. Okay. Don't like accountability do ya? Whatever.

13. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    I thought you were naming your own without considering löw.

I think that löw should finally let go and trust the players to work their skills.

It has not been otherwise working so far.

14. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Won't happen. He's not the type.

15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nothing you quoted supports your sight but go on rageing about a fact you stated by yourself. Or dream on in your land where "2002" means "from 2002 to 2010". But hey maybe you had a hard day so I let it go. :D

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's difficult to ignore Löw's stamp on this team. He keeps calling Podolski up for example. And Jansen. And at the slightest risk he stops experimenting until it's too late. I completely agree with you though.

That formation is mostly what I think we should do, since we're in the business of playing armchair coach but also realistically what we can expect to a degree. If I had even more freedom, I would actually drop Schweinsteiger as controversial as that is. With everyone fit I would obviously love Gündogan in there as a replacement.

So if I really had this team to myself, a delicious fantasy and all players at my disposal, I'd go for this:

--------------------Reus--------Müller
    ---------------------------------------------Özil

-----Khedira
    ------------------Kroos--------Gündogan
    ----------------------------------------------<<Grosskreutz>>

--------------------------<<Lahm>>

---------------Hummels-----------Boateng

----------------------------Neuer

Would be totally asymmetrical with no natural width based on creativity through middle and power runs on flank. Emphasis on high line with Lahm as libero/holder. Front line interchangeable. Müller/Reus as outlets for Özil. Khedira more advanced but him and Grosskreutz using their physicality and workrate to occupy spaces. Both really good at bombing forward when necessary. Both capable at covering defensively if needed. Both would be key players to make this system work.

17. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Not sure it's Loew's fault for not bringing in striker as backup for Klose n Gomez until too late.

He did bring in Lasogga and Kruse, but injuries and form hurt their chances. I still think if Lasogga isn't injured, he would be called up by Loew but he is incredibly injury prone

Clubs in Bundesliga aren't starting German strikers. Other than Kiessling, Lasogga, Kruse n maybe Ginczek (pre-injury) you can hardly think of a striker who starts regularly at Cf spot. Volland plays there sometimes, Cacau n Petersen are some others but they are regular starters or starting CF for their clubs

18. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, I didn't expect either Klose or Gomez to be selected due to injuries but they'll be a lot of pressure on Klose to score goals. Anybody suggesting Mueller up top clearly did not watch Bayern play this season! Volland as an option? No thanks, he'll wilt under the pressure and do nothing.

I must say I'm not too confident going into the WM with Loew planning on making further "adjustments" and the players available.

19. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    So - from the earlier post - you kind of expect volland to be starting? And why not Müller?

Your team is what I would go for this tournament but I might play Volland instead of Khedira and would play Weidenfeller with the option of replacing him if he isn't as good or better than Neuer. Boateng - I'm not fully sure about but I don't think anyone else is better than him right now.

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I suppose I would play Müller. I think Volland's form is such that he could play, ironically a Müller role from 2010 but either one is ok. I suppose Volland off the bench along with Götze and Draxler...or Klose.

21. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    I guess you mean this is what löw is thtinking.

I think he might even start both if he does think volland can have Müller's impact of 2010

22. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Either way I hope Jansen gets cut in favor of Durm.

23. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    On Mueller, this is true but he's the type of play who can turn it around IMHO.

On Volland, I am not sure why you think he'd wilt. Mueller did not wilt in 2010. Why so confident that Volland will? Both had similar seasons just before their WM debuts. Both were about the same age. Both are similar in their play and in their aggressive attitude.

24. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
  25. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    Durm cold help a lot i think. Seems confident