Review: German Legacy of the Past

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90, Blueberry_night and BVBFNM repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    saj7866 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    saj7866 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  7. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm not surprised with Beckenbauer winning best center back, but pleasantly surprised Lothar win the best DM all time. I always thought Lothar is underrated by non German fans. I know most of great past players usually revolve around striker, AM and winger, but to witness recognition that Lothar get is amazing.

saj7866 and Ger90 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    best XI of all time
    GK and Defense
    [​IMG]

Midfield
    [​IMG]

Attack
    [​IMG]

Nationality
    Brazil-3 players
    Germany and Argentina-2 players
    Russia, Spain, Portugal, Italy-1 player

9. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Xavi is the only stain in that XI.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #185 Ger90, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    the real underrated is Gerd Muller, gets ignored a lot by tons of people, just because he's not flashy. People call him poacher yet he has tons of class goals. My dad still raves about him today.

led Bayern to 3 consecutive CL+helping Germany be 1st country to win euro+WC back to back.

Guy has or had all scoring records imaginable whether 1BL, CL etc. Took players like Messi, Ronaldo or Lewa to break some of his scoring records.

or even now, from 2020
    https://www.besoccer.com/new/leo-messi-once-again-after-one-of-gerd-s-muller-records-862983

-This is past
    Freshly-crowned FIFA Ballon d'Or winner Lionel Messi, who netted an unprecedented 91 competitive goals in the calendar year 2012, has thanked former record holder Gerd Müller for providing the inspiration.

Additional motivation
    The FC Barcelona superstar sent the FC Bayern Munich legend a signed a shirt bearing his famous No10 with the message: "To Gerd Müller, with respect and admiration and a warm embrace."

Messi was awarded the FIFA Ballon d'Or as the world's best player for the fourth successive year on Monday evening in Zurich. The 25-year-old's 2012 tally overstepped Müller's previous record of 85 from 1972. According to Barca president Sandro Rosell, Müller's bestmark was an additional motivation for the diminutive Argentinean.

Müller responded graciously, saying: "If a player scores close to 100 goals in year, there can be no two opinions about who's the best player in the world. He's an unbelievable player, a giant, but at the same time such a likeable and modest professional."

-Beckenbauer on him, lucky him Muller always played on same team for club/country.

"His pace was incredible. In training I have played against him and I never had a chance."

saj7866 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Lahm, Breitner and Neuer.

12. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I know Paul Breitner is one of German football's all-time greats, but after watching a few interviews with him over the years I must confess I don't like him at all, as he often comes across as an arrogant prick.

Philipp Lahm is perhaps the most underrated RB in football history.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Breitner was always controversial figure,

Outside the pitch, Breitner self identified as part of the 68ers (the 1968 protest movement in Germany and elsewhere). He was often decried by the more traditional or conservative football fans for his radicalism and "revolutionary" attitude, as well as his tendency for voicing strong opinions on major political and social issues, especially during a time when Germany was still divided by the Berlin Wall. He was infamously seen bringing Mao Zedong's "little red book" to training. However, after 1974, Breitner abruptly brushed aside his leftist leanings. While his Dutch World Cup rival Johan Cruyff had publicly declared to never play for a club associated with "fascist" General Franco, Breitner yearned to play for Real Madrid and signed the transfer documents in 1974. Subsequently, he gained notoriety for spending lavishly on houses and cars, as well as participating in lucrative commercials.

Before the 1982 World Cup in Spain he caused a major uproar in Germany when he accepted an offer by a German cosmetics company to pay him the – what many Germans regarded at that time as a "scandalously high" – sum of 150,000 Deutsche Mark if he shaved off his fluffy full beard, used their fragrance and advertised for the company. In the previous years his long hair had been perceived as a show of rebellion. Breitner further infuriated many fans with his subsequent move to Spanish club giants Real Madrid. He returned to Germany after the successful spell in Madrid and retired as a player in 1983.

Blueberry_night and BVBFNM repped this.
  14. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Basically a grade-A hypocrite.

I'm going to veer off-topic in regards to Real Madrid. Despite it's lifelong association to the Franco regime, which was unavoidable given that several Spanish government officials were Real Madrid fans who came from the upper class families the club has always had ties to, Franco himself was an Atlético Madrid fan.

15. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Lol, what kind of bullshit is this. Pele being pulled back to midfield to accomodate CR7 in the lineup.

Ger90 repped this.
  16. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not surprised at all, for me the GREATEST German player I saw was no other than the great lothar matthaus, a commanding player of the highest quality as well as a great captain

Ger90 repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    would you agree with this comment?
    "One word, WOW, this guy thinks like a German, dribbles like an Argentinian, and defends like an Italian."

saj7866 repped this.
  18. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely

Ger90 repped this.
  19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Soon to be among the memories of past greats. The Bender bros are retiring at the end of the season

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    way too much EARLY retirement from German players these days.

Lars Bender was good for dfb too bad he could never stay fit for more call ups.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  21. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Proper "iron" hard-working players, an increasingly rare breed nowadays. But had bad luck with injuries during the middle part of their careers. Lars could have helped fill some of the void among the NT, being able to serviceably cover DM and RB

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was named in Germany's provisional 30-man squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but withdrew on 23 May following a thigh injury in training. Manager Joachim Löw said, "I feel personally very sorry for Lars because I know how much he wanted to be in Brazil, when a player is ruled out so close before a tournament then it is very disappointing for everyone"

just imagine Reus goes out and Mustafi takes his place. Fit Lars Bender would likely have been called up ahead of Mustafi. Almost WC champ if it wasn't for his constant injuries. Also we played Mustafi at rb when Bender could have played there.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  23. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Of the Bender twins Lars has been considered the more talented one, but Sven had the more successful career.

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  24. Aderthan

Aderthan Member+

Schwarz weiss essen
    Germany
    Nov 17, 2020
    Lars had good Euro 2012 campaign, scored the winning goal against Denmark while playing as RB. A solid DM if fit, he's another player careers ruined by injuries. The Benders supposed to be the German improved version of De Boer but sadly they never really reach their full potential.

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "of all the German teams I have watched in a world cup starting from 1990 till 2018, the one of 2002 was the least talented. Their defence was key, including the fact that they were really good at set pieces. Klose scored 5 goals, all set pieces in the group stages. After that he scored zero goals. Germany kept progressing just by a 1-0 scoreline and they met normal teams until Brazil in the final. That final exposed how bad this German team was. The 2018 German team was very talented but they lacked a Klose kind of player."

"actually the final was their best performance in the tournament. I remember it vividly, Schneider and Neuville could made it 1:0 even before the first brazilian goal. And who knows what would have happened if Ballack had not been suspended for the final. But it would be a scandal if we had won the wc in 02. Would be the least talented and the least deserved world cup winner of all times"

:ROFLMAO:

how I miss Ballack, Klose, Kahn, Schneider, Neuville, etc

BorisG and saj7866 repped this.