German attendance boom

Discussion in 'Germany' started by lond2345, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    By the way.

Frankfurt, Köln and Hannover are currently expanding their stadiums and have a very limited capacity right now.

If these stadiums are ready (and keep Berlin and Munich in mind) the Bundesliga-attendace will go up higher.

2. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: This forum rocks!

Because they were in the Champions' League for several years in a row, because they are able to sign lucrative sponsorship deals (because of their CL participation), because they earn a lot from merchandising. Clubs like Bayer and Wolfsburg have corporate ties, yes, but they still have to be profitable on their own.

Besides, what you are ignoring is that Bayer rarely signs big-name players. They sign up-and-coming players and develop them into world-class players (Ballack, Nowotny, Lucio). Also Calli has good ties to Brazilian clubs, Bayer has a great scouting system, etc.

Bayer may have corporate ties but they act much less like a money-hungry corporation than Schalke, Dortmund and others.

Also, stadium attendance only amounts to something like 10 percent of revenues for big clubs that play in the Champions' League.

3. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Hans Jörg Butt, Stefan Beinlich, Oliver Neuville, Jens Nowotny have all been established Bundesligaplayers and National-team-members before they were bought by Leverkusen.

22,500 says a lot about the real number of fans they have!

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    They were established players on their way up the ladder, not superstars. Bayer did not pay big transfer fees for those guys.

There is a difference between having a lot of fans and being profitable. Frankfurt has a lot of fans and is always in debt, because the club is run very poorly. Leverkusen runs a very tight ship financially. They do not buy superstars that they can't afford. They buy young, up-and-coming players and sell them later on for a profit.

As far as the stadium size, that has very little to do with anything. Bayer has stated many times in the past that it could expand the stadium, but instead it chooses to improve amenities.

How many people does the Ostseestadion seat? And yet your stadium is about half full most of the time. What does that say about your club?

5. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    They also payed a lot of money for Franca, Simak, Ballitsch, Fritz, Preuss.....

Also Ballack was not an unknown player before he came to Leverkusen, but an established starter for Kaiserslautern. He already was a German Champion!

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I did not say any of those guys were unknown. They joined Bayer as promising players and in many cases left Bayer as superstars. Most of the guys Schäferhund mentioned were not national team regulars until they became established at Bayer.

They paid DM 8 million for Ballack IIRC and sold him for, what, EUR 8 or 9 million? That is good business sense. The list of players that Bayer has made money on is very, very long. Simak and Franca are two of the first investments that look like they might not pay off. But even with those guys it's still too early to tell.

7. Moonsault

Moonsault New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Germany
    Hi,
    only one example for the acoustic and atmosphere in the Westfalen stadium:

mitglied.lycos.de/MSHugo/bvb.avi
    (sry, public webspace ;) only works by using copy&paste)

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    oh man that was awesome. Got any more of those style videos?

9. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Great example, awesome!!

And welcome to Bigsoccer. Again another BVB-supporter at Bigsoccer! Looks like WE dominate the germany-section! Please join our discussions on BVB-forum as soon as you can!

10. Moonsault

Moonsault New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Germany
    Nope, sry.
    soccerfreak, I'm Werder Bremen Fan for nearly 10 years. ;) But the BVB-Video was such impressive, that I had to upload it. :D

11. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Damn shite...........

But that throws a strange light on Werder.........

12. Moonsault

Moonsault New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Germany
    I know, I know, but the support in the Weser stadium will never be as good as in Westfalen. :(
    (english grammar sucks :D)

13. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    Video

A friend made a viedeo in the Schalke-Arena (2:0 vs
    Munich in the Cup) it was recorded at 115+ loudness.
    When I get it, I'll upload it.

14. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    Attendance

Really, Hannover, Cologne, Glabach build new stadiums, the attendance is very low, but selled out mostly.
    Schalke and Leverkusen are selled out every game.
    Lev with 22.500. Schalke with 61,266 now - at season start 61.100+ was thec capacity.
    The bitter Enemy of Schalke, Dortmund, will amount
    if the stadium is finished, a crowd off 83.500.

Stock up the Arena-auf Schalke to 150.000, it might be selled out
    not every game, but we can buy cards regulary.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Video

Awesome. Thanx mate! :)

16. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    Holland vs Scotland

The noise was good, Holland noise.
    What a drag that the scotts loose.
    I`ve seen so much games, but this was bitter.
    Well, they'll come back, I hope it.
    Loosers will win some day some count.

17. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    It's an interesting look at how things are run in Germany. I'm simply impressed with how often the stadia are filled in some cities.

I also think that 1860 should have gone for a smaller stadium. There was talk not long ago of going back to the Gruenwalden Stadion(sp?), fixing the place up to modern standards. Too bad the board decided that the Allianz is worth continuing to have half-sized crowds for the foreseeable future.

OK. About the BVB ground, are the new areas constructed to be standing-only areas or do they also have folding chairs?

18. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    the new corners in westfalenstadion, dortmund are permanent seats (with folding mechanism).

the only standing sections are the whole south stand and small parts of the north stand. both can be converted into seats for uefa matches.

jonam, http://www.schwatzgelb.com

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Video

:)

20. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    He lives Hannover at the moment, or longer with his
    girlfriend.
    But he will come on 28th. this month, I hope he don't forget the video. I've mailed him.

I saw it, that's a hammer.
    3 Parts, S04, Sieg and "and you'll never walk alone".
    Last is the best.

21. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yah, I was there on saturday. I am not abig fan of the Arena AufSchalke, but the support was sometimes quite good (well?).

We beat them 1:0 though and that was the best thing I remember!! :D

22. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    I celebrate my birthday on friday and was ill on Saturday, better it was.
    I heard the result and won`t see any sports on tv.

23. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    This weekend was 41.000+

24. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    The top was Dortmund
    81.500, then Schalke 61.265, the rest was ok

25. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    according to www.kicker.de it was even an average of 44.533 this weekend!

a season total of 37.092 per match is currently top in europe. bvb's average of 78.214 is also top in europe. also schlacke and bayern have more than 60.000. quite impressive i think.

jonam, http://www.schwatzgelb.com