Gerber confirms expansion talk....

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by BulaJacket, Oct 8, 2003.

1. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber confirms expansion talk....

from Garber article:

Chivas still working of final details...city still not final...but most likely San Diego, Houston as backup (not Reliant)
    possible rule changes (I'm totally opposed to this except for maybe everyone getting one more SI (not too in favor of this either), but I think this may even be more)

Cleveland front runner 2005...
    Oklahoma City, Rochester, & Philly still in talks

no comment on Club America investment at this time....

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=956

edit: lol....my bad on the typo...i get on others about that too...mod please change...

2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerber? Perfect - the Houston yellow leakers...

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is this about a rule change????? I don't like the sound of that AT ALL!!

5. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    If MLS allows Chivas USA to have more SI spots then the rest of the teams then that is total BS... the whole point in having SI limits is to allow more positions to be available for American players... if MLS will bend the rule for chivas then it has to do the same for the rest of the league.

MLS should just raise the SI limit to 4 for every team. Giving chivas more SI spots automatically gives them an advantage... This hole league is about every team being equal.

Whats next?? Higher salary cap for the Goats???

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Sounds like they are contemplating a leaguewide rule change as opposed to special rules for Chivas.

I'm ok with this if it's a few extra foreign players on all teams.

It's probably prudent if the league is going to expand to 14/16 teams in the next 3 years.

7. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Its more like they are gonna make exceptions for Chivas... and not the rest of the teams

this is a bunch of $hit.... i have no problem with more SI but at least give every team the right to have the same amount...

8. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Well, a couple of thoughts.

One, I think we have done all right lately without the internationals.

Two, without a raise in the salary cap, what kind of international are we likely to get?--one that can have a serious effect on a team, or one that would have equivalent skills to an American--therefore taking quality playing time away from a young American?

9. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Fine. . . give every team one additional SI slot and cut back one transitional international slot. Expansion should mean more chances for young American talent.

10. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point one - agreed
    Point two - many Central Americans (think Milton Reyes and Carlos Ruiz) are now viewing this league as their chance to hop across the pond (or at least a grab at more exposure). They can be had for a lower ticket price than SA internationals and view the league with respect.

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    who cares how many foreigners they get, our american players are much better, and will prove it on the field.

12. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Any special status for the Chivas team will only isolate it from the rest of the league -- a kind of guest team that could pick up and leave on a whim.

This smacks of an attempt to shoehorn expansion and grab some new money come what may. It's urban sprawl vs. urban planning. Both are options, but you can't have it both ways.

On the other hand, it will be a team we can all love to hate. We handled them well enough in the AS match; I don't think we have much to fear of their offshoot. It could make a statement about the quality of MLS vs. MFL.

I predict some rowdy days ahead on a bumpy road lined with new stadiums in a league with all the law and order of Dodge City.

Yahoo, and lock up your daughters.

13. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    No one puts that in doubt, well at least i dont. But to have rules exceptions for this guy is just wrong... just because he is from Mexico gives him the right to demand changes in the player limitations... what scares me is that if he gets his way now who knows what he'll be asking for next from MLS. Higher salary cap???

My point is that he's making MLS look like his little bitch if he gets his way...

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is a rule change, it will be for the whole league. Would the league be that stupid to overtly have rules apply to one team and not others? I mean this isn't Doug Logan we are talking about.

The way I see it, if we are going to be a 14-16 team soccer league in the near future, we are going to need to increase foreigner limits, otherwise quality of play is not going to progress along with the size of the league.

15. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Re: the article

"Garber confirmed that Chivas owner Jorge Vergara is finalising his plans to play a newly expanded team in San Diego, with a back up plan being Houston - although not in Reliant Stadium."

Glad to see that Reliant is out of the picture. In this dawning age of SSS in the U.S. I never liked seeing that an expansion team was going to play in a new, HUGE American football stadium where we, again, would be second class citizens. As it is, it looks like Qualcomm, which is similarly bad, will be the future home for Chivas. I just hope that there is a "You must build a SSS within 5 years" clause in the deal. I don't have any hopes for that, mind you, but I think it should be there.

"He also pointed at a possible rule change for Vergara's squad make-up, going against many MLS general managers and officials wishes. . . . Garber said that discussions are taking place that would allow this team to have more foreign players that the current MLS rules permit, but that the details are still being worked out.
    "

Contrary to how many of you seem to have read this, this quote, especially the first sentence, makes it look like Chivas would definitely be different from the rest of the league. I'm o.k. with everyone getting another int'l player, but as others have said, it had better be one rule for all teams in the league, no exceptions for any teams.

"Garber also discussed the candidates for a second MLS expansion franchise, saying that Cleveland is the leading contender, but mentioned Oklahoma City, Rochester and Philadelphia as possibilities. "Cleveland is the leading contender since they have an owner who is committed to soccer and committed to building a soccer specific stadium," he noted.

Not thrilled with the chance of another two team state, especially a state as small as Ohio. Oh sure, they can then have a derby, but will there be enough attendance regularly? I don't know the state at all (I flew into Dayton back in 1989 to cross the border to Richmond, IN, and know that Columbus is about 7 hours from Chicago) but neither Florida nor California has had good luck with attendance and two teams. Oklahoma City seems like it could be another Columbus (and that's a good thing, beyond the public relations blandness of the places). Rochester has had strong A-League performance and could get a stadium built (though last I heard there's astroturf in its future). And Philly has the same problem with Lincoln that Houston has with Reliant.

Just say no! (to expansion w/o SSS)

16. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Re: Re: the article

Although we're small we have a large population. Does this mean Cleveland will support an MLS team? I couldn't tell you. I highly doubt it would but with a SSS and an investor almost lined up, who knows.

C14

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Allowing San Diego Chivas more foreigners than any other team would be totally bush.

In fact, downright asenine.

18. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    And the sign says at "Chivas De USA,
    " Non-Hispanic players need not apply." !

Sign ..sign sign , there are signs
    that CHIVAS DE USA will say
    " Non Hispanic players need NOT apply".

That's the only reason Garber is willing to let Chivas have more SI players than other MLS teams.

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

SJ is recovering from incredibly inept owners (Krafts). And AEG has a truckoad on its plate: HDC, new stadiums in Chi and NY, selling Colorado, expansion, etc.

It has nothing to do w/ having the Galaxy w/in 350 miles.

20. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    So Garber Baby (LOL, AndyMead) at long last throws us another carrot. Proves that he can exercise common-sense (no Reliant) and questionable logic (perceived Chivas favoritism) in the same breath. As for Cleveland, there are indeed people who make a comfortable living selling refrigerators to Eskimos. Or ATVs to city-folk. MLS could work here as well as any comparably-sized city. All depends on the salesman, his sales-pitch, market-knowledge, and the product. Hey, a Cleveland pro soccer team might gain more summer media attention should the WNBA team go belly-up.

14-16 teams in a few years? The WUSA collapse gets me to thinking that MLS should be grateful to still be alive itself a few years down the road... especially if those summer "champions tours" of ManU and such continue. And I hope MLS does continue & prosper. But not if they become NASL II in expanding.

21. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.

This just makes no sense to me. FINALLY, MLS is starting to look less like a temp and more like a solid league. A lot of good news regarding SSSs and the new invester in Denver. There is absolutely NO reason to jerk the original investors around for some guy who apparently has no interest in promoting this league.

I don't know. I watched the NASL grow to the point we thought it would be here forever. Then die. I just can't watch that again.

22. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WNBA team in Cleveland did go belly up...

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I don't think Cleveland's MLS franchise will be playing womens' basketball, however.

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    ManU won't be coming over next summer. The barkeep at the Westside Tavern assures me of that.
    By the way, he though MLS should have played a match with ManU. When I explained that MLS was cut out by ChampionsWorld, he still didn't get it. He figured it was MLS ducking the challenge.

Such is the perception among those who follow the game, but not MLS. And by the way, he knew about DCU beating the Spurs. Want MLS to get noticed? Play matches with EPL sides, but make them count for something.

As for next summer, he says think Liverpool.