Georgia's two high profile Congressional primaries

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ludahai, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    August 20 is primary day in Georgia, and in a state where there are three Republicans in a heated race to try to unseat a vulnerable Democratic governor, and two Republicans trying to unseat a very liberal Democratic senator, the two races getting the greatest attention are congressional primaries.

Cynthia McKinney is facing a stearn challenge from former judge Denise Majette. Cynthia is pulling out all the stops in this one. She is recycling out old endorsements from former Atlanta mayor and ambassador Andrew Young, is the pet child of the radical Islamists in this country, and is equating receiving donations from Republicans in the district as being illegitimate (while she is receiving tons of cash from outside the district). While Majette is as liberal as the sky is blue, at least she is respectable and has a real chance at getting McKinney (the disgrace of Georgia) out of the House - FINALLY!

The other is between Representatives Bob Barr and John Linder. The Democratic legislature and governor chopped up both of their districts. Bob Barr decided to move out of the district he was drawn into (which leaned Democratic) despite polls indicating that he could win in it. This new district has more former John Linder voters than that of anyone else. Barr is an in your face type who won't take any gruff. However, he is often seen as a one-issue conservative. While Linder has championed true tax reform, he also is a strong proponant of a variety of conservative issues. The last poll I saw a couple of weeks ago had Linder in the lead, but I heard it has gotten close leading up to the primary.

On Tuesday in Georgia, one House Rep. will definately take it on the chin, and there is a real likelihood that another will as well.

For the record, I hope Majette and Linder win their respective primaries. I vote in the Sixth district (with one Republican running unoppsed - Johnny Isakson), so I couldn't vote in either race.

2. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Results are coming in very slowly from both of these races, indicating an expected heavy turn out in these two of Georgia's 13 Congressional districts.

As of right now, Majette and Barr are holding leads over McKinney and Linder.

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Barr is going down

With about half of the precincts reporting in, John Linder has a commanding 73-27% lead over Bob Barr.

With only 4 precincts in, Majette has a 91-9% lead over McKinney.

4. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ding, dong, the witch is dead. Majette wins.

5. Dan

Dan New Member

Her dad, one day after declaring ""Jews have bought everybody. Jews... J-E-W-S," is also losing. (he's an assemblyman) Good riddence to both.

Though to be honest with you, the American Zionist Committee did send $5,000 to all 62,000+ Georgians who pulled the lever for Ms. Majette. (in fact, her admission into Yale, her subsequent graduation, admission to the bar, and appointment to the bench were all part of The Big Jewish-Zionist Conspiracy)

And it is no coincidence that the biggest newspaper in Atlanta, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, has the same initials as the American Jewish Comittee.

Or at least in the world according to the McKinneys.

6. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    Two of our worst congresspersons swept away in one day. Joy joy joy.

Edit: BTW, the current numbers are 67-33 in the Linder-Barr race, and 61-39 in the Majette-McKinney race.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You had to know (Tr)igger Bob would be in a tough race as soon as anyone with thinner lips ran against him :p . Clinton's not around anymore for him to use in speeches to the CCC (Conservative Citizen's Council).

8. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Well, it is all but official.

With 161 of 170 precincts reporting, John Linder had beaten Bob Barr 66-34%. That will teach Bob to jump districts into another Republican's turf. Bob was reportedly rather gracious in defeat.

The witch is dead. McKinney has lost, and lost big time. Denise Majette whipped her big time 58-42% with all but one of the 174 precincts reporting in. Of course, she was far from gracious. She blames the loss on cross-over voters. Georgia has open primaries so anyone can go in a primary and pick up a ballot of either party. Why doesn't McKinney just give it up. In fact, on Monday, many calls were made to Fourth District Republicans threatening them if they cross-over and that it would be illegal to do so.

It has been a good day. :)

9. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Actually, McKinney's camp is being investigated by the state over the calls, and may face a Department of Justice investigation.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/election2002/21calls.html

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Fixed.

Good riddance to both of 'em

11. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gerrymandering sucks.
    Bob Barr blows.

12. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is a good day.
    Barr spent too much of his time going after Clinton's impeachment.
    McKinney is the goofball who complained when Guiliani turned down a big check from some Saudi Prince after 9/11 because he said the USA should not support Israel over the Palestinians.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Well said.

They'll both (most likely) be replaced by someone at the same general point on the political spectrum, but hopefully we won't have to hear as much about them.

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC she wrote a patently traitorous letter to the selfsame Saudi Prince excoriating the racist US of A and asking him if he'd be willing to give the money to black people instead because of - wait for it - 400 years of slavery.

The scary thing is that she, and her Jew-baiting old man, just don't get what happened here. She'd be loathe to see that she is the victim of the same broom that took out Bob Barr - these are serious times, and they call for serious people, not loose cannons and wingnuts.

Bob Barr is a cynical hack. Cynthis McKinney is certifiable. Good riddance.

15. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    Technically, she is right, cross over votes did beat her. As a Democrat, I'm completely happy with that. I think she was one of our worst members and I'm really glad to see her go. What she doesn't get is that making rediculous comments like the Pres. knew about the attack and wanted his buddies to benefit is what really lost the election for her. I don't like this President at all, but come on...he knew the attack was going to happen?

Also very glad to see Barr gone--7 of 13 Impeachment Managers are out of the House. It was a really good day!

The only downside--with the loss of the likes of Traficant, McKinney, and Barr, people might start to take the House seriously. As someone on the other side of the Hill, that is scary :)

16. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now more than ever the voters of Orange County CA need to bring back B1 Bob Doran.

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Good afternoon Mr. Daschle ;)

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm gonna puke.

Hey Cindy, why not ask him to use the money to buy freedom for the Sudanese enslaved by his Muslim brothers. I won't even ask you to be so courageous as to ask him to free the slaves still in Saudi Arabia.

Jesus, this is like some Jewish leader in France asking Arafat for $$$ to rebuild a bombed out synagogue.

When she came in, from what I read of her, I thought she was a pretty good pol. But man, she turned out to be the worst. The absolute worst.

PS...to add to the happiness, y'all know Jesse Helms is retiring this year, right?

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    unrelated - love your sig superdave

20. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan

However, she is implying that it is somehow illegitimate (or even illegal) for Republicans to vote in the primary. Neither is the case. There is NO CHANCE a Republican will win in that district. So, Republicans knew that if they were to have any input into who would be THEIR representative, they had to cross-over. I have no problem with that. It was a combination of mainstream Democrats and Republicans who ousted her (not to mention her big mouth). I think this is something that the mainstream in both parties agrees on.

Exactly right!

However, while McKinney was a victim of her own big mouth, Barr was a victim of a gerrymandered redistricting system that squeezed him and a popular, and effective, Congressman John Linder. Georgia got TWO more districts than before, and the Democrats that control the state legislature still forced them together.

That is hilarious. :)

21. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Actually, no. Barr was not a victim of the Georgia Legistlature, but a victim of his own ego.

When the districts were redrawn, John Linder (the man who beat Barr in the primary) found himself living in Cynthia McKinney's district, where it is impossible for a Republican to win, so he moved to the new 7th district, where he already represented 34% of the people. At the time the districts were redrawn, Barr represented only 17% of the people in the new 7th district.

But Barr was still in the 11th district after redistricting, where 70% of his constituents still lived (versus 0% for John Linder). So he packed up and moved to the new 7th district to challange Linder.

Why? Because the new 7th district is heavily Republican, and an easy win for the guy who wins the primary, while the 11th district has more Democrats now. So Barr basically just gave a House seat to the Dems rather than face a tough November election. The kicker, though, is that if Barr had stayed in the 11th district, he would be facing Democrat Roger Kahn, who he beat in 2000!

Barr screwed himself on this one, not the Democrats in the Georgia Legislature.

22. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    [/b]

However, while McKinney was a victim of her own big mouth, Barr was a victim of a gerrymandered redistricting system that squeezed him and a popular, and effective, Congressman John Linder. Georgia got TWO more districts than before, and the Democrats that control the state legislature still forced them together.

Aw, I feel so sorry for Bob Barr. A state legislature of the opposite party redrew the Congressional lines to their own benefit--what a novel and unique idea!! Oh, wait, that happens all the time. Look at Dingell's recent race in Michigan.

Barr moved districts because he thought he had a better chance of winning against Linder. Turns out people didn't like his big mouth and his constant attacks--as the Atlanta Journal's writer put it--the people in the district woke up to the fact that Clinton was no longer President and it was time to move on. He talked to much and made a political miscalculation. Your accessment is much like mine about McKinney and crossover votes. That was HOW they lost, but it wasn't WHY.

McKinney and Barr are both horrible...McKinney more so. Glad both are gone and hope they are never seen again

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    They're gonna start a summer camp with Al D'Amato and Newt Gingrich.

24. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    if there was ever a good place for a terrorist attack.... :)

25. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Which just goes to show one thing...your first instincts suck. Please use this information the next time you feel poised to respond to something before thinking clearly about the subject. :)