Pre-match: Georgia/Montenegro v Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Aug 27, 2008.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Despite the result, I am pleased with the performance. I do feel that we need to work on finishing our chances though, we had a few really good chances that we just didn't make enough out of (plus the penalty was stonewall). Even Dunphy was very impressed in the postmatch analysis, which has to say something. My only gripe with Trap tonight was that he didn't bring on Andy Reid with about 15-120 minutes left. His composure and vision on the ball could have made a huge difference and he would have been perfectly motivated to prove a point and make something happen.

Robbie Keane had some absolutely magestic touches by the way, one through to Doyle in the first half (who was onside, despite the linesman's call) and another where he almost scored what would have been Ireland's best goal in years. Doyle also had a chance to score what would have been perhaps the best goal I have ever seen Ireland score, ever (second half volley, iirc) - it wasn't easy, but just a shame he couldn't put it in. O'shea was very impressive, and his block after Kilbane made a balls of a situation was fantastic (I think the facemask showed to be irritating him a good bit today, between silly errors and often throwing it to the sideline to be wiped).

Oh, and McGeady needs to take shooting lessons from Theo Walcott. :eek:

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a Stoke fan - how's Glenn been playing?

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Very well - these performances could see him gain a spot in your first XI if Pulis was watching, imo. His play on the ball has been good - nothing spectacular, but he has been getting off the simple passes to a more creative player consistently. Off the ball though he has been tremendous. His workrate, tough (but fair) tackling, the amount of ground he has been covering, the amount of pressure he has put on the opposition just inside our half have all been top notch, and his tactical play and awareness have also been surprisingly solid... perhaps that is Trappatoni's influence? As a player, he really is looking like a poor man's Gattuso (but still a very good poor man's Gattuso, at that). From what I have seen of Faye during his stints at Bolton & Newcastle, Whelan should earn himself a starting spot in the next few weeks/months.

BTW, nobody has mentioned Shay Given. How much do we take this man for granted? He didn't have an awful lot to do yesterday, but some of his saves (particularly a deflection off a long-range shot in the second half) were absolutely brilliant, and had we had anybody else in goals I think we might be lamenting a disappointing loss today, rather than a slightly under-achieving draw where we can praise the performance. Immense keeper, and one of Ireland's top few players of all time despite hisposition on the pitch, imo.

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    A whole lot.

He's pretty much the one constant we have.

No matter what we know Shay Given will play well. (not to jinx him):D

5. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    watched the match tonight. I thought we looked good and should've probably won it, we had the better chances (Hunt at the far post, McGeady when he was fed by Robbie). Given was solid as usual and bar Finnan (who got into the game far too late, IMHO) the back four were solid. I hope Stoke City took notice of Glen Whelans performance this past week. There were two definite penos on the stroke of half time, the handball, followed by Robbie Keane being
    unnecessarily hugged to death on the ensuing corner kick. upon review it looked like we got what we wanted. Looking forward to October.

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Given should be mentionned as one of our all time greats along with Paul McGrath, Johnny Giles, Liam Brady & Roy Keane.

7. Culgan

Culgan New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Ireland
    He should be but unfortunately he probably won't be, he is just one of those players that doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Most of the goals he concedes are due to bad mistakes from defenders.