General securities trading and discussion

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by bostonsoccermdl, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Just bought some shares of PainCare Holdings. PKZ.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Seems to me you're answering your own question, you're setting your stop too tight before you're ready to get out of the stock. As you get ready to sell it off, that's when you'll want to bring the stop in their tight. If you look at a lot of stocks, there are some big jumps up and down during the day. There isn't a lot of volume but there can be a very short amount of time when a stock my drop a dollar or two. Maybe some big investor sold a chunk off. Or maybe a bunch of yahoos just dumped some or bought some at market (doh!). Whatever the cause, you can see them in graphs. So when you set your stop, you need to keep those in mind. You don't want to loose your shirt if the bottom falls out of the stock. But then again you probably don't want to have the stock sold off when it's just one of those lil temporary dips during the day.

3. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Exactly. I was setting an arbitrary stop without looking at how the stock trades. So, now I'm customizing my stops to the stock and haven't been stopped-out yet (when I didn't want). Thankx for the advice.

MAtt, is it possible to start a thread for "stock-picks" or is that a big no-no?

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I dont see it being a big deal.

If you just explain what you are doing in the thread and explain in the thread that you arent advising, just reporting what you did.

If it gets out of hand for some reason, we can always close it down.

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Closing this thread since the stock picking one has pretty much taken its place.