General playoff question

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Arisrules, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    What times are the playoff matches over the next 2 weeks. Are they all at 5 pm? Also, what is going to be shown on tv. I scrolled through the MLS playoffs website, but I couldn't find anything solid.

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are rules question concerned with tie games after regulation.

It is my understanding that in the 1st round, there is no OT. If tied after 2 games, there is a mini-game (not an OT of the 2nd game) before pks if necessary. With a mini-game, a player who was subbed out of the 2nd game can play, as could a player who received a red card in game 1. Am I correct?

It is my understanding in the semi-final and championship games, that if the game is tied at the end of regulation, there is extended golden goal OT (not a mini-game) before pks if necessary. Am I correct?

4. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country

Well put. This is exactly how I understood it, too, though it would have taken me a lot more words to explain it so clearly.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no "mini-game." The extra time is part of game 2.

6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. Players will have to be ready for a possible 150 minute game starting with game 2 of the first round. No mini-game means no re-entry, and red cards in regulation carry forward to OT.

Here is the quote from MLSnet.com:

"NOTES: Series A – D played under home-and-home, total goals format … Game One ends after 90 minutes … If teams tied on aggregate, 30-minute, golden-goal overtime period follows (played in two equal 15-minute halves), then by penalty kicks (if necessary) to determine Series winner … Higher seed holds home-field advantage for Game Two … Conference Championship Games and MLS Cup 2003, if tied after 90 minutes, determined by 30-minute, golden-goal overtime (two equal halves) … If neither team scores during that time, the series will be decided via penalty kick shootout held according to FIFA regulations …"

7. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Don't you mean 120 minutes?

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another correction: 120 minutes