General Banter NSR

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by JohnnyRanger, Jun 30, 2011.

1. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    My dad was telling me there was a rumor Axel was already in a dialogue with a coach in Mexico!

I am not sure Bair will make it overseas beyond a 2nd or 3rd tier league. I may be too hard on him as he is playing in front of the Caps midfield, but I am not seeing it yet. He's Canadian so I damn sure want to see him succeed wherever he ends up playing.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GAME VS TFC- AUGUST 18- 0-3 LOSS

and the score flattered the Caps - the 86'er team of the 1989 season could have beat this disorganized 'expansion' team- a USL2 performance with less passion and skill

truly an embarrassing performance

i give it the next 5 games and if things dont change, then axel will dismiss MDS and his staff and start the rebuild with a new head coach (who is available and would come here is a BIG question) and his staff for the remainder of 2020- sell adnan and reyna, maybe even crepeau- the left-over players shouldnt be in MLS IMO- we need a coach with proven experience and success, much like orlando got in pareja

i believed in and supported MDS, but his player signings have been just plain HORRIBLE... and cava hasnt scored a goal YET!! i just dont know what his game plan was tonight and i dont think the players did either

3. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I think MDS is gone regardless of how they perform the rest of the way. Too much failure to recover from over a few games when he wasn't hired by the man in charge.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    apparently, the Caps will acquire more $$$$$$$$$$ for Alphonso's terrific season with bayern- reportedly in the +$1 mill range

do the owners get to keep it or must it be spent on salaries and/or acquiring new players ?

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Must be spent on the club. Just like the first 13 million. Lets hope for the Caps sake that Axel spends it better than MDS did. Transfer fees for middling players can be used up fast; and its brutal that half of the davies money spent already is on players who are either being shipped out or should be shipped out.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, after bringing in over 17 players for 2019-2020, i can only see 3 that are worthwhile-adnan, crepeau and cavallini (albeit, he hasnt scored in 6 games!!!)- the rest have either been busts, havent played according to their resumes or dont buy into MDS' coaching methods/tactics

AND THATS A LOT OF WASTED MONEY for a coach that i supported from day 1

7. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MDS was atrocious at international signings and most of the original davies money has been spent. He certainly should be sacked.

The club should do better with the money they have, a lot better. At the very least be competitive. This squad would have a tough time in the CPL right now.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    are you insulting the CPL ?

9. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    hah, good one :) I probably am by claiming the Caps could be competitive there:p

10. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    USA NATIONAL TEAM LINE-UP VS PANAMA this month- interesting to note that akinola of TFC isnt on the listed team

is it true he is leaning to play for Canada ?? that would be another striker bonus

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    COUNT ME SKEPTICAL: from the Whitecaps site in an interview with CEO, Axel Schuster:

Having already defined the profile of players they’re looking for, and identified the key spots they’re looking to fill, the team is well into the scouting stage of the process, another part of the staff that the club has been quietly building.

“Most of the scouting is being done today, on video and with stats,” said Schuster. “Since I arrived in the club, we’ve added five people under contract that are working in our scouting and recruitment department and doing all this job.”

hired 5 scouts- REALLY ??- since Axel wont reveal the names of the scouts for an absolutely ridiculous reason of not wanting the scouts to be bothered by agents, we are to assume this is true- I DONT! nothing stated from the FO and Owners is to be trusted after years of inane statements/lies

how many years have we heard about a dynamic leader in the # 8 or 10
    position ?? since 2011- the closest the Club came was with the loud-mouth-arrogant, barry robson, who did have talent, but his attitude towards his teammates and MLS was SHITE (Pedro morales' body had worn out shortly after he arrived)

13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It doesn't matter how many scouts they have. If all they are allowed to source are free transfers, loans, and low transfer fee people paid for by their own transfer sales, they are going to stay within the range they always are.

He seems to have forgotten to update us on the significant announcement they were going to hire a chief revenue officer!

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    RE: BOB BIRARDA ARREST

Former Whitecaps women's coach arrested on sex charges | The Province

i wonder if this will open a whole can of worms of the Caps systemic sexual assaults and denials/cover-up- it did crop up in the boys academy program a few years ago; how he was hired at Coastal FC organization is still to be uncovered

this could have more legs - well done, Ciara McCormack, the assaulted women involved and the Vancouver Whitecap supporters

as it should be, he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law or he makes a plea deal to lighten the sentence

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and thanks to the visiting portland timber army who walked out with us

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I would like to summarize some people who should get credit and some who should not

I am fully aware that the embarassment of the walkouts on TV is what got Kerfoot to show his lovely face to meet with the women. However, I do wish to point out that the SS didn't get involved as a group until the letter of over a dozen women came out; they did nothing when Ciara did her blog post and their forum was rather harsh on her at that time.

I only point this out because there were a lot of people calling the Caps and complaining before this happened. So thank you for the mass walkouts, and the one with the Timbers Army tipped the scale; but don't forget who noticed when the only voice was Ciara McCormack. It was a small number of fans, ticket holders, and a few media people.

As for media, Bob Mackin and a fellow from News 1130 (cant remember his name), were quite detailed in their coverage and they actually dug. Good for them.

JJ Adams and Paul Chapman were aggressive at the start and JJ even met with some of the women. However, they ceased their dig and didn't report as much as they were told which may or may not be because of the rules or directives from their management. I was not happy that they stopped after the initial outrage.

When the report came out; it got attention for one day. Daphne Brahm (if that is how you spell it) at the Vancouver Sun did a good article tearing into the meat of this. Matt Sekeres on Team 1040 had Mallet and then Ciara and he absolutely brutalized her in their interview. It was extremely unprofessional and bullying a victim. He then made several tweets after further degrading her.

There is also someone who is well known in supporters circles, brands herself as "Har Journalist". Her coverage on the day the report was released included the Caps written summary, a quote from Mallet, and a "quote" from an anonymous player who was happy with the report. Shameful to shill for the club like that especially from a woman; but she does do a lot of interviews with the club and players and may want to keep that intact.

There also is no tangible evidence that this report meant anything to the club. The management back then are still with the club, same owner of course. They don't have a women's program so it's difficult to measure if anything happened.

I still have questions as to how Birarda operated in youth circles in Metro Vancouver for over a decade without being noticed or exposed. The Caps and CSA knew exactly why they dismissed him and I can't believe they would not have known he was still coaching youth . Most coaches who are paid to coach teens that are at a higher level are in contact with the local pro club as well as the national body for scouting and development purposes.

These are my opinions about how the media handled this.

As for Birarda; as with anyone facing jail time, they will have incentive to plead guilty and offer up information in order to reduce that sentence. It will be interesting to see if he offers anything up that can stick to the Caps, their FO, or the CSA .

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the gum will stick to the Caps badge because the Club MUST HAVE given a good recommendation of Biararda to the Coastal FC organization who hired him - they must be pissed at the Whitecaps FO

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    That still remains a mystery; although based on the pieces we do have, and the Caps history of hiding information and silence, it certainly is feasible they would have given them the green light on Birarda so they didn't face any tough questions.

I sure wish we had media who would aggressively go after this more. There are still a lot more questions than answers about that time period.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    CONGRATS FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING !!!!!!!!!!!!

columnist, 86forever acknowledged the bob birarda arrest and charges against the Whitecap womens program

Quote: Now the Caps organization needs to continue in the vein of transparency and accountability, as we have urged repeatedly. The battle is not over and the club should not use legal proceedings as cover for not doing the right thing.

its innocence until proven guilty in a court of law- if the case does go forward, somehow, in some way, the Caps FO will be called upon- accountability for the Club that seemingly ignored the issue and then passed birarda off to Coastal FC that- to this point- seems to have avoided any incident when he was coaching

20. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Hah, for those of you who still think Carl is a great young up and coming coach, he just signed JORDAN MUTCH. Who has been with Unattached FC for quite some time now. His time in Vancouver was not very good and Carl just keeps going to his greatest hits package. Ibini is in there too.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its little wonder- i am surprised you didnt know that a person who cant coach is drawn to players who cant play- its a kinship

i recall that when carl was fired by the Caps some of the southsiders were predicting he would easily make his next coaching debut in the Champions League in england - i stated NO WAY because simply put- carl is a weak coach mainly because he wasnt/isnt capable of learning from his mistakes - and its how he ended up in a 3rd tier league of australia

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ANY NEW SIGNINGS ???

i have learned over 10 years that any apparent Cap signings are clouded in mystery, half-truths, well-baked myth, whispers/hints... believed by gullible people who hope the Caps succeed and knowing that only 2-3 significant players can do that

as usual, we are a short time away from training camp and GULP no significant signings - the Chiquinho is another FO scam - now axel is saying that he cant get players to come to the Caps because of the stadium problem - other MLS teams are making signings - treating the supporters as STUPID is not aiding in bringing back interest and belief

Axel is now entering the world of a spin 'artist' and he joins the other CEOs on the Whitecap Hall of Shame

PRODUCE OR STFU !!

23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    blaming the stadium is lame and I am tired of fans falling for it.

Seriously, if we built a glorious grass pitch stadium that was the best in the universe; would that change a player's mind when the Caps won't take on salary above a certain low threshold?

It's all the same diversion and spin and fluff we have heard for a decade. The one and only reason this club will not get better is because the owner won't pay for it. It is not any more complicated than that.

They are getting this 20 year old Columbian player. But who knows. Is he going to flop to the rigors of MLS or become something? Based on the Caps record I fall to the former; although at most the Caps will flip him for some transfer money if he performs reasonably well.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the Columbian hasnt signed YET, so its still speculation- but i do expect 1 signing at a modest transfer fee of under $2 mill-

and since the prospect of getting attendance revenue might not happen, at least until the summer, the owners will not invest to any significant amount, certainly not in the $9 mill range for a transfer bench player at Benfica (and for once i agree with them)

since MLS is loosing over $1 bill USD due to the virus, we can speculate recovery will be done by expansion fees over the next few years, just like the NBA and NHL are/will be doing- franchises #30, 31, 32 between 2023-2025, once/IF the virus is under control- just gotta find the billionaires/cities willing to take the risk

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i am wondering what incentive there is for the owners to open their wallets for 2 high quality players - with no dome games, why spend money when there will be no impact in the stands- maybe its better to save their coins until 2022- just a thought as 2021 might just be a repeat of 2020 and the games are played south of the border and there is a YAWN in vancouver - does the signing of 2 high quality players really matter ?? and will the vancouver area market really care ??