General Banter NSR

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by JohnnyRanger, Jun 30, 2011.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well my team's owners are going cheap, cheap, cheap deciding that a massive youth movement- potentially 5-6 players under 22 years in the starting line-up- only 1 significant upgrade- steve b at RB to replace the retired YP Lee- lots of trialists, but nothing really significant to be called a major upgrade

if it works, they will be shrewd, but i quiver at the thought of so many young, inexperienced players trying to take the team to the playoffs- i think chivas will be more competitive

3. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    wow, someone is posting here. I guess I should chime in, this place isn't dead yet.

You make some good points about the youth. This is, however, the same lineup as last year minus camilo. And that lineup almost made the playoffs. IF Manneh can have a breakout year, perhaps it won't be as bad as you may think.

I wonder how Manneh will handle more playing time physically. This is a physical league.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

manneh will take a beating- teams know about him so it is a major concern for an injury

but other teams keep upgrading and i not think the caps have done enough to keep up for 2014- i just do not see them making the playoffs

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MLS and don garber have effectively cleaned up/are cleaning up 2 messes in the off-season- TFC and Chivas- great progress by the head office

now onto New England whose owners are just not into the MLS mind-set of upgrading their product, but quite content at staying at the massive gillette stadium- how will the MLS brass deal with this next franchise needing a make-over??

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all I know is that at a current age of 72 Mr. Kraft sure isn't getting any younger...

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its also time to get over how much the revs owner helped save the mls from going out of business over 10 years ago- all the thanks and accolades have been done ad nauseum- the league has made great strides and its time for the krafts to get on-board, build a proper SSS or sell to new, highly-motivated owners

msilverstein47 repped this.
  8. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    MLS is too afraid to be tough on the Kraft family because they saved the league. I think NE will stay where it is for a long time.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    now that the caps have signed/will sign 2 more MF (labas and morales), i am becoming more hopeful that at least we will be in the hunt for a playoff spot in the very competitive west conference- we can all expect to see a better chivas in order to make a + impression for the new owners- i just dont see any really weak teams and it should be a great run for the 5 playoff spots

as for the caps, it will be about getting goals- their defence looks solid with a lot of experience and available players should a starter get injured; the MF is being hugely upgraded now; the forwards have pace and youth, but i still wonder of they have the ability to finish- chances will come, but will they reflect in the final score

and i like the approach and headiness of robinson as head coach- straight-forward, common-sense thinking without all the head games of our former coach who made a simple decision into a disaster

10. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very interesting off-season.
    After letting MR go, the Caps tried for Frank Yallop and Bob Bradley and failed. They ending up hiring third choice Carl Robinson.
    The Caps appear to want to go with youth. The roster looks bare.
    Darren Mattocks sounds off in his own way much to the displeasure of Whitecaps Faithful.
    Camilo disregards his contract and signs with Quetero. ( Addition by subtraction as far as Im concerned)
    Beitashour just happens to become available to replace YPL.
    TFC signs too many DP's, Laba falls into the Caps lap.
    A mass influx of South American players, which look good.
    A new DP in Chilean Morales at the 10 role.

The roster is looking formidable. Who would of ever thought. Still a long ways to go though.

11. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Quite a comeback from the club in just a couple of months. Things were looking dire not too long ago, now it is looking exciting again! Beitashour and Laba were steals.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the caps success will depend a lot on the availability of kenny miller and how long he can stay injury-free- when he plays, he elevates the team; but with his record of getting leg injuries often (partly due to the miles of running he has done in his career, and partly due to the poor quality of the turf) it will have a serious impact on making goals happen

my hope is that miller plays much like henry- taking some games off to rest his legs so he can keep healthy for the long MLS season

13. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm predicting the Caps will make the playoffs in the tough Western Conference. I'm suggesting 3rd-5th. Hopefully not too much drama at the Striker position. The team will need to pick up Robbo's new system fairly quickly.
    Any thoughts?

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    more of a re-tooling, new direction year- new coach, a lot of new MFs, and the accent on developing the young attacking players- if they are competitive and close to the playoffs, i would be delighted- making the playoffs this season would be a great accomplishment, especially in the very competitive west conference where even the chivas team will be much better than last year
    my prediction - 6th or 7th- the inexperience on attack/scoring goals will be our achilles heel

15. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Do you want to change your prediction now?

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    a very impressive display, especially by our Spanish-flavored MF who showed us what might be possible- its a long season, but i was impressed by their teamwork, creativity, energy/fitness, their stringing of multiple passes to create openings in the Bulls backline- even mattocks played as part of the team and created space for himself and others (still cant finish worth a damn!!)

ousted needs more work on taking/punching crossed balls- he made several mistakes that could have cost us dearly

but here's hoping...

17. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey guys, sorry this doesn't really fit the thread but I didn't want to start a new one just to ask one question.

I might actually be in Vancouver during the time of the Whitecaps-Impact game...based on your experience, by when do I have to take care of tickets if I want to go to the game to make sure I don't end up empty handed?

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well if they play to a good result against chivas this weekend, and considering it is vs montreal, a canadian rival, the game could be a very good draw

it only costs between $20-25 , so buying a ticket by next monday would be a good idea IMO- if u cant make it, its not a big cost to loose

19. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for the advise!

20. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chivas Game: I think alot of people underestimate Wilmer Cabrera, who has previously served as Coach in Bradenton. I think he will really help that club.
    Once Chivas went down to 10 men, with the refereeing being shaky as it was, the Whitecaps seemed gun-shy about being too aggressive and ended standing around all game all the time worrying that they would get a "even-up" red card.
    Ousted is not looking like the same guy from last year.
    I guess we will see how things go against the Revolution. I would think Teibert would be back into the line-up. His energy seem to be very useful.
    No DeMerit.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i dont think that frank yallop was ever a serious contender as head coach- hell he was in the vancouver area over the off-season and as far as i know, never even received a phone call- they did try jason kreis and bob bradley and when both turned down the job, robo was the next logical choice and might just be the best in the long run

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    NRC has looked very average/less than average for the first 3 games and i think he might just get some bench time- he is giving up the ball far too easily, sometimes in critical places, and is just too slow in moving the ball; his lack of energy and thrust in going forward, something he did well last year on some occasions, is non-existent

time to give koffie or nicolas mezquida more playing time

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States