Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji Wright has some physical gifts that lots of teams would be willing to take a punt on. A "languid playmaker" who has played and been rejected by a steadily declining quality of teams is not quite as marketable. With his play style he'd probably make a good coach though...

Thundering165 and Gacm32 repped this.
  2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3127 adam tash, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Zelelam actually on the bench for NYCFC in the conference finals tonight???

surprised I thought he was retired or something

*only 24....seems like he has been around forever!

edcrocker and madvillain repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's been on the bench for just about every game since coming back from his knee injury in September.

In his only start, in the final game of the regular season, he got a straight red 21 minutes in.

dark knight, ttrevett and adam tash repped this.
  4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow thats good news...i really thought he was dunzo career-wise.

nice little collection of us-eligible mids on NYC now - zelalem, parks, morales, sands, etc

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1 start, 6 subs this season. 99 minutes total I think...

He's 24.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So, @adam tash is wrong. He's not done, career-wise, just getting a nice and comfortable seat in the last chance saloon.

7. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please, there's way further to drop than NYCFC. Last chance saloon is a team in Saskatoon after all.

The Irish Rover and adam tash repped this.
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    VVV Venlo was pretty darn low.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I looking at the glass half-full? clearly.

I never said hes going to Qatar with the USMNT

but his career is not over. like it seemed it might have been at one point.

Hes in the gameday roster for a team in MLS cup. is that not a positive?

10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not picking on you, but this is something I don't totally understand with the current state of fandom: of people saying xyz player is trash or xyz team is trash. These are high level professional players and teams.

I can't be bothered to look for which, but VVV was in one of the top 2 leagues of Holland whenever Zelalem was there. There is such a huge drop off between that level and whatever actually would be considered rock bottom. Almost every country on the globe has at least one semi-pro league, and dozens have *many* professional leagues. It has been the failed dream for thousands of VVV fans to suit up for the first team - in any division. A player for VVV is still probably in the top 1% of players on a global scale (talking Andorra to Zimbabwe)

I hope the guy sticks around and there are many levels he could make a comfortable wage and show well...one of the top tiers in one of the top 10 countries on Europe is not even close to the bottom.

Alemannia repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If MLS had any class they would have lent him to Philly for the game, like any good Sunday league... but I digress.

adam tash repped this.
  12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The fact that he's HEALTHY enough to be doing this for NYCFC is a big uptick from what I feared earlier. Still has some room to improve, or find a team that needs more of his help at his best positions.

The Irish Rover, freisland and adam tash repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am always happy when a player can recover from injuries set-backs to get back on a team and cashing a check. It can't be easy.

The Irish Rover, Winoman and wixson7 repped this.
  14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Any reason to keep this thread going?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, yeah! Euro cred keeps its value. And also, there's a chance he could go back to Arsenal any time now, even though they're years away from having him under contract.

Winoman and dark knight repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Every Gedion needs a balm now and again.

Winoman repped this.
  17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Good point - I guess we could sticky it and rename the forum after him?

Fair enough to have some reminiscing until the MLS off season but probably should close after.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My guess is interest will quickly fade, except me and tomas who will keep this on life-support with occasional nostalgic memories of players long gone from YA...

That's it - we need a catch all "where are they now!" YA thread!

You are welcome.

felloveranddidanadu and dark knight repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appears to be headed to Portugal:

Tom Bogert
    @tombogert

Former NYCFC midfielder Gedion Zelalem is headed to Boavista. No deal is totally set yet, but the Portuguese club interested.

Zelalem, turning 26 this month, broke through at Arsenal. Spent time with Rangers then the last four years in MLS with NYCFC and Sporting KC.

20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, apparently....

will be hilarious if his career gets back on track and MLS didn't even use him much

Winoman repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be even more hilarious if you spin that as a negative for MLS when if the shoe was on the other foot it would be one for Europe/Portugal.

Hey, I guess this news means if you go to MLS and things don't work out, there will always be a spot for you in some top 10 European League. Am I doing this right?

tomásbernal repped this.
  22. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I like him a lot. Too bad that ACL tear seemed to derail him. Wonder if he struggled to still care about football for awhile.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ACL wasn’t helpful but it didn’t change his trajectory. Physically, he’s just too limited.

24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well everyone has written him off....even supposed USMNT fans, it seems....so its not just MLS that the other shoe should be on.....

NYCFC didnt really play him much....I dont think that particular MLS club has a great track record using and getting the most out of American talent...more of a way station for cty group, imo
    their two best "success stories" never played for the club basically (reyna and scally)

if Mls is going to insist on strict territorial rules for where players can play and NYCFC is going to continue to waste the most prolific territory of american talent...they are going to keep being a target of my ridicule.

Whatever the case, I hope Zelalem gets a chance to actually play again and does well...I think he's a talented player who just doesnt fit well with the current trends in the sport, mostly....

uniteo and MayaDempsey repped this.
  25. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    The team hasn't been around that long, and has had success with Reyna, Scally, and Sands. Parks, Morales, and now Gray have all been major contributors. Meanwhile they just played 4 U17s in their opening friendly against Minnesota. You just have to be good enough. They're not particularly worse than most MLS clubs in terms of HG talent.

I personally thought Zelalem got a bit of a raw deal at NYCFC. He showed flashes in possession but the new manager did not ever seem to trust him, even when there was no midfield depth at all. He's just a traffic cone at best as a defender. He had a good game against DC United this last season, and then never played again.

adam tash repped this.