Gazza's American Dream

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Chester FC, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Here's a quote today from Gazza that seals the deal for me:

"I just want to be myself, have a life," he said. "I am not here to cause any trouble, I don't want to cause any bother."

Paul is looking for redemption, to re-invent himself. This is a classic American tale. I got a little weepy reading the quote:

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=sportnews&StoryID=1257959

It would be simply unAmerican not to sign him!

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
  3. brubbabriggs

brubbabriggs New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    I think it's just more of a case of being anonymous. European soccer players like to vacation here because it provides them with privacy that they no longer have at home. And due to (non sports related ) cultural similarities, it's pretty much a no-brainer for an English soccer player to want to come here late in his career. He'll probably end up getting recognized here and there if he does play in DC, but generally he'll be able to go out in public and enjoy himself without the hassle he's probably very used to (must be pretty over the top in England). That's got to be a very attractive proposal...

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The tabloid press will follow him.
    Papers like the Daily mirror follow people around the world.
    Gazza has been hounded for over 10 years.

5. Felix World soccer

Felix World soccer New Member

Jan 20, 2000
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    I like the man and I think he is going to have some fun damnit!

6. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I'm no fan of Gazza. But I will be if he does good for our league!

7. Doesnt Gazza like the limelight?

8. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    lock up yer wives & daughters, Gazza's in town

I'm happy Gazza's coming to the league and hope he gets signed. I know some think it's suspect and that it flaunts the old criticism that MLS is a "retirement home" for old footballers, but we all know that's a bunch of crap anyway. With only 3 foreign players allowed per squad it's hardly as if teams or the league are inundated with non-US players. Not by a long shot.
    I think it's cool that we get some internationals, even if some of them are past their primes. Alot of them are still great players, not to mention alot of them happen to be some of the most skilled and best players in the league.
    Stoichkov and Nowak are two of my absolute fav. players on my club and similarly Gazza is going to be fun, good(I hope!) and entertaining to watch(and root against and dispise I'm sure). So cheers, Gazza and here's to ya! good luck. :)

9. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I hope you are right!
    We might all be pleasantly surprised.

10. Sam the Butcher

Sam the Butcher New Member

Sep 20, 2001
    Highlands Ranch, CO.
    What else does DC have to lose at this point? Sign him!

11. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Article in Washington Post

Today's Washington Post had 2 articles on Gazza, one in the sports section dealing with the news conference and one in the Style section that was more of a feature on the person. The author, Desson Howe is a native of England and is one of the Posts movie critics. He also wrote an article about the England v Argentina game during the WC.
    Here's the link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8085-2002Jul26.html

12. ArtForceOne

ArtForceOne New Member

May 10, 2002
    Akron, Ohio USA
    If Gazza was an American athlete, his life would have been made into an episode of " Beyond the Glory" on Fox.

That show is like the sports version of VH1's "Behind The Music".