Gazza to Wolves?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by womble, Nov 3, 2003.

1. womble

womble New Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Brighton
    Another season and yet another story that this fat waster has got himself into shape and is ready for a 'miraculous' return to the Premiership. I'll give you good odds that in a few weeks time there will be stories about how lardarse has been drinking himself into oblivion again or has picked up another (self-inflicted) injury. I rate Dave Jones as a manager and can't believe he'd risk ruining the chemistry at the club taking a flyer on fatboy.

Vinnie Jones was (rightly) vilified for his on and off pitch antics. I never cared for Jones as a player or a man but one thing you can say is that there were never any stories of him striking his wife (or any other woman). Gascoigne got regularly pissed out of his skull and beat his missus to a pulp yet he's still seen as a lovable rogue or 'clown prince' who's had a few bad breaks. The only bad breaks lardy has had were those inflicted on himself trying to snap Gary Charles legs in half and delivering a forearm smash to George Boateng's head.

Perhaps I'm desperately out of touch and giving the wife a 'slap' is now just seen as an acceptable part of laddish behaviour. This must be the case as the excitement always rises whenever porky starts his latest comeback in America, China, Exeter, Wolverhampton etc. Not bad for a player who's made a career on blubbing in Italy.

Dave Jones, don't do it.

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gazza has been with Wolves for about two weeks already. Dave Jones offered him the facilities to get fit again and then take it from there. Rumours that he is actually to be employed by them can, as far as I know, not be substantiated at this point.

As to the rest of it, he's been a prat for a long time. But he's also ill. Not an excuse for related behaviour, but a fact nonetheless.

Personnally, I would be very happy for the guy if he got another chance to let football get him through some of the shit he has on his plate. Whether he will ever stop being daft about his problems is another matter.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Better late then never eh Womble?

Paul Ince is one of Gazza's best mates and it was Paul who asked Dave Jones if Gazza could use our facilities to get fit.

Do people ever stop to get details or is jumping to conclusions the thing to do.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    WIFEBEATER!

5. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    Get your face out of the newspapers for one minuite and you might come to some other conclusions! This is one of the most obnoxious posts I have ever read. Who the *#*#*#*# are you, Ann Robinson!! The past is in the past, do you think he should pay for what heppens all over again, or do yo think that morons like you have made him pay enough already. So he drinks!1 So *#*#*#*#ing what, he was brilliant for England, I remember how he performed in '90, and other great moments like his miraculous goal against Scotland! He has been a great player who deserves another. Im sure you have never made mistakes pal, but the rest of us can understand!!

6. womble

womble New Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Brighton
    The drinking is one thing, this is an addiction, sickness, whatever. If he's sorted himself out , then fair play to him. Maybe he deserves another chance, perhaps I'm too harsh.

What I don't like is the fact that he beat the crap out of his wife/girlfriend but because he scored a cracker against the sweaties and bawled his eyes out in Italy during a 15 year career he's still seen as a returning hero every time he starts another failed comeback. He's been no better than Vinnie Jones.

Sky showed footage of him playing for the Wanderers stiffs at some non-league ground (Telford?) last week. In the limited action he just looked old and slow, perfect for the Wolves midfield in fact. (only joking Eggy, no Milton Keynes cracks please)

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    He was in the Reserves against Sunderalnd.

Whats the problem with a guy wanting to renew his career?

And yes, Milton Keynes a luvly place for the Dons.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just for the record, and according to Sheryl Gascoigne herself, he only hit her once. He did not "beat her to a pulp" or even "beat the crap out of her". And he lost her for that, he lost his wife and his kids and he has worked ever since to get them back. According to latest newspaper coverage that I have seen, he appears to be much closer to them now as a result of his efforts and it is to be hoped that they will help him with his illness.

As should a comeback, if he actually ends up making one.

With regard to his career, it is a bit more than a goal against Scotland and a decent world cup. He was amazing for large parts of his career. He didn't just appear at the World Cup. He was 23 and a reasonably established England international by then.

He was also actually pretty decent in Italy, when he wasn't injured. Certainly, the Lazio fans loved him, albeit that his off-the-field antics did play a role in that.

And he was, of course, a true genius for Rangers, on the admittedly less meaningful stage of Scottish football.

9. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    You gotta face it, how happy would you be for the guy if say, at the end of the season he has secured a contract at wolves, broke into the first team and sensationally scores an amazing goal to keep Wolves up on the last day. It would be amazing and i for one hopes he gets a chance to prove what he can do, i guess its the old romantic in me, but, i tell ya what, it would be worth it, just to see the guys face, knowing that, by doing what he does best he has helped a team from being relegated. Go Gazza, the country loves you!

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    He did give us the greatest goal ever scored in a Spurs uniform.

11. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    The free-kick against Arsenal do you mean? Great goal. He and Lineker were brilliant in the Tottenham glory days! Good luck to Gazza, the past is in the past. Perhaps he is too old now, but you cant blame the lad for trying!

12. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Paul Gascoine is the Yosser Hughes of world football.

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I'll always love Gazza. Hope it works out for him and he gets something going.