Gazza to Dundee???

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GersMan, Aug 5, 2002.

1. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
  2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also been linked to third division side Darlington, or at least they've supposedly made an offer.

3. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Sky Sports News on Saturday reported that Gazza's agent Elliott is saying, "the door is still open with DC United." I thought this was odd, but just passing along the tidbit that I saw.

Tim

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provided he can get through it without stumbling!

Gang, I really think United is just being polite about why they turned him down.

K

5. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    I think you may be right. It's a shame. But, I think you may be right.

Of course, even by his own statements, he didn't expect to be game fit until the season was over anyway.

6. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Sky Sports is reporting Dundee as pursuing Gazza as of Monday night.
    Mark

7. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    ...only because it bounced off Gazza's backside on his way out...

8. go_united_go

go_united_go New Member

Mar 12, 2002
  9. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The newspapers here (the Glasgow Herald anyway - I'm on holiday in Scotland) are saying the Gazza REALLY wants to come to DC but with only 6 or so games left (do they know something about the playoffs that we don't :(? ) the league, DC and Gazza decided it was not worth the paperwork this year ... but they are all still open to him getting a contract to start with DC next year.

10. go_united_go

go_united_go New Member

Mar 12, 2002
  11. DCUEngerland

DCUEngerland New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Germantown, MD
    "....At that point, it seemed that any hopes of Gascoigne playing out his days in the sun-kissed and stress-free Stateside league had been dashed. "

Stress-free! He wants to try sitting on our side of the fence!

12. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Well, this is just so damn confusing now, I don't know who or what to believe.

I have to say though, this bit from Elliott could plausibly be a spin job to keep his client's chances alive. The tip-off for me is the statement that our season begins in "January." That is very far from the truth. Maybe that would be a good time for a new signee to get to grips with the area and culture...but that is far from the start of our season.

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More likely a common Euro misconception. Since most of their leagues go on break around the holidays it might be assumed that that is when we start up over here. Though March is early enough as it is.

14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC will have new Discovery options available as of January 1 if they want to pursue that route (and assuming the player acquisition rules don't change again). Maybe that's where the January timeframe comes from.

Don't most MLS clubs start pre-season training in February sometime?

15. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    You are correct, and yes.

I also noticed that Berhalter intends to look toward MLS in January. That would coincide with the opening of one of those now rigid European transfer windows. Maybe that is the basis for the January comment.

This is just way too confusing. I quit.

Tim