Gas: $2 dollars per gallon

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Oct 18, 2004.

1. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Yes, it's too cheap.

2. AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Utica NY
    Its 2.20 by me. Maybe some people should stop complaining and stop buying suvs. For us in America it is so much cheaper then in Europe.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With crude oil costing about $1.30 a gallon and removing the taxes generally added to the price of gas at the pump, I don't see how refiners are surviving at all. Expect gas prices to rise a great deal after the election.

Also, airlines are doomed. Except Southwest, as they did a good job hedging the oil market.

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Well we live in a free market so it's sink or swim.

I think there is a good sized lag between crude prices and pump prices so I could see $2.50 in the near future.

5. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    This week in my area it seems to be floating between €1,15 and €1,20 per litre! By comparison, you have it cheap. Then again, I rely on public transport (train) to get me to and from work, which is just as well.
    If the price rises continue, I expect less people to be so easily willing to use their car (especially if they have a good public transportation system), and the knock on effect in tax revenues for governments will be devastating.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Agreed.

People have no problem paying more for a coffee or bottled water.

7. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I think there is a bubble in the oil market. Yet, we need to do a better job in consuming less here in the US. For all you people who drive those big SUV, what the hell were you thinking?

8. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    $2 a gallon again? it's been between 1.60 and 2.20 for the last several yers, and it's relatively cheap still when adjusted for inflation. Yeah, it's a "record" for crude to reach $55 per barrel, but again, when you factor in natural inflation, a record should be set pretty much every year. Each year the price does NOT set a record means gas is getting cheaper.

9. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    in fact, in the article it states that $2.95 a gallon is what the inflation-adjusted record would be.

gas is cheap.

10. Acombfosho

Acombfosho New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    What's the big deal? Is this supposed to be a joke or something?

It costs 87.9 Pence per Litre in the United Kingdom, that is about $1.50 a liter which is $6 bucks a Gallon.. Get over it

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Price in the UK is just over $7 a gallon at the moment.

12. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    yeah ok its $6 a gallon over there, but youre cars are generally more fuel efficient than what americans drive, youre driving distances are generally shorter and if you live in an urban area of any size at all more than likely youve got good, reliable public transit... so figure in the long run that $6 a gallon may actually not cost you as much.

13. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Well that is the fault of the US motor manufacturers and the US Government then. You want SUVs, you want no public transport (costs tax money). So you get what you wanted. If not, petition your government.

14. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks for a guy like me that doesn't make a whole lot of money and trying to raise a family. Granted, I do recognize that the price of gas has been very low by comparison. However, you can't seriously compare the price of gas with Europe because a very large chunk of their gas price is tax, not profit going to the oil companies.

15. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    You need an Audi A2 tdi; VW Lupo tdi; or

a horse and cart.

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Buy a Prius. 65mpg combined cycle.

Having said that, me and the missus have both got diesels and that sorts out the running costs too.

17. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drive a Saturn SL1. It gets about 40 MPG. I'm not sure why because it isn't rated that high. I tested it several times because I thought it was fluke. Besides that, the car was dirt cheap and takes a beating.

A horse and cart would suck with my 80 mile round trip daily commute. I can't wait for the day when I can find a job closer to home.

Audis are nice. VW aren't bad. But there's no way I would drive a Prius. Funny coming from a guy that drives a Saturn, I know.

18. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Only homosexuals are allowed to buy these in the US.

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Really? How quaint.

The new Prius is an excellent car. Certainly much better than anything America and a sizeable part of Europe is building at the moment.

20. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how's yours holding up?

21. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oooh. I resisted that line. Only just, mind. :D

22. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the enemy shows you his broadside, you have to take the shot.

23. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    I love ****** vehicles--drive a Toyota Land Cruiser myself.

24. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself!