Garber's reply to my email

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by yalpstel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Just setting the record straight."

Again?

"And apparently, a lot more ppl around here appreciate it..."

Riiight.

"Hello!! In the next few months, SSV is going to need your help to focus on the overall goal of MLS in NoCal."

Great. When SSV sends out that email, I'll rally to the cause. Not one a Galaxy fan playing board cop calls us out for it. Go away.

2. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read your posts for MONTHS. They are the same thing over and over again. You are playing board cop on the day our team is moved. Get your left hand out of your lap, realize how meaningless your words are tonight and allow Quake fans to vent. Are you worried we are damaging the ability of AEG to keep a team in San Jose like you wrote some time ago. Too ********ing late for that, isn't it. Just..go..away.

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos, can you give us a God damned break here? There was a perfectly fine conversation going on in this thread and you and Bailamos came in and ********ed it up. Just leave us alone for a couple of days, "m'kay"?

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you high?

5. Eskandarian11

Eskandarian11 New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    No, are you??

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think everyone on bigsoccer could benefit from being high right about now.

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rivalry was great, I have no problem with the Gal fans, but, I just don't care for your team. Sorry, but the thought...of cheering Cobi or Herc....just.....makes me.....uugh. :p

8. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA

You really think Chivas CD USA was right for the league?

You think the exhibition against Real Madrid in the middle of the US Open cup was good for the league and U.S. Soccer.

You think Salt Lake City should be one of 12 Major League Soccer cities?

You are from uranus.

9. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA

Dude, you do not know how much we hate LA - I'd root for Red Star Belgrage before I rooted for L.A.... Hell, I'd root for the North Korean national team before I rooted for L.A. I won't even go to a game in L.A. I wouldn't give AEG a nickle... a kick in the groin would be nice, though

10. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Damn, davez, a post I totally agree with. I'd root for North Korea, first, too. Come to think of it, Cobi looks a bit like the son of Kim Jong Il. At least in attitude.

11. Gordygooner

Gordygooner New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Looking forward to adding a new team to your attendance & dragons feast next season. Should keep you on your toes for the next few months. I bet you can't contain yourself can you?

12. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Scaryice.......FVCK YOU!!

13. Gordygooner

Gordygooner New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    So, let's get this straight, only the Galaxy have made a profit so far? And that was.............
    $200,000!
    That's not a lot of money. More pertinently, who else is losing money (naturally everybody) and how much? Seriously, where's the transparency with these mothers?

Btw, that article strokes a large tool, but is way off the mark with some of its claims:

The average is about half of Europe's top leagues, but significantly above the Argentine league (about 10,000) and the Netherlands (about 12,500).

I suggest wrong on all those counts. Specifically, Holland is 16,500. Oh, and that'd be bums on seats, not tickets that AEG is buying at a loss.

Yeah, Garber - the tw*t - is right, there's no such thing as charity. Looking forward to the day he's out of work.

14. Gordygooner

Gordygooner New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    but you just pointed out an article that suggests that they have only recently clocked a profit of.....kerchinng...(inverts pinkie to lower lip) $200,000. Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?
    How about ******** off and don't come back.

15. Gordygooner

Gordygooner New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    no - now's the time for you to suck your thumb and play with your weenie.

16. ickenham

ickenham New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Lisbon, Portugal
    At least the name QUAKES will stay in the Bay Area

I cant wait for 2007, the Bay Area team vs Houston, its going to be awesome

17. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005

Oh, Good Lord, the article isn't for this year, it's about when the Galaxy first made a profit, (2002,or 2003, I think) and it's not going to be a very big margin the first time any organization gets in the black. It's probably a safe bet the profit margin is higher now. No other MLS team has managed the feat, by the way.

So the attendance figures might be from those years as well.

But you've just proven something else Quake fans keep doing, belittling accomplishments their team can't meet. No matter how you try to twist what your eyes see, the Galaxy average more fans than any other MLS team. Always have, and far more than the Quakes. You might argue that the figures don't seem as high as reported, but there's no doubt they're a hell of a lot higher than yours were.

18. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    I will never ever again support anything MLS for as long as I live and I articulately e-mailed MLS as to why......this includes the twenty or so (former)loyals I hang with......MLS, Garber, AEG, Uncle Phil.....good luck getting a fan base rebuilt in San Jose. Even mentioning 2007 was a very insulting piece of damage control. Go to Seattle or Portland.....they want to be in your crap league. We do not!

19. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear about your team......that sucks :(

I blanked on the name of the poster who wrote a long and thoughtful letter to Don Garber. I hope you do some work for SSV, that was a great letter.

There is a bright spot to this (barely) You won't have to deal with the Anschutz group as an owner again so that's one obstacle out of the way.

I guess your next step (for those of you that want to take a next step.............I understand wanting to walk away from a train wreck and not look back) is to find people who will run for city ouncil in San Jose and get one or two voices on the board. In the J-League, a team in Ehime managed to force the league to accept their bid in J2 because the community, local government, and business got behind an effort. you need to root out the MLB acolytes and get some good solid soccer people in government (they're gonna have to stand for other things too of course ;) ).

Good luck to all of you..............I'd much rather have a San jose team to root against than no san jose team at all.

Sorry

20. Puckguy14

Puckguy14 New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    This is my first post on here. The shocking yet not surprising. It's just a sad sad day for professional sports in the Bay Area. While AEG takes most of the blame you also blame the city, MLS, and the lack of media support.

1. AEG controls a number of teams. Which is kind of interesting since the league wants local ownership. Yet, AEG plans to keep the Houston Whatevers now. Also this profit thing in LA, do they O&O HDC? If so, perhaps look at the cut they get for having Chivas come to play in their barn. The fact is that AEG saved the Quakes a few years ago. But was never committed to staying in San Jose if they wanted a profit. Once again no matter how dedicated the Quakes fans are, they feel they can just up and move the team to the Astrodome and everything will be hunky doory and just reap the profits.

2. Bad timing for the city of San Jose. Mayor Ron Gonzales is admist of a large garbage contract scandal, to which he was censured and is now in the midst of trying to save his job, with three council members trying to kick him out so they can have it, prior to the 2006 mayoral election. So sadly, the timing of such issue while as important it was, wasn't exactly top billing.

3. Another thing about San Jose: GIVE UP ON BASEBALL! There is no way in my mind that a Major League Baseball team will move to San Jose. The city was given the territorial rights back in 1990 when it was the San Francisco Giants on the verge of moving down to the the Penninsula. Since then, MLB Commisioner Bud Selig has stated that San Jose is the Giants territory and no other changes will be made. Selig has it in for the Oakland Athletics. To quote Selig from a report on a DC television station:
    http://www.oaklandfans.com/selig/interview.html

That said, San Jose needs to give up persuing the A's to San Jose. It will NEVER happen. As much as I want it to, it won't happen. Look at Sacramento. They had the space and the plans for Arco Park, a 70,000 seat football stadium to lure the NFL in the 1990's. That continues to be empty and will be until the city realizes that it won't happen.

In the end: enjoy what you have, because you will miss it dearly when it's gone.

4. I thank Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment for their bid in acquiring the Quakes with the catch being a stadium being built. But why get out of the Quakes 4 years ago to suddenly try to look like superheroes to save the team? Also, with what money is SVS&E going to do this with? The Sharks cap number is well below the NHL team salaries as it is. Plus they're still trying to save face after the NHL lockout. There are reports they will lose $9 million this season if they go deep in the playoffs. The National Lacrosse League's Stealth is also a SVS&E O&O which made me believe that if the Quakes deal went through, 2006 was the last year the Stealth play in San Jose. This is a win-win with the Stealth because it puts an event in the SVS&E's O&O arena. Also in 2001 SVS&E was quietly up for sale. The ownership group I assume did not want to acquire the Quakes and were quickly put up for sale, to which AEG took it over.

5. Media attention has been limited. The tough part is that San Jose doesn't have the "swagger" or the "popularity" as San Francisco. So it doesn't get the attention it would if the Quakes called "The City" home. Which is in a way an option if absolutely need be, if the 49ers ever were to get a stadium deal together.

6. I don't understand the logic of MLS. The plan was to be in major markets in existing stadiums so it wouldn't lose more money. Now because the Fusion put the money up for a soccer only stadium, now the league wants a soccer specific stadium. You know how tough it is to get that done in an up and coming league (which compared to NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and perhaps even Arena Football) is hard to do. Look at San Diego. They're fighting to keep the Chargers in town. They know that the cash cow brought in by fans will help. However, MLS doesn't have that yet. But it has been remarkable how the league has gotten these stadiums.

7. Smell of conspiracy? AEG sends Quakes GM Lalas to the MetroStars. And let's not start with the controversey of Landon Donovan. Hmmm, perhaps setting up for disaster? Perhaps trying to take a page out of the script from the baseball movie classic, "Major League" by trying to dismantle a contender to the point where it would be easy to move the team out of the area if the fan base shrunk due to on-field success.

Enough said from me. I will wear my celery green Clash jersey in honor of the memory of the Quakes. They might be back in 2007, but it just won't be the same. Question being, if the A's owner backs out, who else? And when?

21. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Uhh, I would like to think that all of Northern California would not be interested in the MLS as well and not just the Bay Area. There were some matches played in Sacramento as well. Just my two cents from the Central Valley :D

22. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    You Quakes fans --

First, know that from all over the country our hearts go out to you. You showed up, your team was fun to watch, and everyone could see your passion. Sorry for your loss.

Having said that, I do think its extraordinary that the first poster got a note from Garber, and a thoughtful one at that. In the end, neither you nor Garber can force the team to stay if the owners want to go. Sucks, but not unique to MLS.

For those posters who say MLS is dead to them, I understand but sure hope this will fade a little bit over time. And, if you're ever on the east coast, come by a DCU game a few hours early. We'll raise a few to toast the Quakes.

23. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    First let me say to SJ Quake Fan, you guys are one of the best. Truly a dark day for all of you right now. I know you guys are frustrated and angry and I don't blame you. But.......

If I'm going to blame somebody i'm starting first with the local govt. The WHOLE deal reminds me of the Cleveland Browns back in the mid 90's when Modell kept saying, I need a stadium. I need a stadium. Please help me get a stadium deal done or I'll have to move. And the local guys didn't buy it, saying that what do you mean. You ARE San Jose. And then he upped and moved the team.

In the end Cleveland got their stadium and a team and I forsee the same thing happening with you guys in that you'll finally end up with a stadium and a team (Again) but it just will never be the same.

24. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Do you mean it will not be the same because they would have -
    - an owner who really wanted to own the team, make money and win.
    - their own stadium

I'm pretty sure if MLS makes it back to SJose it will be better, much better.

Noone wants to hear this now, but I think the Browns, Rams and Ravens fans are pretty good evidence of how this typically plays out once the wounds are healed.

25. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    I can't believe some of you people even call yourselves Americans? Where is your fighting spirit?

Someone takes something away and then throws you a rotten carrot and says if your good boys & girls you can have another team.

Don Garber is just being a spin doctor to AEG. AEG is obviously one of the corporations really pulling the strings here.

Don Garber APPROVED the move of the QUAKES to Houston. And you think he can throw a carrot like comment and YOU BELIEVE Don Garber??

Doesn't even it occur to you that you LOSE EVERYONE that we have known to be as the EARTHQUAKES team. EVERYONE! Don't you get it? Don't you have any allegiance to the "Team" AND the "players"?

This is just ridiculously shocking. The old saying of fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame at me, could certain resonate here.

MLS & AEG cannot be trusted. period. And for those "silent" Americans, go crawl in a hole.