Garber should force a Lampard sale

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Ghost, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I know people get antsy whenever the league gets involved in player transactions. But one advantage of single-entity is the ability to step in when the league will suffer damage. I would even say that other commissioners in other American sports leagues do so from time to time.

Right now, MLS has a new team in THE major market being treated like a second banana by their ownership. Here's a delusional quote by Manuel Pellegrini about whether a Lampard loan extension would hurt NYCFC.

When asked whether extending Lampard’s loan could potentially upset the NYC FC brass, Pellegrini responded, “I don’t think so.”

“That’s why we have long conversations with all of them and I think that’s just one club,” Pellegrini continued. “I think that what’s better for the club (Man City) is better for all the clubs.”

Obviously, the NYCFC brass is in a compromised position in dealing with Man City. So no one is really looking after MLS' interests. So the league has reason to step in. To me, the loan itself might only be a bad idea. The fact that the decision is being made in Manchester and not New York is the bigger problem.

I realize that ManCity has invested in the league. But so have 20-ish other people and organizations. And they deserve better than to have a half-committed organization treating its new partners like also-rans.

I think the league should tell NYCFC that they will not agree to a loan extension. Either he wants to be here. Or NYCFC sells him, presumably to Man City. And then go read the Riot Act to MCFC.

tallguy repped this.
  2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Yes. Garber should tell one of his bosses to sell a player. I'm assuming that you would do the same thing at your own job, right? Garber's job is basically a mediator between the disparate ownership groups and acts as a voice for them. So he has next to no say in this. What you are saying is that the other owners should force a fellow owner to sell a player. Now, do you think any owner is going to want to set that precedent when it very well could happen to them in the future?

Kot Matroskin and JasonMa repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, sell him to Man City and have them loan him out to NYCFC after February for the next 4 years ;)

xtomx repped this.
  4. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    People seem to forget Garber is working for the owners of the teams. He likely will not say boo.

CAllen91 repped this.
  5. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why should Garber say anything? NYCFC is there own team. NYCFC isn't a farm team. There is no way Man City would like after themselves before NYCFC. I know. I couldn't stop laughing too.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The last thing we need is more league HQ interference in the day to day roster issues of the clubs.

If the league was concerned about any of this they would have made clear plain rules against/for whatever the issue is before any of this happened. The league being reactive instead of proactive just further harms their credibility.

I think it's time for a commissioner who can rise above and make some clear cut consistent inflexible rules regarding the sporting aspects of the league. The last two years it seems like the league is always one step behind, making up stuff as they go along ... You can only get away with that for so long. Sooner or later you blindly walk into a big pile of shit. We're lucky that MLS has a low enough profile that these missteps don't end up on the 24 hr. sports news cycle.

7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is bad. Probably more for NYC FC than MLS. It just makes NYC FC look like a joke franchise, like Chivas USA. Potential NYC FC fans may be drifting over to the Red Bulls or the New York Cosmos. This is a very serious problem.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, people just making this bigger than what really is, shit if Man city can win the EPL and dude plays a role helping, this may be even a bigger PR boost when is all done.

But I am down for calling them Man City USA ;) That is what I will be calling them anyways.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If this is just an isolated episode of Man City "pulling rank" over NYCFC then the controversy will fade pretty rapidly.
    If this becomes a trend, then NYCFC has problems.......................................

However, its true that this isn't the kind of PR that a club wants to start with as they're trying to draw in fans.

10. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Everytime I read this thread title I have to laugh.

You can't sell that which you don't own.

tallguy repped this.
  11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I made the above statement, I did not know that Lampard only signed an employment agreement with Manchester City and never signed an employment agreement with NYCFC. Lampard is the mothership's player and can only play with Manchester City's subsidiary in New York City if the mothership allows. In other words, Lampard is not playing on loan from NYCFC to Man City.

Case closed. There is nothing Garber can do.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Teams need to learn to succeed or fail on their own merit. Teams have their own responsibility to learn from mistakes and improve on them. We don't need MLS HQ attempting to help run all the teams throughout the league. That also questions the integrity of competition. If I'm an Eastern MLS team, I want NYCFC to do poorly as it helps my own team. That's competition, pure and simple. Last thing we need is teams who are making mistakes getting help from the league while others have to fix their problems themselves. That's not true competition or a level playing field.

MLS makes the rules, the teams operate by the rules. Naturally, some will do better than others.