Garber/rights to players from youth systems...

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Kevin Lindstrom, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Pasta and Samba

Pasta and Samba New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Great news. This is a giant step in the right direction. Now we need the teams to step up and create good academy programs.

2. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    You'll be off to a good start in Dallas, at least with facilities, for a good youth system with Frisco..

3. Magi-Raistlin

Magi-Raistlin New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    SC
    Well it looks like MLS teams finally have a reason to invest in youth development as they will have rights to those players joining the team via graduating from the youth system rather than having to enter the draft. However, Garber said that there are still details that need to be worked out. For example: What if a player decides to go to college instead of joining the first team? The team that he played for in the youth system might then loose his rights...good news overall.

How do you guys see the Youth system working? I imagine that the teams will field select level teams in their local areas. The top talent in the area will probably flock to the MLS team. Then the teams will participate in MLS Youth team competitions. This would be very cool indeed! If this comes to pass I wonder if the Brandenton Academy will eventually become a thing of the past.

4. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas (first), and to a lesser degree DC, Metro and Chicago are all on their way. The rest of MLS had better catch up if they want to be competitive.

:D

Garber and GE get it.

:D

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I think you may have forgotten about the facilities at the Home Depot Center when you made that list.. David Beckham noticed them. That's where his academy will be. ;)

7. Pasta and Samba

Pasta and Samba New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Well, plenty of people get it and have wanted this for years - Arena, Gazidis, just about every GM the league has or has had, every coach - it just took a while to implement because resources had to be commited to more important things in the league's infancy (like getting off the ground). Investors didn't want to allocate dollars to academies when they needed that money to support front office staffs, marquee players, and marketing budgets. But now that the league is more secure, stadiums are on the way, and new investors are in, the investors are starting to come around. It doesn't hurt that MLS developed players sold overseas are now starting to bring the league good money.

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question...

is his academy associated with the Galaxy or Chivas? or is it indepenedent?
    i.e. will this rule effect it?

9. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I have seen no mention of it being connected with the Galaxy or Chivas in any way except that it is a partnership with AEG..
    Things could change but at this point I don't see it being the direct youth system for the Galaxy.

Here's a lot on it:
    http://www.homedepotcenter.com/pressreleases/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=182380&itype=4021&iCategoryID=0

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, when will that kick off? Because it will be a few years behind everyone already listed even if he starts now.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG... then you can bet your ass with this new rule that will change to LAG in no time flat.

12. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Well that might not be Beckham's vision to have his academy associated with one team that way.. We will see..

13. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    It opens in Carson this fall.. But again we have on indication at this time it will have anything to do with MLS and the new rule.
    http://www.thedavidbeckhamacademy.com/main.html

14. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Well then.

It still has a year or so to go to catch up with the already up and running systems. And additionally, we're talking a bit of apples and oranges. Beck's deal is a series of camps (according to the website), not established teams in a true youth system.

15. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I know.. I only mentioned Beck's thing to point out that the facilities for a youth system are in place in LA.. Unless things change in his vision of what his academy is about, it will have nothing to do with an MLS youth system directly tied to any team.