Gameday RB Arena Travel/Parking/Food/Drink/Hangout Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Mar 1, 2010.

1. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I always enjoy seeing and hearing about things like this. This is still very much what it is all about.

Well, winning the Supporters Shield, first. Of course.

Dan Kohner repped this.
  2. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm taking a few members of my fantasy football league to check out the playoff game this sunday, since the match is at 4pm, we want to find a place to catch a few nfl games and stuff ourselves. I usually park at Iberia and they dont show anything but soccer, a few other places I have eaten at before do not have TVs.

Does anyone have a suggestion or can offer a guess to something in the area? Thanks!

3. Ildiavolobianco

Ildiavolobianco New Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Bello's across from train station.

Fevernova99 repped this.
  4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded. Bello's has some of the best bar food in the area. Incredible beer selection. Over 100 different beers. They're always playing the NFL in addition to soccer and whatever else.

5. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ended up at Redds Biergarten - 220 Market Street, Newark, NJ, nice place with a lot of open space and a lot of big screens.

Will check out Bellos next time (/season ... sigh).

6. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Want to play soccer before or after the game and have drinks all at the same place. Hop Spot diner 17 Ave A & Miller st,Newark New Jersey. Brazilian & Portuguese diner in the front and in the back is a huge hanger with a turf pitch,tiki bar and Brazilian music playing. Open year round.

MetroChile repped this.
  7. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recommend staying at the Hilton at Newark Penn Station. You can walk right through the station out the backdoor and walk to RBA in about 15-20 minutes. The other benefit to this location, especially if you are coming from out of the area is your are on the center point of Amtrak's Boston to DC mainline and a hub for NJ transit. You can also get into Mid-town Manhattan in 20 minutes by train for other tourist and eating options.

8. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hot spot diner 17 Ave A and Miller st newark new jersey

Dan Kohner repped this.
  9. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hey guys. First time going to redbull arena. Do you guys recommend driving to the game or taking the train. I'm staying near the Newark airport and have a rental.

10. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    You better off taking the train, parking is not good. Once the game is over and you wanna leave the stadium to get on the highway, it's a nightmare

futgod repped this.
  11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A caveat, because it can be a challenge getting to the train at Newark Airport (and it's expensive for a relatively short trip). One option is to park on the Newark side, just east Newark Penn Station, in one of the surface lots of the Ironbound neighborhood. For example, Iberia Restaurant has a lot that is accessible from both Ferry and Market Streets, costs $10 and is within about 10 minute walk to the Arena. I would add that the cost of parking is applicable to the check if you dine at the restaurant, there's a lot of other food options in the immediate area, as well as the bars where fans congregate before the game, Belos and Catas, for two. You can also find street parking, but I expect on Saturday that will be more scarce.

The walk from Newark Penn is further than from the Iberia lot, while the Harrison PATH station is about half that distance, but with fewer options for places to hang out. If you are interested in food/drink, definitely arrive 11-11:30, as the places get busy with all the fans. Finding the Arena from the Newark side is not hard, it is literally visible from Iberia lot, and if all else fails, just follow the Red Bull fans.;) Enjoy, game days at the Arena are a lot of fun.

Dyvel and kokoplus10 repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woodrow and Zamphyr repped this.
  13. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dyvel repped this.
  14. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Has anyone used Lyft or Uber post-match from Red Bull Arena? I'm curious about the up-charge and wait times.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I will answer my own question in case someone has it in the future. It seemed difficult at the stadium, since it is a traffic bottleneck. We walked about 10 minutes into Ironbound and got one with no up-charge or wait.

The PATH closure has really made getting there from Brooklyn much less convenient.

16. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Some venues have dedicated drop-off and pick-up areas, but RBA appears not to be one of them.

17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I thought that I'd read that Red Bull Arena did, but if so its not very clearly marked as I passed 3 corners of the stadium without seeing one. In nice weather it was not much problem to walk over the bridge away from the traffic.

Woodrow repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://rew-online.com/invictus-funds-89m-construction-loan-for-tod/

The proceeds will be used for the development of two projects located within the luxury mixed-use Harrison Yards at 600 Rodgers Boulevard South, 700 Rodgers Boulevard South and 600 South Fifth Street.

Phase I includes a mixed-use building consisting of 205 residential units, 7,670 s/f of commercial space and 218 parking spaces at 600 Rodgers Boulevard South.

Phase II will comprise of 898 residential units, 204,709 s/f of retail, 1,350 parking spaces and a 200-key hotel. Phase II is located at 700 Rodgers Boulevard South and 600 South Fifth Street.

canammj repped this.
  19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------------------
    I hope this project gets off the ground and improves the game day experience around the stadium- at least places to eat etc. And who knows, how many residents will go to the game? On the assumption the parking is mainly for this buildings, none for soccer, they still need to make sure walkability from PATH station and the other areas is good for getting to the stadium.

20. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I haven’t posted for a while, but wanted to post a brief note. The debate goes back and forth about use of New York in the team name, and how the Red Bull’s really are a Jersey team. But looking at the Times this morning, for the Covid crisis, state by state numbers have NJ as the highest percentage of deaths in excess of the expected norm, 34% That’s a meta tally that includes directly and indirectly-related deaths due to the pandemic, but deaths that wouldn’t normally have occurred.

On their table, only NYC has a higher tally of percentage deaths above normal at 66%. If one were to also control for North Jersey, separate from the rest of the state, I believe the comparison would be even closer. The Ironbound has been ravaged by the disease. In a very tragic, awful way, Covid-19 has demonstrated how much we have in common with NYC.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Risotto!

Risotto! New Member

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jun 10, 2021
    I'm going to my first match at Red Bull Arena next Friday against Nashville.

Driving in early from Long Island. I'm off from work that day.

Any recommendations for pre game drinks/food? I'll be by myself. White guy in his late 30s. Prefer somewhere other fans go. I'll be there early, so a slow build up of fans would be ideal. The closer to the arena, the better.

Thanks in advance!

dark knight repped this.
  24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's been way too long since I've done this but MMMBellos aka Bellos used to be a place supporters groups would go pre- and post- game. If you cross the bridge and/or park on the Newark side, there are restaurants that fans go that aren't too hard to find. If you like food like Brazilian BBQ, I'd start in Newark and walk over the bridge for the game. You could also ask on Metrofanatic as they are more active there.