Gameday RB Arena Travel/Parking/Food/Drink/Hangout Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Mar 1, 2010.

1. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight will be the endless meat on a sword at the Brazilia Grill before the game.

2. charlieblackmouth

Feb 8, 2009
    South Ward
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was told by someone involved in the project that another parking deck in the Riverbend area is in some stage of the process. Apparently will be one of those automated ones where your car just disappears. No idea if this is something everyone's known about, what the capacity is, or what the timetable is, but there ya go.

3. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If its one of those things where they put cars on elevated racks, then i'd avoid it like the plague on a game day. Maybe good for commuters though.

4. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else see "Spanish Pavillion" featured on Chef Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares" last night on FOX?

A little scary to think that they were featured on there after reading so many mouth watering reviews on this thread. But really it was less about the quality of their food and more about the disorganization caused by the feuding brothers who run the joint. Except for that rotten chicken incident...

Anyway, the place still looks extremely tasty and I would eat there tomorrow if I didn't live 3,000 miles away.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did see that. Nice shout out for the Ironbound.

I wonder how many people elsewhere in the country were watching and thought "Newark has good restaurants?".

6. ckyak

ckyak Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Kearny NJ
    I was there one afternoon after the taping but before premier and was told about the rotten chicken, pigeon and overstocked freezer stories and how they were pretty much set up by the shows crew. also if you have ever worked in a kitchen you would know that what was on featured on that show was tame compared to some places, except for the insane arguing

7. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't understand why restaurants agree to be featured on that show.

8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No such thing as bad publicity...

9. Happy Camper

Happy Camper New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    so many places to drink/eat, so little time before each match

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    just park by the train station

HC

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily, there will be two extra MLS home games this season to help with that.

12. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be coming in for opening day for my first time at RBA. Coming from the Orange County area. According to what I've been able to find out, it looks like I'll have to get NJT from Harriman station and make 2 transfers to get to the PATH station in Harrison. It's still a lot cheaper for me to do that than to drive. Has anyone on this thread taken a train from the Orange County area to the stadium? Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this.

13. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come from Orange County, and honestly i would avoid taking the train from there if its at all an option due to the lack of regular trains heading that far north since Metro-North isn't the same as NJ Trans. If you do it, you'll have to take a train to Secaucus Junction, the transfer to a train going to Newark Penn. From there you have a choice of taking the PATH back one station to Harrison, or walking to 15 minutes to the Arena. Just make sure to check your schedules. Trains heading back north are not frequent during weekends and you could get stranded. IMHO its not worth it if you can drive.

14. maddog36

maddog36 Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Bergen Cty, NJ
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the Galaxy/RB game last year (it was a Saturday game, that if I remember correctly, started at 6:30), and I live in Bergen Cty. I would have had to miss the last 10-20 minutes of the game to make the early train, and I eventually had to wait for over an hour for the right train to come through to get back home. It's definitely not ideal.

You can always go out to dinner after the game though to kill time.

15. Tom845

Tom845 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    New Windsor, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to think about it. I'll probably drive, but it sounds like the parking and traffic is a real hassle. But oh, well, that's how it goes. Thanks again.

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parking and traffic is a real hassle if you have never been in the area. But, if you give yourself plenty of time and show up early, as well as not rush leaving, these become non-issues. I've parked on the street in Harrison and Newark ever since the second game last season. Never had a problem.

17. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto here. There's street parking in the ironbound, and also a number of lots that aren't expensive $5-$10. IMHO it's easier to park in Newark than in the lots or deck near the PATH in harrison. Come in at Exit 15E on the Turnpike and take Raymond Blvd into town, then take Market St out. It seems to flow better than the crunch coming out of the Harrison deck and lots near the PATH.

18. QrysDonnell

QrysDonnell Member

Apr 2, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually take NJ Transit (live in the Heights), but ended up driving to three games last year and parked in the Ironbound all three times, and didn't have a problem at all.

The walk across the bridge is better than dealing with the traffic and there's plenty of great food. If it's an evening game I usually hit up Bello's before the game - afternoon games I'd generally go to Mompou after. Plenty of options though... looking forward to getting back to my Newark/Harrison haunts in March.

19. ckyak

ckyak Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Kearny NJ
    I live in Kearny and when i dont walk down to the arena (weather or time issues) I park North of the 280 overpass on the street or if you plan on eating there the spanish pavillion allows you to park for free in their lot for the whole game.

20. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    I live in Ulster County, sometimes I drive to Newark Penn Station and park there, sometimes I take a NJ transit train from the Ramsey NJ route 17 park and ride station (just across the state border) to Newark Penn Station via Secaucus and walk to RBA. It's next too impossible to use the Port Jervis line via Harriman because of the sporadic schedule; there is at least one train an hour at the Ramsey station...even on the weekends.

21. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some info for any of you who drive and opt for free street parking in Harrison:

I know a few people here look for street parking, so I thought I'd share the news.

22. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I'll be crossing the bridge from Newark...;)

23. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well that sucks.

24. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say i blame them though. Street parking in Harrison, as most communities in the area, is at capacity on a normal day. Coming home from work after a long day only to spend forever finding a parking space gets old fast.

However it would be nice to work on some infrastructure to improve moving folks out of the lots to 280. I did that once last season and that was enough. I don't mind a small fee to park in a lot in the Ironbound. Market St. moves out after game time at a reasonable clip compared to the clogged back roads of the Riverbend.

25. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    They're doing this to push people who parked on side streets to cough up $10 which they lost out on every time a car went elsewhere.

In other words, come to "our" stadium in Harrison, come shop and eat.....but just don't park on our streets (unless there's a meter)!