Game Day 13: RSL at Montreal, Sunday May 22nd, 2p MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, May 17, 2022.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL heads out east and to the north to visit the surprising top of the Eastern Conference Montreal Im... oh, wait. Whatever they're called now.

Montreal is good this year. Really good. They have 20 points through 11 games. They're the third highest scoring team in the league with 22 goals. They also give up a lot of goals, though, having given up 19. They haven't lost a game since March 12 when they got routed by NYC - granted, that game was between their CCL games with Cruz Azul.

One thing on the Montreal side of things that should help RSL, though, is their midweek game (May 18) at Nashville. That will be a very good game, at least on paper, and gives us some hope that maybe Montreal will have heavy legs against us.

Still, a single point in this one would be considered a huge success, for me. A lot of factors that RSL struggle with are involved here: Canadian team, East "Coast", and midday. Include the quality of the opponent and I fully expect a loss here.

That said, I expect Pablo to do his "get to half at 0's" approach on the road. If the game is still there, maybe he opens it up a bit in the 70th to go for a win, but otherwise a 0-0 here would be massive success. I don't think it'll happen, but it's MLS and weird shit happens weekly.

XI I expect:

Wood Cordova
    Meram Ruiz Caldwell Chang
    Brody Silva Glad Herrera
    MacMath

RSLer repped this.
  2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm… until your post I didn’t realize they had rebranded.

3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This should be a great test for RSL. Very much like Austin. Montreal is on top in the east scoring goals and giving away goals like Halloween candy on November 1st but they, like Austin, have played a somewhat easier schedule than RSL to date.

I would take a result for sure and I'm hoping that maybe this is a game that RSL plays a bit more on the front foot but who knows.

3-1 RSL over the Montreal Ski and Summer Resort.

4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I'm not seeing Montreal's schedule to date as particularly easy. Sagarin has it as the 2nd most difficult in the league. RSL's is 7th, using his methodology.

RSLer repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah
    of the 8 teams in the playoff picture in the East, they have played all of the other 7. Some of those teams more than once. They obviously can't play themselves.

They lost their first 3 games (Orlando, Philly, and NYC) and then haven't lost since. 6 wins, 2 Draws, 0 Losses since that NYC loss. That's crazy good.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I was using Pablo’s “eye” test for schedule difficulty.

RSLer, Med_Phys, Ismitje and 2 others repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, they're all in the East and, from what I can tell, the East just isn't as good as the West this year

goobx1 repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal went with their first choice XI for today's game at Nashville. That's nice for us.

Allez RSL and rslfanboy repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They lost, but very much should have got a point out the game. They utterly dominated the game after Nashville went up 2-0. In fact they scored within minutes of that and then for the last 30+ kept going at the Nashville goal.

It will have certainly exhausted them, but I worry we're going to get a very frustrated team on the offensive side of the ball looking for blood. I have a bad feeling it's a NYC repeat.

10. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reminded that Caldwell is out for this match.
    Somehow his availability/not starting is a fairly big indicator for the club performance. Everyone s**t the bed against NYCFC, but he didn't start the Portland or Nashville matches, the most recent bad results.
    I don't think his play against Austin got enough mention.
    I thought the team looked more like a 4-1-3-2 against Austin. Hard to believe he's the only #6 on the roster. Does Besler start? Formation change or just hope Ruiz/Luiz finally works?

No Julio either. Kreilach may return though.
    Pablo should be back, but I don't like the Ruiz/Luiz combo in a 4 man backline lineup.
    Sounds like Menendez is getting close, so is Holt.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple things on this
    • The Ruiz Luiz duo will start. No doubt in my mind. Loeffelsend possibly too if Pablo wants to try that 4-3-3 he did in the past with 3 cm's clogging things up centrally. I'm not opposed to it. Just wish we had better front 3 to hit on the break
    • Caldwell has been a solid addition. Well done by Fall to pick him up.
    • Kreilach, if he returns, should not start. He hasn't played a game in a month(ish). Asking him to be a starter would be moronic. Have him take a bench spot and hope we can get 30 or so mins from him
    • Menedez being close is good. He should be playing over Meram/Chang (Savarino the other)
    • I thought Holt was going to be out like 6 months? He tore is plantar...? Or has that changed?
    4-3-3 I'd try (plays like a 4-5-1)
    Meram Cordova Chang
    Luiz Ruiz Loeffelsend
    Brody Glad Silva Herrera
    MacMath

That should give enough cover for Brody and Herrera to get forward since we're not doing the 3-man backline apparently

Allez RSL repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Looks like it will be a little wet, but most of the severe storms missed Montreal.

13. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Anyone have a guess for when Sava is going to be with the team?

14. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Also our only attacking "reinforcements" off the bench are Rubin and Schmitt. Let's hope Pablo's plan A works because it looks like there is no plan B.

Med_Phys repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Hey! Tate Schmitt is our leading scorer!

16. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plan appears to be go up a goal and bunker, time waste with defensive subs. I'm not sure if there's enough defense in the starting lineup to make it happen though. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

17. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a start!

RSLer and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  18. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Lol no, no there isn't. MTL up 1-0 inside 45 seconds.

19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell of a start.

20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    OK all we gotta do is make it to zeros at the half..... Oh. Wait.

15 to 32, Med_Phys and evilradar repped this.
  21. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me why they don't call off-sides when it happens?

Also, why do RSL continue the long ball only offense?

22. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo speaking the wrong kind of French on broadcast TV was the highlight before Bobby puts that header on frame.

rslfanboy repped this.
  23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the first 45 seconds, RSL has played pretty well and created some good chances. But finishing is just not there.

24. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Wood but if you can't put that away then what exactly are we paying you for?

Attached Files:

Allez RSL, RSLer, acima and 2 others repped this.