Game Day 12: Austin v RSL Saturday May 14 7:30pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, May 10, 2022.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So lets take a look at the two teams.

Last 6 games USOC included

RSL 1 win, 2 ties, 3 losses. 3 goals in 6 games. 11 goals gifted or conceded. (1 goal in USOC & a loss) 5 points in last 5 MLS games
    ATX 4 wins, 2 losses. 10 goals in 6 games. 6 goals conceded. (2 goals in USOC & a loss) 12 points in last 5 MLS games

For the season the teams look like this:

ATX 2nd in West 10gp 6W 2D 2L 22GF 9GA GD13 20pts
    RSL 5th in West 11gp 4W 4D 3L 10GF 15GA -5GD 16pts

On paper this has massacre written all over it but Austin has played an inarguably easier schedule than RSL so far. But after watching them for the last 6 games how anyone thinks that RSL will win this game I couldn't tell you.

I would really like to see RSL go back to the 3 in the back. Please.

This has the making of another wheels come off NYCFCFCFC type debacle.

So 3-1 RSL

15 to 32 and Med_Phys repped this.
  2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL hasn't been playing well, but they are still a much better team when they're at the RioT.

I don't know what to actually make of ATX this year, so 1-1 and nobody is very happy.

goobx1 repped this.
  3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the most downer opening thread I think I have ever read. Damn give the team a chance.
    I know how easy it is to shame the team, I’ve done it!. But at home we have not sucked, and I really think the players know that competition for their spots is coming. I say we get 3 points.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am randomly (irrationally) optimistic we'll win, too. Everyone seems to think we will win. But what goob laid out is pure fact. This team has scored only 10 goals on the season. That's really really bad. You won't win many games when you don't average even a goal a game. Especially when you're averaging 1.5 against.

After a really strong start, the team has kinda floundered, and this feels a pivotal moment for Pablo. The goodwill that early start earned was pretty significant, but getting absolutely lit up by NYC and dropping out of the USOC cashed a lot in. Not to mention that the last 4 points the team has earned (3 vs LAG and 1 at POR) have been underwhelming performances.

RSL has ran through that gauntlet we all identified to start the season and is now into a chunk where, initial perceptions were we'd be able to pick up a lot of points. Very on brand for MLS - some of these perceived weaker sides have jumped out to stronger starts. Austin's record is good - it's filled with games against bottom teams, but that's nothing they can control.

Point being: this is a big game for Pablo to get the team back into a positive swing and hopefully find a bit more of an identity in the attack that doesn't feel like spaghetti hitting a wall.

XI I want to see:

Wood Cordova*
    Brody Luiz Loeffelsend** Caldwell Herrera
    Glad Silva Orozco
    MacMath

What I'm pretty sure we'll see:

Wood Rubin
    Meram Loeffelsend** Chang
    Luiz Caldwell
    Brody Glad Silva Herrera
    MacMath

*Not sure on the health of Cordova
    **No idea who to start in the middle, either way, next to Luiz and Caldwell. Not counting on Kreilach being healthy enough and Besler feels redundant.

5. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Pablo is allowed to sneak a 12th player on, even if we don't like the 4 man backline.

georg repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't sure which forward to use.... good catch

Honestly, would anyone notice if both were on?

7. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the 4-4-2 of late. Honestly, it might work if they did more of a 4-2-2-2 if you took out Chang or Meram and asked the other and Jasper to stay a little more central. Wood and Rubin would have the freedom to drift wide and come in and take turns with the hold up play. Get the width from Brody and Herrera providing service like we've been asking for in a 3 man backline. Also clogs the middle of the field forcing teams wide. I don't know, makes some sense to me which is more than what I can say of what we've seen the last few weeks.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the Portland game where there were stretches of the team playing what was best described as a 4-2-2-2. It was interesting to see, but didn't really feel like a system that could work with this roster.

To pull that type of system off (think Redbull) you have to have pace in each of those lines, if not completely across the board. We don't have that. Which is why I don't think you'd see more advanced play from Brody or Herrera. Meram and Chang inevitably will have to drop back more, Wood and Rubin would have to join. From what I remember, it played more to a 4-2-4 in attack and a 4-4-1-1 in defense. We played much more in defense than attack, and in the attack if became more or less a line of 4 RSL players against the opposing backline and didn't result in much of anything of note.

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I noticed that too, when we seemed to have 4 players lined up at the half line just waiting for a ball to be played through or over the top, to a lot of guys that don't have remarkable speed. I just kinda threw my hands up in the air.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    "XI I want to see:

Wood Cordova*
    Brody Luiz Loeffelsend** Caldwell Herrera
    Glad Silva Orozco
    MacMath"

I like this from 15

I would love to see RSL get back to 3 in the back and free up Brody and Herrera, ESPECIALLY Herrera, to get more in to the attack.

If they do stay with 4 in the back I bet Kablan replaces Brody.

Does Cordova come back or do they let him actually heal up?

I have been working on staying somewhat patient with this team simply because this is not a great roster for the most part. There are definitely some good to great players on this team but overall it's not put together very cohesively to say the least.

Is the fact that week after week Chang, Wood, & Rubin are relatively useless because they just aren't good enough or is it the system? Is it just RSL is missing someone in the middle to connect with their seemingly weak ass front line and that's why they suck or do they just really suck? I think that they really just suck but I could be wrong.

Maybe with Cordova and Sava on the field together there is some creative talent and synergy to bring a Wood or Rubin into the game? I hope that is the case because those two just can't do it on their own.

I do find it interesting that they glaring hole in the RSL lineup last season, even with Rusnak around, was a creative midfielder that could connect and direct the RSL play moving forward. Without Rusnak the need is even more glaringly obvious. I now Hany Mukhtar's don't grow on trees but damn, this team is going now where fast without someone in the middle to bring this all together, whatever it is they are doing.

Trade Ochoa. Send a hyped young goalie off to some sucker for some hyped young midfielder that needs a new start or get a solid aging midfielder. Do something to address the need.

But, like I said, just trying to be patient. Trying to let last year be last year and this year be the first of the new era but that might be easier said than done.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be nice if we could start scoring again. Also bring back the 3-5-2

goobx1 repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Wood is Bobby Wood. He’s worked harder this year for sure, but that flash in the pan was so long ago. The dude is a half decent forward.

Rubin had a Paulo Jr level run of games last year and the club panic rushed a big contract on him. Im super nervous to see what he’s at. My bet is he’s being bought below the DP level with TAM.

Chang should be bench depth. Meram too. That we count on them to start in key spots is telling for what this team has shown. They’re Inconsistent and largely underwhelming

evilradar, acima, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the flip side, Sava offers a ton of excitement. There were times when he was with the team that the entire game plan was just to get him the ball wide, hopefully in a 1v1, and let him do his thing. It worked sometimes

I’m more optimistic on Cordova than Wood or Rubin. His size is a huge difference maker and he’s shown and ability to drop into spots to help.

I’ve reached the end of my good will with Pablo for how the team started the season. I don’t see any logical reason to keep this stupid ass 4231 / 442 in play. With it comes far too negative of tactics and little to offer going forward. Please, stop impersonating Freddy and try the fun shit again

goobx1 and Med_Phys repped this.
  14. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to be optimistic on Cordova (I really want to know why Elliot said he's a DP. Does a guy that can't play in the Bundesliga really get paid that well by Augsburg? Can't Blitzer minimize how much RSL pays for him while he's on loan or do we just get him on a free loan and have to cover his wages?), but he doesn't make the right decision on a regular basis and he's extremely reluctant to take a shot. He'll be 25 in a couple months. He's been a pro in Europe since 2017. Maybe he figures some stuff out, but RSL doesn't have that track record with players. I don't know if he's a winger, but I don't think he's your hold up center forward. He's a second forward and I wonder if he could play underneath a better center forward because he's versatile and fairly creative, but then we're back to the not making good decisions part. I just don't know how he fits and what the expectations should be. Starting winger opposite Sava in the 3-4-3? That's my go to formation right now, especially with Damir out.

This team isn't scoring like they did last year. Was Rusnak that important? Did he have enough gravity to open it up for other players? This team should have more talent than last year, so is it just tactics? Missing Damir hurts and the early season injuries didn't help, but the goal scoring issues have gotten worse as the season progresses. How can they fix that?

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still really curious how much, if any, of Corodova's wage is covered by the league. Blitzer and Smith paid plenty to the league to cover player costs, but from the perspective of Augsburg that's a hell of a deal to get him off the books

16. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    yeah I don’t like the whole rotating schedule with the Eastern Conference. Why do some teams get to play Cincinnati and Miami, while others get to play NYCFC and New England?

edit: I’m aware that Cinci is above both NYCFC and New England in the standings currently but there’s no denying that Cinci isn’t the better of those teams.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is where MLS really should mirror the NFL and build a schedule that is completely known and the most "fair" it can be in an unbalanced format.

evilradar repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather projections show this to be one of the best games of the year for us. Mid to low 70's at kick, dropping into the high 60's by the end of the game. No rain. Probably some slight wind because it's May and that never seems to stop in May. Otherwise... yeah, no reason not to come out to the RioT for this one.

Here is to hoping Pablo is a bit more daring with his team selection and message to the team. I'm excited to go.

Med_Phys and goobx1 repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta figure the three-man backline returns for this one.

Med_Phys repped this.
  20. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, lovely weather in Sandy today for the youth leagues. I've probably got COVID I fear, so I'm staying away from the RIOT and everyone. Austin's road form in April is - flat out impressive. 2 wins and a draw with a 2.33 Goal average.

I could see RSL gritting a win out though, we've been doughty at home. I'll self-medicate and tune in for the fun, or the carnage.

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
  23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Löffelsend kinda makes me shrug? He and Brody could be playing the "sides" while Meram and Chang are more advanced on the wing? Caldwell as DM.

I guess we'll see in a bit.

24. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm...time to curb our enthusiasm...

Ismitje repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the XI, and the curbing began right then and there.

evilradar and RSLer repped this.