Game 6: Red Stars vs. FC Gold Pride 5/16/09

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, May 15, 2009.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing not. They don't need another goal at this point...well, they'd like to have one, but 1-0 could hold up.

Lots of cramping for so early in the season. What are they going to do when hits 95 in mid-summer in Chicago and St. Louis?

2. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Weimer in, replaces Formiga who gets injured.

Barnhart saves the day for FCPG.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have been a goal...was that Rapinoe that came around the corner...didn't see who got the shot...Barnhart was there.

Lots of injuries...I'm guessing 5-6 minutes of stoppage. Still plenty of time for the Red Stars.

4. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Final: FCGP 1- Red Stars 0

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bye week certainly didn't help the Red Stars.

Two losses in a row afterwards.

6. cowpow

cowpow New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

And home losses on top of that!

7. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just 2 losses in a row but 2 SHUTOUT losses in a row. The Red Stars haven't scored in around 200 minutes which is surprising for them.

Has Cristiane not recovered from her injury yet or any other Red Stars playing with injuries??

8. WHUI

WHUI New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Was Lloyd good this time? I could only follow the matchtrack :(

9. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    i kept hearing the commentators talking about a "perceived decrease on quality on the Chicago's keeper" do you think that's true?

10. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I heard her mentioned a few times, not sure she was "all there" tonight

11. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the game. It was too cold for the middle of May.Unlike last week we had more chances this week but either the final pass was not good enough or we were offside. Two shutout home losses after a great 4-0 win in the rain is not good.Emma, you better shake things up.

12. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her goal kicks seem a little short to me but that was one fantastic save she made on the breakaway to keep the game 0-1.

13. ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral New Member

May 27, 2005
    Chi - ca - go!
    Disappointing loss.
    Dieke, Cristiane, Rapinoe and Klein played above expectations.
    Ostberg, Llyod and Carney who usually impress, seemed off and had trouble keeping possession.

Fanaddict is right on: the final touch eluded us all night. That and keeping possession.

But there are bright spots: Cristiane's ball handling was world-class, Klein plays harder than anyone.

14. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back from the game. Some random impressions from the game:

Jonsson looked shaky today. Some of her decisions were questionable. If a commentator said there's been a drop-off there, they're right.

Our backline isn't looking before they clear the ball, even when they have plenty of time to read the field once winning the ball. Far too many clearances went nowhere near any other Red Stars player.

Why are we not using any width or switching sides of the field? Why are we trying to ram attacks through Loyd who, frankly, has been godawful this season needs to grab some bench for the next few games at least, if not the rest of the season? I know Loyd is now our "big name" since Markgraf screwed us over but Emma just has to have the guts to sit her. We have two of the best, most dynamic attackers in the league in Rapinoe and Carney and they're not seeing neat enough of the ball. and if we start switching sides, opponents won't be able to stop us like they do now by simply overloading the side of our attack that has the ball.

Christiane had some wonderful mazy runs late in game. Where were those runs for the first 80 minutes? And why, when we did get good crosses into the box, was there nobody there on the end of them?

Finally, some of Emma's subs were baffling. She takes out Klein and brings in Oakes well into the 2nd half when we're a goal down and need to push forward and score? Ella Masar doesn't come in until the 80+ minute? I think Emma just doesn't know what's wrong or how to fix it.

I said it before and I'll say it now, we need to run a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield:

--------Christiane----------Masar----------

-------------------Tarpley-----------------

Carney-----------------------------Rapinoe

--------------------Klein-------------------

Dieke---------Ostberg----Krzysik------Dalmy

------------------Jonsson------------------

Let Klein do what she does well - the dirty work in the center of our midfield.

Tarpley is not a striker. Use her as a withdrawn forward to either find Carnet and Rapinoe on the wings, feed Christiane and Masar or hell, take it in herself if Christiane and Ella can learn to make space for her.

And keep our back four home. None of them strike me as a Segares-like player who can contribute killer crosses from an overlapping run.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ratdog pretty much said what I was going to say. Our midfield baffles me.
    Next saturday will be a different game because I think 5 players will not be there due to Nats call ups. Loyd, Tarpley, Rapinoe and Dalmy for the USWNT and I believe Dieke for Scotland. This may be actually good for the Red Stars. Having some different players in may shake things up. For Athletica, Solo and Chalupny will not be here either. Good crowd I thought. I was dissapointed when I didn't see Tiffany Weimer at starting. She did come in the second half. IMO, if Pia is looking for a defender to replace Margraff, look no further then Carrie Dew of the Gold Pride. She is solid. Replace one Notre Dame "domer" on the National Team with another.

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could understand the Spanish commentators on the webcast?

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have been a big Jonsson fan but the ball that was scored should have been snagged by her. She kind of tried to get it but instead pushed it out wide, Red Stars defense tried to clear it but failed.

18. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance was 4884. What do you Chicagoans think of that? I thought you guys would've had a crowd of 6K by now but I don't think you've even had 5K.

BTW, good luck to the Blackhawks against the Dead Wings as long as the Hawks don't play on a night when the Red Stars have a home game.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't know. I do know that a lot of our supporters section were in Toronto watching the Fire.
    BTW, I thought Cristaine had some brilliant plays tonight. The one where she dribbled the whole field and then at the end passed to Loyd, IMO she should have kept it and made one more move toward goal cause Loyd did not do anything with it.

20. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can tell Cristiane is getting frustrated like Marta has. It seems like few non-Brazilian players can keep up and relate to what the best Brazilian players do.

21. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I do speak more than one language. :) and quite honestly, find the Spanish commentary more entertaining/ less annoying that the english one of some women on FSC.

They had like 4-5 people calling the game, and at some point a Brazilian talking about Christiane and her difference with Marta. It seemed to him that she will take longer than the other Brazilians to adapt to this american style of play. He talked very highly of Marta (surprise, surprise) but also of Formiga, saying that she is not a flashy player in the sense that you see her getting all the attention, but that she is a constant worker in the midfield whose main role is to be that liaison on the attack between the back and the forwards (given that Montoya likes to build the attack from the back) and to stop/ interrupt the attacks of the other team in the middle.

22. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, like fanaddict said, it's been unusually cold for May. The Red Stars have not been able to catch a break with weather this year. This is a shame because even though the last two games were losses, they still play an attractive, attacking style. We just need to get the right players on the field and coach them to work with each other a bit better. Oh, and put the ball into the back of the opposing goal.

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There could be a lot of players missing next week for both teams. Is anybody 100% sure that all of the USWNT players will be missing? It is like 48 hours before the game in Toronto. Potential players missing (and I know this might not be everybody):

Chicago-Lloyd (USWNT), Dalmy (USWNT if not injured), Tarpley (USWNT), Rapinoe (USWNT), Garriock (injury), Adams (injury)

St. Louis-Chalupny (USWNT), Solo (USWNT), McNeill (Suspension), Tancredi (Canadian NT, if not injured), Daniela (injury)

If this holds true, St. Louis will be missing 5 starters and Chicago at least 4 starters and maybe more (depending on if Garriock and Adams would start if they were healthy). I would think that all of the developmental players would be activated for this one.

24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the missing players next week, maybe we should try:

--------Christiane----------Masar----------

-----------------Ostberg-------------------

Carney--------------------------------Igwe

--------------------Klein-------------------

Dieke-------????????-----Krzysik------Spilger

------------------Jonsson------------------

Can either McDonnell or Young fill in at centerback?

25. danigirl9

danigirl9 New Member

May 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I believe Young was waived. How about Oakes?