Game 2: Smaller but better

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by BenC1357, Apr 6, 2009.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Any thoughts on game two? Games like that are hard to judge. The section was that size 3-4 years ago. But we did well for the conditions. But man, our fan "base" sure are wussies. :)

"I love you Davy" was a crowd pleaser I believe, but this could turn in to a really good chant. We just have to make sure that we don't do it 25 times a game. I think the cold had us all slap happy though.

Jeff and I worked more on getting together and after the first few minutes I think we did a good job. A stand is coming, and that will only improve things.

Eric, did your group start many chants? Or were you just working with Jeff? Either way your group down front-left did well.

There are a lot of people NOT CHANTING. What the hell are you in our section for if you aren't chanting? I understand getting tired, taking a song or two off because you don't like to chant for 90. But at both games now I've seen plenty of people standing around with their arms crossed doing jack squat, and I noticed the same people not chanting over and over. Go stand somewhere else if you aren't going to participate. Better yet, join in! Please??? :D

I stayed out of the argument during the game because it was unneccesarly, but lay off of people slipping up and saying "US" during some of these chants. More than one person did it, heck I did it two or three times. We just got back from the the US game on Wed when we chanted many of the same songs for 10 straight hours. It gets stuck in your head. If half the energy were spent simply chanting instead of starting crap like this we'd be much better off for it and the section would be a bit less uncomfortable. The sarcastic mockery of chants is detrimental to our section as well. If you want to make fun of our section and our members, go do it somewhere else. I don't step up and start chants to be made fun of, and neither does anyone else.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either that or some people love Davy a little too much.....

3. turkas

turkas New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think overall we did a fantastic job. The section stayed together for the most part and we could be heard through out the stadium for most of the 90. Hopefully we are just as good if not better for the next match, especially sense it will be on ESPN.

Also I think Davey is now the favorite player of The Cauldron, for more ways than one :D

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Yeah, the next game is on a Thursday though so I wonder how many will show up. Certainly more than last game.

So much for saving seats for fans who don't bother to show up when the weather is bad huh? :rolleyes:

5. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will go alone if I have to. I am not missing this one.

You guys sounded great, but I couldn't pick out the Davy chant. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I'm there in person, so that's fine. Hillcrest Road sounds good, but I kind of felt like it was a little fast.

aaand I'm still thinking that it should be "1-nil to the Wizards" instead of KC Wiz.

6. turkas

turkas New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah someone could have shown up after the half and got a great seat in the Cauldron.

7. RAYyardbird

RAYyardbird New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    KC
    Hillcrest Road sounds alittle red-neckish...(wizards country...ford tough getr er done)

I think the heads that be need to think more Toots Hibbert and a lot less John Denver. Great Idea though, just needs more refining.

8. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Who was the genius behind breaking out the old Nick Garcia chant? I want to give them a hug. That was classy.

9. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see it....or hear it.

I think it sounds fine, and gets everyone involved...even more so as others continue to learn it. I love Hibbert's version much more than Denver's....but I don't know how you would change the chant to make it more Mibbert.

10. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I remember was Szazzy yelling, "NOT during THE GAME!?" when that chant started. I tend to agree.

11. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Nick's one of my favorite players of all-time. I want to see him lose by 20. There used to be an unwritten rule in the Cauldron on former players that served the club and left in a gracious fashion. We don't boo or heckle them during the game, but we only acknowledge them before or after the game. Our team comes first.

Preki, Klein, Henderson etc were on this list. Scott Sealy might be

Yura, Alexi Lalas etc. are not

Meola and Mo are on or off the list based on what they've said in the papers that week.

12. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, Turkas was having fun and pushing the Hillcrest Road beat a bit fast, but there's also a danger of making that song too slow. It should be relaxed and in the middle somewhere.

I'd be down with "1-nil to the Wizards" if it was new, but you're fighting a lot of history there. It's on the 2000 Double Winners Scarf, and it might be older than that.

I also like doing the St. Pauli song with "Because we support KC, KC, KC - and that's the way we like it" etc better than the "Wizards" there. We did it at the Kings game that way and it's easier to sing loudly with just two vowels. It's new enough that I'd like to at least try it that way once next game.

And Spoon, I know Tony doesn't check the boards much but tell him to move to the back if all he's going to do is talk shit in my ear and not sing but once every ten songs. He knows I love him, but it gets old quick.

13. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I agree but I think if you got the whole stadium or even the whole Cauldron singing it loudly, it probably wouldn't. Any lyric suggestions on what might make it better?

14. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben started the nick chant, I loved it. And Hillcrest Road is the best chant the Cauldron has seen in a long time. Easy lyrics, slow pace, something we could get more than the Cauldron to sing at the same time.

15. turkas

turkas New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol yeah that one was my fault, I kind of got thrust into playing the drums for a good portion of the match because no one else wanted to (not that I had a problem with it :D). I do think Chris needs to be the new designated drummer from now on, his improvisation was fantastic :cool:.

16. RAYyardbird

RAYyardbird New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    KC

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, the Garcia chant was right after a corner kick or something wasn't it? Probably not great timing, but it's the only way I would have heard it on the MLS stream, cuz they don't stream Cauldron chants before and after the game. I still liked it a lot.

18. jwhill37

jwhill37 New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Gardner
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First - "I love you Davy" was amazing, but we need to think of something for the last part of the song instead of saying "mmm mmmm mmmm - I love you Davy!" And nothing too difficult - Keep It Simple!

I didn't notice a lot of the non-singing but I was down in the 2nd row trying to sing and watch the game as much as possible - not really noticing anything else.

Is there anyway we could get a 4-5 of the newer chants (not sure how new they are - I'm new to the cauldron) put in the soccer program that they hand out to us when we walk in - maybe Hillcrest Road, We've got the best midfield in the world, I love you Davy, Onalfo's Army - you know the one with words that aren't directly stolen from "Remember the Titans."

And the US chants - I only heard it about 4 or 5 times accompanied with a few giggles. It definitely wasn't very loud and also not distracting at all.

19. yanksoccerfan

yanksoccerfan New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The i love you Davey chant amazing will work out well.

The We Love You Chant I dont tink works well with KC. When we were at the Kings game we still said Kings.

One of my new favorite chants is the Kevin Hartmen Is Better Then You chant. That should go on all season.

20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    On the KC vs Wizards - Half the people sound like the Ding Fries are Done guy when they sing "the Wizards" really loudly.

21. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like The Wizards better in the chant. It just flows.

22. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well My wife whispered it in my ear and I said no not during the game. Then I don't even know who it was just belted it out and it took off. Good stuff.

23. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol ok but why don't you tell him at the next tailgate? I don't want to be messenger boy. FWIW I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

24. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was Tony? I was standing right next to Jeff. Man, I was hammered.

25. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL WOW! I am pretty sure we were in the same row then if you were next to Jeff. 2 rows above the drum