GAME 17: Fire v. smurfs 7/18/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by SixKick, Jul 16, 2009.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only problem is that Hamlett will put Nyarko in McBride's spot and keep Rolfe in the midfield. Hamlett still doesn't get it Rolfe isn't a midfielder he's a forward.

2. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    But he is figuring out that Nyarko is more effective out wide and that the kid needs space to actually take advantage of his speed.
    I too would like to see Rolfe up top, the question is do you start Nyarko out wide with Rolfe up top and then negate PN's effect at coming on in the 65th or so minute.

3. On the Road Again

On the Road Again New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Someone has to take Brian's place and Nyarko will be the first choice so I look for Patrick to start although DH might, just might, start Patrick on the right. Let's hope he does that.

4. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I agree, but what we might see is a weird variation of a basic 4-5-1, more of a "Christmas Tree", with Blanco up top to hold, Rolfe behind him with Nyarko and Pappa running wide.

5. On the Road Again

Aug 16, 2006
    That would be funky and I am not sure it would be very effective. We need Rolfe to be attacking the goal with Blanco feeding him the ball (assuming he will do that). I guess it is also possible that Mapp could get the start on one side with Pappa on the right with Nyarko still coming in off the bench.

6. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Here's the thing with Rolfe behind Blanco, he actually gets to run off of Blanco, overlapping to either side depending on which space is open.
    It also allows Rolfe to continuity face the goal, and that's where his effectiveness is best utilized.
    It also might keep Blanco more stationary instead of wandering around taking balls away from his own teammates.:cool:

7. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Pete Lowry is starting. Dasan Robinson is starting. Mike Banner is starting. On the other hand, Rolfe is playing up top with Nyarko.

8. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Once again, bunch of shite out there tonight.

9. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lowery needs to come out at the half. He has been atrocious.

10. StamfordBridgeView

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same old same old, okay play in the backup, on and off in the midfiled, and not a thing up top, Rolfe has looked better playing more reserved and setting up the attack than up top.

Justin Mapp just sucks.... as do the long balls from Buschh and Soumare... when will Jon see that a goal kick that turns into a goal kick for the other team is about the most pointless thing you can do in the field

11. On the Road Again

Aug 16, 2006
    Decent play for ten to fifteen minutes and then we revert to the old boom ball again. DH definitely has demonstrated his creative genius with this lineup--guess we don't need to win this game. Thorrington needs to get his head up and pass the ball to one of our players as does Lowry plus John has to stop trying to dribble the ball around three defenders. Woolard has again shown his excellent speed and deceptive defensive technique. After the first flurry, Rolfe has barely seen the ball to his feet and Soumare just has to pound the ball over the top in hopes that Nyarko can catch up with just one. Of course, once he does, nothing much happens but we can say he was dangerous (at least once).

It will be interesting to see which three players DH pulls out in the second half. I predict Rolfe will be out in the 70th minute. :rolleyes:

12. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Yeah, Jon Busch has one of the worst distributions for GK's in this league.

13. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    60th minute 0-0 still.

Blanco and Pappar in

Lowry and Banner out.

14. Tobin

Tobin Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Chicago
    Would anyone like to see the Fire try to shoot a little earlier? It seems like Rolfe is the only that is able and willing to shoot. Nyarko seems to get himself into good positions but needs a clear view to shoot and miss.

Blanco has shown a real presence and desire to win.

This ref is letting most things go in this game, besides a Fire penalty call.

15. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    83rd min. Goal from Nyarko from Blanco. Fire actually lead 1-0.

16. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Blanco chips the goalie from about 17 yards out and scores in 92 minute. 2-0.

17. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Temoc goal. 92'

18. Tobin

Tobin Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Chicago
    It was a nice goal. But great defensive pressure by Conde and Pappa to create it.

19. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup.

BTW, I'm glad Conde is back.

20. On the Road Again

Aug 16, 2006
    One has to wonder what was in DH's mind with the starting lineup but once again, due to the extra effort by key players, we were able to turn a potential ugly game into a "W" and at the end of the day, I guess that's what counts. In spite of the inexplicable lineup, we come out with three points. Once again, from about the 15th minute until the 80th minute when Pappa and Blanco came in, there was almost no possession or combination play. We could not complete that final pass in the final third of the field. Our wingbacks were getting whipped on pretty well tonight consistently. Although Busch's distributions were pretty sad (mostly long, long balls), he did make some key stops that kept us in the game. 70-yard kicks just do not work in this league when you do it 90% of the time.

21. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cuauhtemoc is a f***ing GOD!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

22. Matt5656

Matt5656 New Member

Apr 12, 2008
    chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blanco comes in raises hell and leaves!

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two games in a row Blanco man of the match.

24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been giving Mapp a chance to do something this year, but this guys needs to go. What speed he had is gone, he can't dribble past anybody, his passing is horrible, and he's tired in the 60th minute of the game. Please Klopas find somebody to take him off our hands or just flat out waive him. He's a waste of a roster spot and his 250,000 salary is waste of 250,000.

Lowry hasn't played one ********in minute all year and Hamlett starts him, he should of been subed out at halftime.

Banner, what the ******** can you try to pass to the players in red jersey's, next to Mapp your the worse passer on the team.

Hamlett what the ******** why did you wait so long to bring in players that could actually play.

Thanks FIRE for the win, I'll be attending the rest of the games this year, if you would have lost tonight's game would have been my last this year.

Any idea's on the attendance, I'll say 14,000 max.

P.S. Nyarko's goal stopped a 406 minute goal less drought at home.

25. Matt5656

Matt5656 New Member

Apr 12, 2008
    chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States