Gambling is the best reverse jinx- The Other Teams Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by mhtwins113, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done Arsenal, we need them as confident as possible for the upcoming match with Liverpool.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well ill be damned if I watch Newcastle vs. Stoke.

3. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unfortunately Villa's collapse means that Arsenal don't really need to get a result at Liverpool.

4. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Motta is on fire atm for Genoa.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Pride, dislike of Benitez, galvanising his players for next season, getting Cesc, Adebayor, Walcott big-game sharp against English-level oppo before the FAC..

That's plenty to play for. Arsenal do not like to be ignored. Beating Liverpool sends all the right kind of messages about them being back to us and Chelsea.

6. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Iaquinta ties it at 2-2 for 10-man Juve.

six minutes to go.

7. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    If Villa win tomorrow and Arsenal lose @ Anfield, Villa are right back in it.

3 point gap then with Villa having a bunch of relatively easy games left and Laursen, Heskey and Bouma all returning and Arsenal having visits to Chelsea and OT to negotiate in a packed calendar.

Wenger wouldn't want Villa to get a sniff at them again.

8. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    wow, Geona should win this now. Palladino with a tap-in. 3-2 now.

this has been a great game... too bad for Juve considering Inter's result.

9. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone. I come in peace. I posted this over on our Other Team Thread in the LFC Forum, and I thought I would share it with you all. Enjoy.

Remaining League Fixtures For Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester United.

Chelsea - 67 points, 6 matches remaining
    • Everton
    • @ West Ham
    • Fulham
    • @ Arsenal
    • Blackburn
    • @ Sunderland

Liverpool - 70 points, 6 matches remaining
    • Arsenal
    • @ Hull
    • Newcastle
    • @ West Ham
    • @ West Brom
    • Tottenham

United - 71 points, 7 matches remaining
    • Portsmouth
    • Tottenham
    • @ Middlesborough
    • Manchester City
    • @ Wigan
    • Arsenal
    • @ Hull

If United, Chelsea, and Liverpool win all of their remaining game, the final league total will look like this...

United - 92
    Liverpool - 88
    Chelsea - 85

Basically, to be level/ahead of United at the end, Liverpool need to win the rest of our games, while hoping one of the two things happens in United's 7 games:

• United draw once and lose once, which would put them at 87 points.
    • United draw twice, which would put them at 88 points. Leaving it to goal difference.

If the teams are level on points, then it will come down to goal difference. Right now, with a game in hand, Liverpool lead goal difference (38 to 33).

If the teams are level on goal difference, which isn't likely, then it goes to goals scored. Right now, with a game in hand, Liverpool lead goals scored (59 to 54).

If the teams are level on goal differential and goals scored, very unlikely, the teams go to a single-game playoff at a neutral venue (Wembley? :)).

This is just for your information, a lot of this is hypothetical. I would wish you all luck, but that would be a lie now wouldn't it :D.

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Villareal game and the first half of today's game definately reaffirmed the fact that we have a lot of work to put in, and I just don't see us letting up in the league until we make it a mathematical impossibility. Ideally we would want at least the current 6 point gap to hold when we meet you guys as our superior goal difference should see them off at that point.

We would be going all out against Liverpool either way. The fact that we lost Djourou as well, to leave Silvestre and Gibbs as starting players in our back 4 has us somewhat nervy about our chances.

11. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    After the Arsenal game you guys have an absolute cakewalk. The bolded games for us on the other hand...are rough.

12. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Still sticking to Keane scoring in front of the Kop come last day...if not in front the other end and then jumps into a sea of Spurs supporters.

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You know, Keane would get a winners medal should the dippers win the Prem....

14. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How poetic that would be..:D

15. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Or....he can throw a dagger in the fatman that treated him so badly. I hope he chooses wisely if push comes to shove.:p

16. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Some very good luck for Arsenal. Apparently Senna got injured in the last league game.

17. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The run-in looks scary. Now, I'm Mr. Pessimist, I always underestimate us and overestimate the opposition. But I can't see us dropping less than 4 points in that run of games the way we are playing. I'd add Spurs at home as a dangerous fixture as well.

So unless we get back on form (maybe the return of Brown will be the key to getting clean sheets again) then we will be dependent on Liverpool dropping points. If they beat Arsenal then they will be in a great position.

18. Nebs

Nebs New Member

May 5, 2004
    Croatia
    Club:
    Zulia FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Villa is falling fast. 0-2 against Everton.

19. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    You are just being yourself. It is fairly easy to give a positive twist to the fixtures -- Wigan having conceded 4 in their last two, Spurs' poor record against us and good record against pool, Hull most likely being safe by the time we play them, Arsenal securing 4th spot by the penultimate round etc.

We need to up our performances, the rest should fall in place. Hopefully, the return of Rio and Brown does the trick.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Aston Villa 3-3 Everton now. 10 minutes to play. Saha about to come on.

News from the other game is that Petrov starts in place of Robinho. Good to see the former return from injury. Same with Bojinov, who starts ahead of Sturridge.

21. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a few posts now touting the return of Wes Brown. I doubt that we'll see the Wes Brown that we relied on last season until he's been back for awhile, which could mean after the end of the run-in. He's been out for practically the whole season; it will take time to come back.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see him back. It just sounds like our expectations might be a bit too high for him at the moment.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Aston Villa vs. Everton games this season have been amazing.

23. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You're probably right, but we're getting a bit desperate for a magic bullet to solve our defensive frailties.

24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Citeh's PotY gets his 12th of the season, and makes it 1-0. Benni is an arsehole for taking him from us in the World Draft... :(

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    :D

Class player he is.