galaxy win sesay lottery

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by wasdykec, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Yup, they aren't fooling anybody with their "Weighted" lottery, they're just going through the motions.

2. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They get one more next year, Donovan. His grandfather clause contract will have to be covered somehow.

3. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True that, the Galaxy has been crap for years now. Look at the NBA Lottery, The Celtics had the biggest chance, but PORTLAND and Seattle got the players. The NBA would have benefited more if BOSTON got it.

4. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can SESAY be th NEXT MEMO GONZO(I think I already forgot his name).

5. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you completely ignore the fact that this isn't the first time they've done a weighted lottery and that the chances of the Galaxy winning were not unlikely.

6. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhat off-topic, but what's up with Arvizu these days, anyway?

7. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, might as well go off-topic, since the topic is a ridiculous conspiracy theory.

1.) Crap teams always win these lotteries
    2.) LA is a crap team
    3.) No one needs Sesay that badly anyway
    4.) ...especially the Gals, who aren't exactly focused on bringing up youth through the ranks
    5.) ...and Sesay isn't even good trade bait

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Jim Curtin? Hell, Jane Curtin would probably be a step up over Veris.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the rate we're getting injured, our back four by the end of the season will probably be something like:

Randolph Gordon Friesz Sesay

Yep, I think the only reason I'm still watching this injury trainwreck is out of morbid curiosity at how long it's going to be before we're starting one of our backup goalkeepers at center back.

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. I don't see a conspiracy here. I just don't see Sesay going to LAG (clearly a team in turmoil with a crap record of developing teenagers--anyone remember Memo Gonzalez? and no idea of who the coach and GM will be next year--heck, in a month) as a good thing for his development. And when we're talking teenagers not out of HS (ie: 14-15-16 year olds), the first and last consideration should be: what's best for their development. I get that there are rules, competitiveness issues, fairness, yada, yada. But these aren't 20 year olds with some life experience and even a hint of college or a complete HS diploma. If it had made more sense for Adu to start his career in Dallas or KC (b/c that is where is family lived) than I'd have lived with it. And as Goff pointed out, LAG had the second best chance of winning the lottery. My question is why they'd really enter unless you think they're going to try and deal Sesay.

2. No, the worst teams don't always win. Metros entered a lottery for DJ Countess with the express purpose of getting him so they'd have trade bait to get Diallo from TB. Metro at that point was a playoff team and there were a bunch of teams under them that year.

3. Maybe 4-5 years from now, none of this will matter. But Sesay has potential--he just won't contribute for a couple of years. He requires patiences, some good teachers (and please don't spread that crap about how Beckham, Donovan, Cannon will teach him--they were hired to win games not coach) and a long view. If you rate the MLS franchises right now for which teams are best positioned to grow 16 year-olds, I'd say that LAG is probably near the bottom (b/c of the likelihood of a roster makeover and chances with coaches and GM possibly before the year is out).

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    The chances of the galaxy NOT winning this lottery were zero...LOL

12. PhantomTollbooth

PhantomTollbooth New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You can have Jim Curtin if you like. He's out the rest of the year, but you're welcome to him none-the-less. :)

13. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Yeah, wonder what percentage of "lotteries" LA wins... anybody ever done the math.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :confused:

Yeah. I'm sure if you go to the Super Secret Area 51 MLS boards they'll have the breakdown. :rolleyes:

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof?

Or just bullshit?

16. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --He did type "LOL" at the end. What more proof do you need?

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This lottery was obviously not rigged for the Galaxy.

Would MLS really want a talented young player going to a currently shitay team which cannot develop talented young players and trades its talented young players for old unskilled players?

18. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Are you kidding me? With how horrible LAG attack is, It would be completely the opposite imo. They arent going to be in the playoffs so it wouldn't hurt them in the least bit to put the kid in and have beckham service him.. damn pedophiles...

It keeps the galaxy, Beckham and MLS in the press, My vote says yes.

Yeah Don Garber called me up and told me before the draft via secure phone connection that LAG were going to win the Lottery, that’s all the proof you should need. If it was rigged you think they would just openly flaunt that yeah, we rigged it so LAG would win please spread it through all the newspapers and television stations.. Make sure you hit up big soccer.

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    6 goals against Dallas. 4 against NY. 2 goals against DC.

The remaining games have been the ones where the Galaxy has been most depleted by injuries.

The problem doesn't lie in the attack. It lies in the back-line and the fact that none of the four starters (Albright -- Xavier -- Harden -- and Jazic) have been 100% healthy and played in all the games. (Albright has been out since the spring...)

Plus the mid-field has been almost as effected.

The problem is absolutely not the attack.

20. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the headline of Galaxy winning The Lottery and at first thought it was Alexi Lalas getting stoned to death. My mistake.