Galaxy waive Griffiths!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Real Madrid, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Real Madrid

Real Madrid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 23, 1999
    New York, NY
    Hey maybe some other team can pick him up and we can trade Howard for him.

From Bloomberg:

The Los Angeles Galaxy has waived midfielder Winston Griffiths, it was announced
    by Galaxy VP/GM Doug Hamilton. The 23-year-old Griffiths joined the Los Angeles
    in a trade with MetroStars for a conditional SuperDraft pick on April 20. The
    move will open a senior roster spot and put the Galaxy below the league's 22-man
    limit, which includes 18 senior and four Developmental roster spots.

"It is always a difficult decision to waive a player, but at this time we feel
    it is in our mutual best interest for Winston to move on and pursue
    opportunities with other teams," said Hamilton. "We want to thank him for all of
    his efforts as a member of the Galaxy organization and wish him the best of luck
    in the future."

A native of Jamaica, Griffiths appeared in six games - four starts - with the
    Galaxy, compiling 310 minutes and a goal for two points on the season. Griffiths
    made his MLS debut as a substitute in the MetroStars' season opener on March 23,
    a 3-1 win over the New England Revolution. A left-sided midfielder, Griffiths
    has accumulated 26 international caps as a member of the Jamaican National Team,
    and has scored four goals for the "Reggae Boyz."

2. JoBeck

JoBeck New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wesschessduh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're funny.

:rolleyes:

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Whenever I hear his name, I get angry because we gave up DJ Countess for him. DJ must have been worth more then him.

4. Real Madrid

Real Madrid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 23, 1999
    New York, NY
    My thoughts exactly.

5. Indoor Recess

Indoor Recess New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Hanover, NH
    Griffiths was about as useful as a kickstand on a tricycle.

6. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Of course he's not useful if you're not going to play him. I do remember everyone who saw him in pre-season saying that he was good. That's just pre-season, but he really wasn't given any chance during the regular season.

He didn't get playing time because Oz apparently felt he didn't warrent it. Whether that means anything or not...I'll leave to the beholder.

7. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Wonder what this does to the condition of the conditional draft pick. If they waive him, could we not get a pick, or get a very low one (4th round)?

It would really suck to find out in the end we traded an MLS all star goalie for the 8th pick in the 5th round of a sh!te draft.

8. Olesh

Olesh Member

Jul 24, 1999
    South Bay
    If I remember correctly, during pre-season everyone was also saying Alvarez was really good and thought he might be a major contributor to the team. :)

I would liked to have seen a little more of Griffiths before we shipped him away, I thought he could have been a useful player in the midfield. He had some speed and could control the ball a little, which is more than many MLS players can say.

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Griffiths got in the doghouse in LA for missing practices. Maybe OZ went through the same thing?

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Then maybe Zambrano needs to pick players not only on their skill, but also on the quality of their character. Serna, Comas, Diallo, etc. Not guys who I would want to meet.

11. soccergamer

soccergamer New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    New York
    Say what you will about the others but Diallo?

The man busts his ass 90 minutes of every game that i have either viewed on the tube or at the stadium. As a paying customer and fan thats all that i can ask for. He has neither shot anyone nor held up a bank, just popped some way to full of themselves junk goalkeepers in the lip and introduced them to international football, big deal.

Actually that was the same load of crap that i had always heard of andy williams and have yet to see. He is just the center of our offense right now along with diallo. Remove those two from our squad and we are in a world of hurt.

As for the griffiths fiasco, does this mean that we lose whatever conditional draft pick tied into this mess?

12. Jahmakya

Jahmakya New Member

May 28, 2001
    NYC
    It's not about who you want to meet. Its about results, and the last time I check Diallo has been putting the ball in the back of the net. I am sorry he is not up to your standards, but as for i am concern, he is ok.
    You mention character, do you know anything about Daillo other than what you see on the field?

13. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Results? Hhahaha. Sure Comas and Valencia produced results two years ago. What happened last year? They lacked character. They were pieces of shti. They did nothing.

Do I know about Diallo personally? All I know is that he was whining and bitching last year. Moaping around. Doing nothing. Sure he might be scoring goals right now, but if something doesn't go his way, he'll be the same as he was last year.

So Serna is good too right? He scored 15 goals last year, but you guys still think he's cr*p. I thought results are all that count. This is ridiculous.