Galaxy vs. New England Pre-Game

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Baysider, Jun 29, 2005.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My qualifications:

1. Never coached a team to last place at the World Cup Finals.

2. Never fired by Costa Rica.

3. Actually would look cool in a Nike Total 90 jacket.

4. Hate Naldo.

5. Really hate Naldo.

6. Promise to work with defenders on not kicking or heading the ball into our own goal.

7. Promise to never stick our best player out on the flanks where he is utterly useless.

and

8. My motivation to improve road record: Hot hookers and booze bash for the players after every road win. Hot Sunday afternoon washing the team bus and my car after every road loss.

And if I fail miserably and the team is losing, I promise to graciously step down after collecting my big, fat paycheck and lining up a sweet gig high up in the AEG organization...

2. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, to see this kind of post going nearly uncontested by LAG fans you'd think Drew Carey was the only real Galaxy fan out there.

we FCD supporters have been watching our reserves play for weeks and weeks (sometimes on the edge of our seats) but it's paid off. show some pride! stars come and go, and there is no "I" in "team" you know :D

Edit: upon reviewing the thread I'll have to exempt Che Chico from my above comments. good work, Che.

3. bhlightnr

bhlightnr New Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget qualification #9. The ability to book seperate travel arrangements for Naldo every week. Arrangements that send him thousands of miles away from the team with no possible way to make it to where the team is, even for reserve matches. :D

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I covered that in qualifications #4 and #5

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Unrealistic expectations are a sure-fire path to depression and suicide. Real fans are realists, not optimists (unless they're members of Legion 1908, in which case they're simply insane). We celebrate the good and bitch about the bad. We view our team as what it really is, not as some glorified, unrealistic vision of what it should be.

For a better perspective on what constitutes a real football fan, read Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch." The following is one of many excerpts that sums up the football fan's dedication (change "Arsenal" to "Galaxy" and "Swindon" to "Colorado," and you'll get a picture of how we feel):

(From "Boring, Boring Arsenal")
    "I had discovered after the Swindon game that loyalty, at least in football terms, was not a moral choice like bravery or kindness; it was more like a wart or hump, something you were stuck with. Marriages are nowhere as rigid--you won't catch any Arsenal fans slipping off to Tottenham for a bit of extra-marital slap and tickle, and though divorce is a possibility (you can just stop going if things get too bad), getting hitched again is out of the question. There have been many times over the last twenty-three years when I have pored over the small print of my contract looking for a way out, but there isn't one. Each humiliating defeat must be borne with patience, fortitude and forbearance; there is simply nothing that can be done, and that is a realization that can make you simply squirm with frustration.

"Of course I hated the fact that Arsenal were boring (I had now conceded that their reputation, particularly at this stage in their history, was largely deserved). Of course I wanted them to score zillions of goals and play with the verve and thrill of eleven George Bests, but it wasn't going to happen, certainly not in the forseeable future. I was unable to defend my team's inadequacies to my father--I could see them for myself, and I hated them--and after each feeble attempt at goal and every misplaced pass I would brace myself for the sighs and groans from the seat next to me. I was chained to Arsenal . . . and there was no way out."

I also recommend reading the chapter "Seven Goals and a Punch-Up" for Hornby's perfect definition of what constitutes a memorable match. Classic stuff.

6. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the excerpts, Chupacabra. they back up my point nicely about going to see your team play even if they are occassionally "boring". I may check that out soon.

7. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    ------------------Gato-------------------
    Ugo-----Marshall-----Chinchilla----Dunivant
    Cobi----Nagamura----Grabavoy-----Pando
    -----Gordon/Enfield---Kirovski------------

I went to the practice today and this is the starting 11 i saw when the starters scrimaged the reserves. (Naldo didnt even play for the reserves) Vagenas is hoping to be able to play, but he didnt practice with the team from what i saw. Albright should be back in about 2 weeks.

8. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like a decent lineup, and one that is suited to our playing surface. Grabavoy needs to play in the middle of the park with Nagamura behind him. I wouldn'd mind seeing Gardner play wide left if he's healthy, and I think you could even play Pando or Cobi up top with Jovan.

I guess this squelches the Grabavoy to Chicago rumor. See you all at Victoria Street on the Fourth!

9. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

No Naldo and we get to see Grabavoy. That's a pretty good lineup.

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! There is HOPE.

12. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I like it, I like it.

Good job Annoying. Now, I'm a little excite about this game.

Maybe SS has finally started listening to coach Trickhog.

So, we have Marshall and Pando fur sure?

13. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    They were practicing with the starting 11, so im pretty sure they are. :D I saw Naldo, Ngwenya and Albright sitting on the bench while the reserves vs. starters scrimage went on so im thinking Naldo is injured.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview from MLSNet.

REFEREE: Michael Kennedy. SAR (bench): George Gansner; JAR (opposite): Emiliano Monje; 4th: Richard Heron
    MLS Career: 63 games; FC/gm: 33.0; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 9; pens: 29
    Games involving Galaxy: P11 W7 L0 T4; FC/gm: 32.6; Y/gm: 3.9; R: 2; pens: 7
    Games involving Revolution: P18 W5 L12 T1; FC/gm: 32.9; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 1; pens: 8

INJURY REPORT: LOS ANGELES GALAXY - OUT: DF Chris Albright (L knee MCL sprain); FW Joseph Ngwenya (sports hernia surgery); DF Ben Benditson (sports hernia); MF Guillermo Gonzalez (L quadriceps strain); DF Pablo Chinchilla (L hamstring strain); QUESTIONABLE: MF Peter Vagenas (R hip flexor strain); PROBABLE: MF Ned Grabavoy (R hamstring strain) ... NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION - OUT: GK Kyle Singer (R shoulder sprain); PROBABLE: FW Taylor Twellman (L hamstring strain); DF Marshall Leonard (osteitis pubis)
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: NE: FW Pat Noonan, MF Clint Dempsey, MF Steve Ralston (USA; CONCACAF Gold Cup); DF Avery John (Trinidad & Tobago; CONCACAF Gold Cup) ... LA: FW Landon Donovan (USA; CONCACAF Gold Cup); DF Michael Umaña (Costa Rica; CONCACAF Gold Cup)
    SUSPENDED: none
    WARNINGS: NE: DF Jay Heaps (20 CP); MF Shalrie Joseph (18 CP)

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (21 meetings): Galaxy 12 wins (2 shootout), 41 goals ... Revolution 7 wins (1 shootout), 28 goals ... 2 draws
    AT LOS ANGELES: (11 meetings): Galaxy 8 wins (0 shootout), 22 goals ... Revolution 1 win (0 shootout), 10 goals ... 2 draws​

15. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    From what I've seen he's ok to play tomorrow. :D (he was in the starting 11 for the scrimage, starters vs. reserves)

16. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Good job Annoying!!

Did you use the baseball bat or the small caliber rifle?

If you need reimbursement for the "muscle" , let us know.

17. annoying04

annoying04 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    california
    *looks around nervously*Uhhh... I didnt do anything ;) :D

18. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    this is probably already answered... but... whos out for the galaxy? donovan and vagenas, right? jeesh thats like the entire team

are the revs missing anyone? besides the fireworks, what excitement could possibly happen in this game?

without the greek and LD, its going to be hard to break the slump, i dont care if its at HDC.

just in, the revs are GOOD. Real good. so i hope they are missing a few big guns as well.

oh well maybe sigi will have the troops prepared.... oops, forgot

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the heck, I'll go out on a limb and predict a Galaxy victory:

T-Marsh redeems himself before heading off to the Gold Cup when he scores on a header late in the game to give us a 2-1 victory...

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Projected starting line-up for the Revolution according to the club's official web site:

GK: Matt Reis
    RB: Jay Heaps
    CB: Michael Parkhurst (R)
    LB: Joe Franchino
    DM: Shalrie Joseph
    DM: Andy Dorman
    RM: James Riley (R)
    CM: Jose Cancela
    LM: Marshall Leonard
    FW: Taylor Twellman
    FW: Khano Smith

21. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My nipple is still red though....

22. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    I wonder if the FSC coverage will have the same audio feed as DK.
    Anyone know?

Because I'll just watch it on DK if FSC will do their normal "turn off all stadium microphones" audio mixing.

23. farmerII

farmerII New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    I wouldnt worry about the sound because you people are going to get your butts handed to you in a sling.

24. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    we're screwed. bench vagenas, why risk him in a game we'll probably lose anyway.

25. bhlightnr

bhlightnr New Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it wasn't enough. SS2 started the piece of dung and I guess benched Kiro. What gives?