Galaxy vs. Chivas

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TequilaJoal, Nov 23, 2004.

1. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who will have a higher attendance next year.....

Galaxy

or

Chivas

2. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    With a ready-made fan base, unfortunately, the Chivas will probably beat the Gs in attendance. Let's hope the same is not true on the field. I implore all Gs' fans to show up for the Chivas matches in Galaxy colors and really make a racket. I'd hate for our our home matches to look and sound like Goats home games.

3. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Lets look at the facts, Expansion draft came Chivas blows it off, there big guns from Mexico are past their prime, and now that any original Chivas fan looked at the players Chivas got in the draft, they have lost a lot of their fan base in an instant.

The Galaxy will have higher attendance.

4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with Churchill on the WHY, but I still think the Galaxy will pull in a SMALL percentage more than Chivas.

LA is alread the top home draw in the MLS. The average this season was 22K. It's really hard to sell those last couple hundred seats, because they are either too expensive, not-so-good, or they aren't in groups that people may need - so many people just wait till the next game so they can get better seats. It's only on big games like July 4th, a San Jose game, or maybe a Adu game that they open up the grass area (I don't know if Adu will affect anything this coming year).

I seriously doubt that Chivas will top the average game attendance. I mean, they'd really have to pack them in. And Chivas might have a "built-in" fan base, but so does the Galaxy now. Chivas doesn't have a San Jose-type rivalry, except against LA, and those games will sell out for both.

I just don't see Chivas fans coming out any more than Galaxy fans do to see the Rapids or Columbus.

SO. Because the Galaxy will have maybe 1 or two San Jose sell-outs, plus maybe the 4th of July game (do we have that this year?), I think that Galaxy will squeek by with a few hundred people.

5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope all of Fivas' home games are sell outs, and so are the Galaxy's....

The 'mo money for the league, the better...

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    in the HDC, i really don't know who will have the higher season attendance.

on the road, i'm thinking Chivas might outdraw the Galaxy by a little, or more likely by a lot. Chivas will most likely have the top or second-highest road draw (depending on how United and Adu are playing) in 2005.

7. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    I think it will be close but Chivas will edge out LA. Novelty will help Chivas out.

another thing

apparently if you have season tickets in the good seats (sideline, west end, under the boxes) you can renew them at a 35% increase in price. But you wind up buying tickets for LA AND Chivas. You can't buy tickets for just one team.

There's an easy way to make sure a fixed amount can be announced in attendance figures. But that plan might backfire.

8. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    Where is this coming from? The same rumor was posted in another thread. I can't imagine this is going to be policy. I've already made a deposit to renew sidelines tickets for next year and was told nothing about tickets for anything but the Galaxy. This would be an absolutely insane policy, IMO. They're trying to create a rivalry here. It's like trying for force people to buy season seats for USC and UCLA football games.

9. Snapshotgalaxian

Snapshotgalaxian New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Orange, CA
    Are you just counting the 1st year. Chivas might edge us out by a little the first half or all year. Next year will be another story when the novelty and their playing style or lack of winning loses their fans. I expect fair weather fans unless they play very well.

10. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    People people, the only fan base Chivas has is purely mexican.

Secondly, the team is popular for one reason and one reason only, for being racist, anyway you cut it.

Maybe you don't know the players they got in the expansion draft but the majority weren't mexican.

So if you take away the one reason they are popular, amongst mexicans, I really see no reason how they will have great attendance.
    Especially considering that most mexicans do not like the US, and certainly don't like the MLS.

And most importantly, I really doubt you will see soccermoms bringing their kids to Chivas games, face the facts the fans are rowdy, if they show up, and if you doubt it refer to the MLS All Star game.

11. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, your post is wrong in so many different ways, it isn't even funny. I'll have to save this thread so I can pull it out a year from now.

I'll just give you one reason why Chivas will succeed, the spanish media.

That is so much better than the almost non existent media coverage the MLS gets now.

And that rowdiness you talk about, well take a look out the window. The rest of the world calls it passion.

Want rowdy? Try a Boca-River or Celtic-Rangers. As rowdy as game like this can get, I'll still consider it passion.

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Chivas succeeds as it will be good for the league and for LAG to have the profile raised.

The real fear is not that Chivas will take over. The real fear is that a bunch of MFL Chivas fans will show up at first, and after a while lose interest because the US version will be a pale imitation of the "real" Chivas team. Will they have passion after they see they are watching just another mediocre MLS club? We'll see.

13. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    Just like the Metros and DC have the atlantic cup, maybe the Galaxy and Chivas could have the Pacific Cup or something more creative i guess but nonetheless a cup which in reality is meaningless but, i guess just for bragging rights.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Huh?? Can you cite a source for this? I'll hold my breath...

Or consider the source also said...
    The MLS. 'Nuff said.

Is the Galaxy fan base made up of 23K soccer mom and kids per game? Why would the Galaxy get affected when they play New England? How does Chivas enter the equation?

In the derbies, HDC will be packed to the gills for all 4 games. W/ or w/o the soccer mom crowd.

Plus, w/ the expense involved in going to a game, you won't be getting beer thrown at you. It'll be champagne and caviar flowing... ;)

15. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    I hope the prize in the yearly Classico is a downtown dog cart!

bacon wrap cup
    copa perrito
    something like that

16. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fight

Next poll - who's fans would win a huge stadium free-for-all brawl.

I would like to think would could kick Chivas fans asses.... but who am I kidding!!

Typically Chivas Male Adult Fan is fatter than Galaxy fan.

Typically Chivas child fan 7 and younger would pummel Galaxy kid fan with those horns.

Typically Chivas Soccermom would beat the bloody hell outta, Galaxy Soccermom.. cuz nobody is whimpier than a Galaxy Soccermom.

And if they use the Piss-bomb.

I think it only right we use the Poop-projectile. The Mucus-missle, The Regurdgitation-grenade.

If none of that works.... we'll throw our Quiche at them.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I don't know why everyone is so sure about sellouts for Galaxy vs. Chivas. I mean there will be fake sellouts to be sure but I am willing to bet the stadium will NOT actually be full.

18. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    not true. im a season ticket holder and just renewed.

19. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    Churchill, I'm surprised at this post. Not like you to post such crap. Oh well, maybe you're having a bad day and feel like using the race card to ease your stress.

Please don't bother to reply as it's impossible to explain.

20. The Manwich

The Manwich Member

Sep 28, 2004
    South Gate
    What section?

21. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I don't think that the CD Chivas USA attendence will be as high as people are guessing, although they won't have a terrible attendence. I voted for the Galaxy out of hope nonetheless...

22. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, it IS true for the Club Seats in sections 110-111-112. If you want to sit there you pay much more than 2004 and you "get" seats to all games - LAG and Chivas. If you don't want the Chivas tickets, that's tough - you have to buy them as part of the tie in. Which is why I will be giving up my Club Seats and LAG will be seeing a lot less of my money than they have since 1996.

23. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you mean by "fake sellouts." It is quite possible that the team could SELL all 27K seats (a real sellout) and that only 25K show up for the game - stadium not actually full. Selling the ticket doesn't mean that the person buying it has to use it. So you can have 23, 24K people in the stadium and it still is really sold out.

24. HDCWORKER

HDCWORKER New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    chivas will get more money inside galaxy people just dont care its hardly a sell out on the stadium.

25. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just like to point out the price difference. This past season, a front row center-line seat was $15 at Spartan Stadium. Even two seasons ago, there were no seats in the HDC for that price, IIRC.