News: Galaxy interested in West Ham midfield Nobby Solano

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. SOCCER NATION, Jun 16, 2008.

1. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
  2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Solano.

Can't comment on how his legs are holding up -- let alone on the bullshittery quotient of this particular rumor -- but as a player he's always seemed quality, honest and no-nonsense.

That said: Ummm... doesn't he play right midfield? I know depth is good, but that would the footballing equivalent of "bowler's arm."

3. Shanoni

Shanoni New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I will support any team with Nobby on it. I LOVE HIM!!!!

4. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please bring him over NOW!!!;)

5. lagalaxy900

lagalaxy900 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solano has always been one of my favorite players. He is a class act on and off the pitch and has been known to fill in at any spot he is needed at. (See Newcastle 2 years ago before the move to West Ham) He can play right wing, right back, or central defense, but I think Klien has been doing an extraordinary job at RB all season and winger is taken by Becks so I could see him coming to LA as a central defender.

Definetely someone worth taking a shot at though, I guess we'll see what happens, I am so ready for a move from LA right now!!!

6. fuentga

fuentga New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Buenos Aires
    He can still play..he was running up and down the field playing #7 position for Peru against Colombia.

7. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably my favorite player to don the Newcastle kit. I wouldn't mind seeing him here if LA can afford him. He's probably a utility player that LA could use wherever Gullit may see fit.

8. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    Holy effin $hit!! Nobby was a crowd favorite at Newcastle (and one of my own personal favorites). This guy is pure class. However, I'm kinda torn about this one though, here is one of my all time favorite players from Tyneside available on transfer but ... he is aging midfielder. Im not sure how many more miles he has left in the tank.

9. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Legs aren't what they were, but he's still quality and would be a good signing for a year or so. Can play more or less anywhere, and in a league where you only have so many spaces on the team, a player who can cover like him would be a sound investment.

10. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    If Im not mistaken this is another one of Gullit's former players? (ala Babayaro).

Still Id rather have someone in his 20's, whos career is not going anywhere (like Carlos).

11. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Personally I wouldn't mind/ The main thing is that the manager thinks he can do the job. Solano would be better for a year or so than most of the 20 year olds that LA could attract. I can see in a few years LA being a genuine contender in big transfer deals for younger players, it just may be a case of taking what we can get for a while. I had the same attitute when Leeds signed Dougie Freedman from Palace last season (36 year old) but he was loaned to play in the second striker role, dropping off and showing leadership and it really worked very well.

If I was Ruud and he wanted to come, I'd bite his hand off.

12. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sounds like a tricky deal if Chivas are interested as well. The league will award a transfer to the team in pole position of allocation order. If Chivas sit higher on the list the league will award Chivas the rights to this player. Nevermind the fact that he'll probably want to play for Ruud and the G's have more allocation money to sweeten a deal. Chivas will have leverage at the negotiation table.

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure we're higher on the allocation list than Chivas.

14. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that there is no allocation necessary for Solano, or any other international player. The MLS "Rules" say

http://www.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

Since Solano isn't a returning USMNT player, I highly doubt that the league would use allocations in their discretion over him. It would probably come down to where he wanted to go.

Of course I think none of these guys are coming to the Gals anyway, so it's an academic exercise, but there's the rule anyway.

15. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

It's the "or in other cases" statement therein that makes the exercise rhetorical.

16. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that whomever files a "discovery" claim on him would win out wouldn't they?

17. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The discovery claim means the player would be tied to a salary restriction. no?:confused:

18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disclaimer: I have not "mastered" the arcane MLS rules. Here's what I think it means.

If we were to acquire him as a discovery player, LAG would have to fit his salary under the cap. But, since he would be a "new" player we could use the allocation money that Bravo talked about to pay down the cap hit, although only for this year.

So, hypothetically, if we have $100K remaining under the cap, and Bravo is sitting on a pot of $800K allocation money, we could offer $900K to the guy and still be in compliance this year. ALL NUMBERS ARE HYPOTHETICAL AND FOR ILLUSTRATION - THEY DO NOT REFLECT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT ACTUAL NUMBERS.

19. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play deep

For money: I think MLS can work anything out with the proper amount of total bullshlt.

While the rest of the league would like to spend $11 dollars and a 50% off pizza hut pizone coupon on their own teams. Let the Galaxy spend millions to bring an allstar squad to there city.

If AEG is willing to pay 75-100 million dollars a year in player salaries, then let them try and bring in the Ronaldinho's, Edgar Davids, Norby Solano's of the world.

But that is going to be the justification to dump the salary cap, because right now it is looking like a thiny veiled excuse for other teams to fake anger at not being able to compete. 75% of MLS teams and there ownership groups are nothing but 2 bit soccer pimp hustlers not willing to see the big picture always looking for that quick dirty crack dollar.

So... f()ck em'

20. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just tried to read through all this http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview but still don't understand it all. How stupid. Why can't the league just simplify things. I am still not sure what would constitute an allocation or a discovery.

I would guess, in spirit, a discovery pick was supposed to be for the instances when a team would go and scout out a previously unknown player (to MLS at least) and then want to sign him. Given that we certainly didnt "discover" Solano, wouldnt he have to be an allocation?

You know what, I don't care. The rules changes so much anyway I am just going to sit and wait to see what happens. The one thing you have to admit that spin masters AEG and Alexi Lalas are good for is finding ways around the status quo in order to get what they want.

21. Olympique-Lyonnais

Olympique-Lyonnais New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Nope! We don´t need Solano! He has´ent the quality to play for Galaxy!
    Remember! If we played europeen football/soccer, in example the dutch league, we could for sure end as champions, and be in champions league!
    LA Galaxy got the quality!
    Anybody who has, season tickets?