Galaxy expansion list

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by SoulflyTribeFC, Nov 16, 2004.

1. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I heard this from a friend of a friend...

Players unprotected for Friday are Broome, Saragosa, Popik and Torres.

Don't know if it's true, but the friend of a friend is a friend indeed, or something.

2. Fulhamfan

Fulhamfan New Member

Oct 17, 1999
    Valley

I was reading the MLS Cup coverage on AmericanSoccerNews, which BTW is far superior to anywhere else, when confirmation of the above popped up in their Soccer Shorts section.

Linda

3. The Manwich

The Manwich Member

Sep 28, 2004
    South Gate
    Saragosa??

WTF??

So, this is what I'm thinking how the list goes:
    Protected:
    Chris Albright
    Danny Califf
    Cobi Jones
    Jovan Kirovski
    Tyrone Marshall
    Alejandro Moreno
    Ryan Suarez
    Peter Vagenas
    Sasha Victorine
    Kevin Hartman
    Carlos Ruiz
    Joseph Ngwenya

Unprotected:
    Paul Broome
    Arturo Torres
    Dan Popik
    Marcelo Saragosa

Retiring:
    Hong Myung-Bo
    Andreas Herzog

P40/Dev:
    Chris Aloisi
    Alan Gordon
    Scot Thompson
    Josh Gardner
    Guillermo Gonzalez
    Ned Grabavoy

4. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Yeah, isn't he on loan from a Brazilian club? Can he be left unprotected for the expansion draft? How does that work?

5. The Manwich

The Manwich Member

Sep 28, 2004
    South Gate
    Chivas has the first pick, so I think Saragosa or Torres will be one of the first from Galaxy to be picked.

6. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    hey, who needs saragosa when we have vagenas.

oh wait...

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Does Saragosa speak Spanish?

8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the uncertainty of Saragosa's return, plus the likely transfer fee MLS would have to pay for Saragosa will prevent him from being drafted.

The Galaxy have a relationship with Sao Paulo, none of the other teams do. I don't think Sao Paulo will extend Saragosa's loan with MLS if he is transfered.

That's the thinking, I'll bet. I hope Saragosa stays in the league. I fear he will leave the league. If he ends up in the league on another team I'll be royally pissed.

9. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles

This has got to be a joke! Saragosa has been the brightest light for the Galaxy since he got here. He's been nearly perfect on the pitch. If they let him go, it will be the worst mistake they ever make. If they let him go I will join the ranks of the FUERA DOUG MOVEMENT!!

Please I hope this is a joke!

10. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    It could backfire on the Galaxy. One of the expansion teams could select Saragosa and then turn around and try to trade with the Galaxy for the player they really want.

11. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    If Chivas Jr. drafts him, I dont think SP would have a problem with it. Same city, same stadium, and if the goats like what they see, Chivas Sr. has the cash to splash.

That said, taking Torres might be the smart move for them, even if they sit him on the bench. He's a local boy, and he'd bring a few Galaxy fans with him.

12. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Wasn't Victorine one of Sigi's boys from UCLA?...This is the perfect opportunity to get rid of that dead weight...

Saragosa, Broome and Torres IMHO have more potential in them for next year's Galaxy than Sasha and his gangliness could ever have.

There...that's my rant of the day... :D ...now i feel better. cheers!

13. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Si senor.

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    this isn't too bad. point blank though if saragosa ends up on another MLS team next season sampson and doug should be fired... then again i think they should fired already.

15. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Info

Fred Roggin just said the Galaxy were not going to protect cobi jones in the expansion draft friday.

oh wait... fred roggin would never say that. cuz fred roggin is a duche bag who jabbed his coke straw to far up his nose to many times.

maybe rob fukazaki might have the scoop, what do you fellas think?

16. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Well, barring some great acquistions offseason, if this is the core unit that trots out next season, we're in trouble...again. Too many role players, too many "give less than 100%ers", and too little talent (goes with role players, I guess).

And someone explain why Victorine continues to be a "must have" for this team. I'm not one of his fans, admittedly, but obviously the guy has his supporters in the right positions. What am I missing and why can't we find, somewhere on this entire globe, someone better than Sasha?

17. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Re: New Info

That's bull. First of all, why would Saragosa and Broome be unprotected? They are both first team regulars. Second off, Saragosa is Sao Paulo's property, not that of MLS from what I understand. Therefore, he doesn't have to be protected...at least from what I can see...

18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protecting Vagenas and Victorine over Broome I don't understand. Leaving Saragosa unprotected seems to be a calculated gamble. Today Hamilton said in a conference call that Sao Paolo wants a significant transfer fee for Saragosa, so he doesn't think either of the expansion teams will want to pick up a player that might very well not be in the league next season.

I'm guessing we lose Torres to Chivas and Broome to Real SLC.

Since neither player is a starter in the formation I'd like to see the Galaxy playing next season, I'm not too upset about it.

19. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    maybe he has compromising pics of sigi and steve. together. no wait, that's absurd and highly unlikely. it's got to be shots of hamilton doing lines[censored] off a [censored]'s [censored].

20. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    For the most part I can say that I am neither shocked nor upset with this list.

Popik and Torres make perfect sense to me. Hopefully, Torres will be the first selected and the Galaxy can pull back Broome.

Saragosa, makes sense with his loan status. I did not really understand how this would come into play. But I hope it is safe to assume that Samson and Hamilton know what they are doing here.

Which brings me to the move I do NOT understand. Why Broome. In short I agree with this statement 100%

The only way that allowing Broome to leave makes sense is:

1. Sampson plans on going to a 3 man backline. However, I certainly believe that that Broome would do well as D-Mid if Saragosa leaves or even a Left Mid in a 5 man midfield.

2. Sampson intends on moving Victorine to Left Back making Broome expendable. In which case, where do I buy my ticket for the Fire Sampson Band Wagon.

In either case, I am extremely dis-heartened to think that I will once again have to suffer seeing that USELESS PILE OF S**T Victorine in a Galaxy uniform.

21. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Saragosa is left unprotected because of his status with Sao Paulo. He's on loan, so I wonder if a team takes him will they have the same contract and all that good stuff as Saragosa has now. He's too valuable a player to leave unprotected simply because he doesn't cut it.

If the core of this team is brought back and there aren't any significant chanes, then wer're in trouble. But if we can improve on several positions (it all depends on what formation Steve uses, of course) then the team will contend for the title next year.

22. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Don't forget guys...3 SI spots open now, right? A couple of big moves and we're in business. Just no Luis Hernandez repeats...

23. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, like others, I'm puzzled by the non-protection of Saragosa. I'm still trying to figure out what his loan status has to do with anything.

And freaking Victorine?! ChiBear, I love your rants!

24. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Times says they are gambling that RSL and Chivas don't want to pay the very high price Sao Paolo is asking for Saragosa. They better be right. Otherwise Sampson/Hamilton each deserve donkey kick to the nuts. Hell they deserve it anyway just for good measure.

25. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, is Saragosa that expensive? The Goats have Vergara, a frickin' billionaire! Who's to say that he won't pay Saragosa the top cap salary? That kind of gambling might backfire. Hell, if Gallo is gone, Dougie and Stevie each deserve three donkey kicks to the nuts.