Galaxy Dev Team to Irvine

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Lazy Assed Assassin, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a little discussion in the Galaxy 2 thread.

looking forward to the first comments from AEG on the subject. not sure the “why” of our actions here.

3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It would be better if the Galaxy MLS next team played in the City of Santa Ana stadium. It'd be right smack dab in the middle of a real community and it'd feel so much more organic than cookie-cutter Irvine and the Great Park. The environment would provide so much potential for the Galaxy to weave themselves into the neighborhood and to build the "local club" feel.

napper, skydog, Dawdler and 1 other person repped this.
  4. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great idea.

I don’t get the desire/need to take over Championship Stadium and not share it with other teams.

5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog and Benny Dargle repped this.
  6. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The Santa Ana Muni stadium is on the narrower side, and is older amd looks to have less capacity than the Great Park stadium. However, it has hosted soccer games.

7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    It’s also not a grass field, which is an advantage of OC Great Park (which might go away if Irvine decides to convert it to artificial turf). I’m sure the Galaxy would prefer a field for its developmental team that’s the same as the one used by its senior team. Santa Ana is basically a turf football field that could host soccer games.

hav77 repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is some insight into the city's point of view. Seems like OCSC's problems are as much with Irvine as it is with AEG but they purposely decided to make AEG/MLS the big bad guy in this dispute for PR (i guess?)

ProudNatRN, Beirut, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I suspected this might be as much an Irvine issue as anything and it was possible that Irvine even approached AEG to see if they could get a better deal.

TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we finally make a statement. Seems we backed down. I think us being the exclusive tenant probably was the most appealing thing to Irvine so this is probably helpful to ocsc.

Dawdler and hav77 repped this.
  11. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having AEG manage the facility instead of the city probably saves Irvine money - and headaches when the community complaints.

Dawdler repped this.
  12. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Here's an update on the Galaxy II to OC Great Park story

I'm dubious that a desire to rent out some practice space for a 1-2 month period (maximum) during the 2026 World Cup has anything to do with Galaxy II taking over exclusive use of the Great Park Championship Stadium, although I don't doubt that this is something that may have been discussed as a way to make some money back without the other pro teams having guaranteed dates during that period. It's more like the kind of thing AEG would say that they could arrange and other pro teams could not because they don't have connections and because USL and NISA might continue to play through the World Cup, while MLS and MLS Next Pro could assure Irvine that they would stop play in that period.

https://www.angelsonparade.com/2022...to-city-of-irvine-over-2023-stadium-situation

hav77 repped this.
  13. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 mbar, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2022
    At the end of the day, it’s Irvine’s stadium and they are going to do what’s in their best interest.

I don’t think Galaxy 2 should be in oC but I’m not going to shed any tears for OCSC. They are not entitled to play at that stadium the way they act like they are. If they can’t reach a deal with their landlord that is their fault.

they are not the first pro soccer team who’s business model is completely undermined by being a renter instead of an owner. (see MLS circa 1996-2000)

Beakmon FC, hav77 and 73Bruin repped this.