Gai Assulin is gettin spanish citizenship

Discussion in 'Israel' started by Benayoun, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Benayoun

Benayoun New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Very soon, that'd be great. I'm pretty sure Guardiola will give him chances to play this season

2. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Good news for his club career, but is anybody else still worried about the national team? He only played in a friendly so I don't think he's cap-tied to us yet and I haven't heard anything about him saying for sure he's playing for Israel. Plus the kid has a heavier accent than Roberto Colautti. :rolleyes:

After not playing for the U-21 team, I'm a bit worried that he might be planning something. :(

If Kashtan has any brains he will call him up for our next game.

3. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Yea well...he left Israel a long time ago at like age 11 or something to play in Barcelona..He picked up probably Spanish and Catalan in the process so its hard for him to speak hebrew like he normally has..especially since most of his school is in another language..

And yea...im afraid for that as well..

Dont forget his father always tells him what to do and how to do it..its very hard to deal with parents who refuse to let him see eye to eye with their kids and act as if they are soccer prodigy....clearly he is good. But what would he do if he shuns Israel off the map? Then he wont play in Israel or dont want to play and try to play a game or 2 for Spanish?
    Is this De-Ridder #2? A person who tries so hard to play in the top 10 NT for a country who he holds citizenship but falls short and capped with them 5-6-10 games in his career?
    They all regret it in the end....because a real superstar gets called up more often and not for a few measly games (most of them being friendlies).

Im happy though, cause like Dudu Awatt...getting a Spanish/EU citizenship clears him in the bossman rule and allows him to not be known as a 'foreigner'.

Sachar is also like that, since he got a Polish Passport (but like i and geffen always say...Ani Soneh Anashim...ikar Polanim :mad: )

BTW: Does anyone know how the Spanish citizenship works for Jews?
    Out of curiosity, they have special clauses cause of the 1492 Spanish Inquisition and although im not Morrocan/Tunisian, i may have a case possibly...anyone ever tried to get one?

4. Benayoun

Benayoun New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    I was borned in Haifa, but I 've been living in Madrid since I was 3, so obviously i also got the spanish citizenship, theorically I should've rennounced to my israeli passport ( NEVER :D), for sheparadic people I think it's different, there's an spanish law who let them acquire spanish citizenship very quickly ( this is not the Assulin's case either, he's been living here for more than 5 years...). Anyway, i wouldn't be worried about the national team, Assulin will play for Israel for sure, but just in case national coach should call him for the next game. Now that I think about it, Assulin's already played for national team, even if it was a friendly game, do u really think he could be called for Spain's national team??

5. Kappa18

Kappa18 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Beitar Jerusalem FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    He would have had to impress alot of people in Spain to get to the NT..but clearly not one is looking at him and he doesnt make justice if he goes and leads Israel or competes for a few games in Spain....

Right now they know him as a youth player of Barcelona who still cant break into the Seniors Squad (yet) and like i said.... its not like a good prodigy from another country comes to Spain and wants to try out for the Spanish NT.

They are making Assuilin a Mizrahi #2.
    Im just gonna go by the key fact that he is interested in getting the citizenship cause he lived there for a long time and would improve his chances in staying in Europe because of the bosman ruling