Ga., Ky., Ohio Vote Against Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Elections' started by BenReilly, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? So we can be like King Canute trying to stop the tide?

The people have spoken. I'm eligible to immigrate to Canada, and my employer has positions in Ottawa I could likely transfer too. I am seriously considering it. My wife has joked about it, but... if I could convince her, I'd probably do it.

2. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    You might be struggling if (and it's a big "if") the Tories win the election here expected next year. They would limit UK immigration to 100,000 pa, same as emigration from here. Even the current govt isn't too keen on encouraging immigration, because SE England is very densely populated.

But we do have a (gently) declining population in Scotland and the Executive is making some pisspoor attempts at encouraging "skilled" immigration here. Plus you would get to see the fabulous flowing football of the SPL.

:D

3. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because if every good, sensible person cuts and runs, then we're truly fvcked. Don't outsource yourself.

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have zero faith in the American people anymore. Bush was absolutely awful, and he ********ing gained votes. Virtually all of the state constitutional amendments banning gay marriage passed.

If the fact that we emancipated the slaves didn't exist, I'd have to say that on balance the Civil War was a horrible ********ing idea. We should've let the South secede and just gone on guerrilla raids to free slaves. Instead, we are stuck with those mouthbreathers saddling us with, in fiscal terms, the worst conservative ever. And that's not his worst attribute.

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But almost 50% of this country didn't vote for him. You and I live next to some of the biggest mouthbreathers in this country. You can't deny the heavy contingent of slackjawed jacknuts that live in Ohio and Michigan. But nothing will get better if we give up on them. Nothing!

Jesus man, I voted for Bush four years ago. I was one of the most conservative Republicans you would ever meet. But I was able to finally see the farce of this presidency. And I was able to sway others to see that as well. I refuse to believe that the majority voted for Bush because the sincerely thought he was the best choice for the country. Most likely it's due to John Kerry being such a douche of a candidate and therefore not winning their vote in any way, shape, or form.

Don't give up on this country.

6. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm trying, but it's really hard. it's hard work. hahahaha.. it just blows my mind that people here can say, hmm.. i lost my job, i have no health insurance, gas is over $2... but at least gay people can't get married!!! (hello. they never could)

stupid. stupid. stupid. at least i have the right to complain since i voted.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Our country gave up on us. They swallowed the propagand hook, line & sinker.

I'm glad you were able to see through it, but sadly, most people did not.

Personally, I don't want to live under a religious oligarchy.

8. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Let's hear it for OHIO!

[​IMG]

9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I think it'll take you a couple of years - you have to play in 75% of the Nats matches first.

Unless you can prove you're better than Convey.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If, like me, you have a grandparent from Ireland, you can apply for Irish citizenship. Once you have that you can work anywhere in the EU without a work permit.

I am more dismayed at these overwhelming results than I am about the Presidential election. This is purely a value issue, and social conservative "Christian" values are trumping facts and common sense here. It's a microcosm of what at least the next two years are going to be like as it plays itself out on FMA, abortion, welfare, immigration, church/state issues, etc. nicephoras and I debated a couple of weeks back about how much power the evangelicals had under Dubya's first term. I think that regardless of how much they got for themselves over the past four years, last night is both a huge victory and a roadmap for future victories for them on the state level, and BushCo isn't going to stop them from doing this with other hot-button issues.

11. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I can recall feeling this bad after Clinton won in 96. The country is better than its president (regardless of who it is). The important thing is that dems, in order to improve their lot in these elections, are gonna have to do more than call the opposition stupid...

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It worked for the Republicans...

13. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you decided to disregard the reasons I called it stupid. Oh, how Republican of you.

14. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    And you have an overinflated sense of self by assuming I was talking about/replying to you. How dem of you.

15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the "conservative 'Christian'" values that, until the past 40 years this country embraced and built itself on are indeed based on facts and common sense, rather than the other way around.