Ga., Ky., Ohio Vote Against Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Elections' started by BenReilly, Nov 2, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041103/ap_on_el_st_lo/eln_gay_marriage_5

Who cares about trillions in debt, the worst health care system in the industrialized world, and countless other tragic problems so long as the gays can't get married.

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Ohio's amendment is a joke, and I am really disappointed people didn't investigate the issue more or they may have change their mind and voted differently.

People see "Ban Gay Marriage" on a ballot and it scares the hell out of them that if they don't vote yes it means gay people can get married here in Ohio, which is incorrect.

Ughh, what the fvck is wrong with people :(

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah thats America's closet predjudice shining through.Laugh at Will and Grace and say publicly you have no problem with gays as long as they don't try to get with you...but behind the poll booth..75% ! say you can't have the same rights as me ******!

This coupled with a probable Bush victory really is embarasing in the eyes of the world.

4. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    And the high numbers pave the way for a Constitutional amendment. Which, of course, will happen, since Bush will no longer have to worry about the electorate.

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Or the Supreme Court.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Harvey Milk rolls in his grave!

7. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Well, the Supreme Court won't matter if it's in the Constitution.

8. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Actually, I think America is relatively liberable when it comes to gay rights. I may be wrong, but I actually think Massachusetts may be the only place in the world where there is gay marriage. I know a few countries (The Netherlands I know, maybe a few others) allow civil unions, but in most European countries (I know definitely France, and I'm sure Italy and Spain too) there is a lot of opposition to gay marriage and unions.

9. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Gringotex played his cards and lost, as if this were some Red River Classic.

He told us that Bush played this card, on a national level, knowing this would not pass. It passed on the state level and brought out the vote to defeat Kerry.

Rove, can I have your love child?!?!?!

Seeing the PBS Frontline special only makes this case more hard to take. Bush was hand-picked to play the Christians and for Rove (Schultz) to play him. Bush said, 'This is easy!', and sad to say, it was.

So much for "hard work!"

10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Rove is an evil genius. The Ohio constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage could, probably will, win Bush re-election by helping turnout and swinging socialy conservative voters his way.

11. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    You said what I said, but only better!

Or maybe Bruce Springsteen ruined everything!

Born in the USA?

******** you!

12. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget the other 7 states that approved a similar amendment tonight. And Oregon probably will.

And 2 or 3 more that did back in August.

13. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Doesn't matter.

All the gays are moving to France or Canada.

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Two green nipples! I'm on fire, I'm a flamer (not actually because it's now illegal in Montana land of steers but no queers)

15. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Yes, but put a few brickbats in reserve for Gavin Newsom while you're at it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Mass. Supremes decision would have been a story for a couple days, neocons railing against activist judges and that would have been the end of it. But then one day in February, the mayor of San Francisco decided the laws of the city and state he was sworn to uphold didn't apply to him, and that changed everything. Now the issue was front and center, and only then did Bush then call for a constitutional amendment banning it. That could be construed as the turning point of the election. It energized his far-right base that they turned out in staggering numbers. Bush knew the federal ban was just about DOA, but that was not what he had in mind.

So I hope Mr. Newsom is happy wherever he is at this moment. He probably cost Kerry the presidency...

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I fear what this country has become.

17. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Michigan approved a gay marriage ban last night as well.

18. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Too bad the clueless bumkins in this state have no fvcking clue what they just did.

I'm surrounded by **************s.

19. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next thing you know we'll be burning witches again.

I really don't think any of these people actually read the proposal. Now, of course, ANYONE (not just the gay people) who is not legally married can be denied the rights that married people have. healthcare, hospital visitation rights. Hope these people realize what happened when they get turned away at the hospital to visit their dying partner because they didn't have a ring.

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good! I am glad that American voters made a course correction and acknowledged the importance of morality as opposed to immorality! I look forward to an Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protecting traditional marriage and an end to this immoral "gay marriage" business!

God bless George W. Bush!

IntheNet
    Bush/Cheney in 2004

=> adios Daschle!

21. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You and me both, sugar. I'm seriously considering moving to the UK. At least they have half a brain and love the beautiful game. :(

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm calling the British Embassy as soon as they open to find out how to start the process of getting a work permit.

Another four years of the Patriot Act? No thanks.

23. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay. We need people in this country with sensibility. We can't cut and run when all hell is breaking loose. In fact, the next four years are going to be very interesting. We are going to need all of the help we can get. I truly believe that the people that voted for Bush have absolutely no clue what they're doing.

24. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my post above. Stick around Mike.

25. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    No company is going to decide not to expand in a state that hasn't legalized gay marriage.

Many companies will decide not to expand into states that have made it and civil unions illegal.

Congrats, Ohio, land of the lost jobs and the fleeing population. You just shot yourself in the foot. Enjoy poverty.