FYI: Pizza Wars: Chicago vs NY

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by metrocorazon, Oct 12, 2003.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you had "Greek Style" pizza? Its a little thicker than the thin stuff, its a round pie, and the pieces are cut in squares.

I think you have something about the skill in making pizza though. Stuffing a pan isn't the right way.

and this reminds me of a joke.

Gaston, Boudreaux and Henri go to a pizza place in New Orleans. They order a large pizza and the waiter asks "Would you like us to cut it in 6 slices or 8?"

Gaston replies "You better cut it into 6 slices, I don't think we could eat 8"

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Isn't that a SICILIAN? Except the whole pie is square.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's what I thought when I moved here as well, but its known as "Greek style" in these parts.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My brother had a funny comment about NJ pizza when he came down from the woods of New England. "You can actually smell the ingredients in the pizza around here." Up where he lives they're deathly afraid of using such daring spices as basil, garlic or oregano on a pie. And forget about the crust. It runs the gamut from Wonder Bread consistency to flat, frisbee-like matzoh. New England is great for many things but they generally can't do pizza, heroes & bagels (maybe in parts of Boston or Providence, but not in small town N.E.).

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had pizza in New Hampshire, Vermont, Cape Cod, and Boston.

Pizzaria Reggina in Boston was great, the others were poor to fair at best.

Connecticut has such tough competition that most are pretty good. In fact I think pizza is the 3rd largest industry in Connecticut after Defense and Insurance.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  7. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Uno is crap. its for the tourists. no self respecting chicagoan goes in there. its comercial crap

8. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    the bastard that though it would be a good idea to put goat cheese an pineaple on flatbread and call it pizza should be beaten with a cane.

9. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    have you ever had it? i mean in Chicago? Gino's east is anything but thrown together.... never seen liverwurst and spam pizza.

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I wouldn't be suprised if they have this stuff in Hawaii...SPAM capital of the world.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    No - just the goop that they call Pizzeria Uno.

I might change my mind if I ate an "original" deep dish pie. But the whole fat crust concept turns me off. It's like eating a pot pie IMO.

12. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Gino's East has a great crust. Crunchy on the bottom. It's not as thick as most think. I think the ration of cheese/sause is equal to the crust.

And like i said Uno is not real Chicago pizza.

13. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Damn girl!! You know what's up! Hey, you single? ;)

Gino's is the bomb. I used to go there sometimes - the one on Rush. Then if I remember there was one in Skokie. Their deep dish was pretty awesome. Another good Chicago spot was Aurilios (can't remember the spelling). They were pretty good. Had an awesome thin crust too. New York is okay, but it's like making the deep dish in Chicago is an art.

I don't like too much of that weird stuff on pizza. Strangest I could go is bbq chicken pizza or hamburger. Pineapple? Ham? Fish? The thought makes me want to [​IMG]

Uno's is utter shit. I tried to eat there since I left Chicago and not only did it not agree with me, it beat the hell out of my stomach.

14. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    New Yorkers should agree with me on this-

Grimaldi's ends all Pizza arguments.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You may not like it, but after watching this show, I'm not sure you can say this.

16. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Being a lifelong NYer, I have to say that NY pizza is the best, however it is what I was raised on so that surely accounts for the taste.

I've had Pepe's in New Haven, it is good, but not the best I've had.

I've had pizza in Italy. Good, but not Frank Pepe's.

I've had pizza in Chicago (at either Giordano's or Edwardo's, I can't recall which as it was about 12 years ago) and when done well it is also very good. It is an acquired taste though, and you have to know what you are getting into.

I will mention that to say that you've eaten at Uno's and you don't like Chicago pizza is to say that one time you were in Arizona you got a Big New Yorker from Pizza Hut and you don't like NY pizza. It's really not the same deal, despite what the menu cover tells you.

We should start a separate thread on this, but is there any chain restaurant that actually makes good food?

17. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

Does Morton's count?

18. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Chicago style pizza is really king and so is Chicago Stlye hot dogs.

19. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    New York style pizza is really king and so is New York style hot dogs.

20. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  21. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Umm good, Good for you. Good for me!

[​IMG]

Heat in water, steam, grill or microwave to 170°F. Place the authentic Vienna® Beef Hot Dog in a steamed poppyseed bun. Then pile on the toppings in this order:
    1. Yellow Mustard
    2. Bright Green Relish
    3. Fresh Chopped Onions
    4. Two Tomato Wedges
    5. A Kosher Pickle Spear
    6. Two Sport Peppers (careful!)
    7. A Dash of Celery Salt

22. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lou Malantis

[​IMG]

Umm good!

23. Don Boppero 3000

Jan 15, 2001
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    NO GOOD!

[​IMG]

New York style hot dogs!!

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Re: Umm good, Good for you. Good for me!

WTF is going on in Chicago? I'd stop at numbers 2 or possibly 3. 4-7 are completely unnecessary and would probably result in a good beat down from some of the hot dog vendors in these parts. :)

Everyone knows that the best deep fried hot dogs in the known universe are served at Rutt's Hut in Clifton, NJ.

25. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chicago-style pizza SUCKS Donkey chunks. It shouldn't even be called pizza because no self-respecting Italian would ever eat that crap. Pizza must be thin, thin, thin, and foldable! New York pizza wins out over Chicago big-time.

For the record, I've been working in and out of San Francisco for the past 4 years and I have yet to find a good pizza joint. For all the Italians that live there, I'm very surprised.

A Special Investigation: WHY WEST COAST PIZZA TASTES LIKE CRAP