FYI: Hall Announcement on ESPNews 4:00pm EST

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mpruitt, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  2. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to figure Harkes, Ramos, Celo are automatics and Dooley should have a good shot.

Andy

3. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In the daily news thread a poster discredited Nowak because the announcement wasn't being made by 'his team' as a player. However, just could easily be that they're making the annoucnement for Nowak out of DC now. I would agree though, those three would appear to be automatics.

If Valderama, Nowak or even Dooley get passed over I think it willlead to discussion again of where international players in MLS fit within the Hall and where US Nats that didn't do as much domestically fit as well.

5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They're doing the broadcast from ESPN Zone in DC. Playing up the game of the Game of Their Lives thing. Harkes just spoiled the announcement that it's Balboa and Ramos. Typical yukfest, Wynalda hosted.

Brian Kenny making note of the fact that they're both from Kearny, NJ. He continues to impress with the intelligence of his questions. Ramos looking sharp and professional in his suit...looking pretty fit too. "I'm sure it's not going to be long before Tony (Meola) gets his call too."

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    "the" DC United

:rolleyes:

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, so many soccer people keep making this mistake that its almost hard to get upset at anyone else who does it now. It was fun back in the day to scream at the TV every time Ty said it, but now more and more people who should know better, like Balboa on the HDNET telecasts, continue to do it.

Andy

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nothing too interesting from the Q&A session. Rah rah stuff from Marcelo, Tab, Harkes and Wynalda.
    Some random guy standing next to Tab now holding up his hall of fame jersey.

Why do all of these things come off as vaguely akward? Having this stuff televised live is great, it's a step but I wish we could polish up the presentation a little bit.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've heard Balboa say "the" MLS, but I've never heard him say "the" DC United.

I haven't checked recently, but does DC United still include the "don't say "the" DC United" line on their press packets?

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Yes they do..

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wynalda joked about what a stacked field it was but man was I suprised to see the total vote breakdown.

Marcelo Balboa - 108 votes, 87.80%

Tab Ramos - 108 votes, 87.80%

John Harkes - 107 votes, 86.99%

Thomas Dooley - 72 votes, 58.54%

Hugo Perez - 62 votes, 50.41%

Peter Vermes - 57 votes, 46.34%

Carlos Valderrama - 54 votes, 43.90%

Bruce Murray - 42 votes, 34.15%

Peter Nowak - 32 votes, 26.02%

Roy Wegerle - 31 votes, 25.20%

Very suprised to see Nowak and Valderama that low. Interesting also that Wegerle came in 4th last year I believe and now is towards the bottom of this list. I'll try to see what the voters were last year to compare.

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    For those who missed the broadcast the Ramos portion s on ESPN.com InMotion video archive at the moment. It's linked on the front page.

13. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    What would they have done if ESPN didn't hate soccer?