FYI - column on Lavolpe

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by anderson, Jul 13, 2005.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI - a column by John Lopez in today's Houston Chronicle:

Lavolpe far from likeable but has formula for success

2. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    WHOAAAAAA who the hell is John Lopez?

Is he reading BigSoccer?

I wrote the following on Jul 2nd:

his report is beyond idiotic

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lopez is one of the Houston Chronicle's main sports columnists. He writes opinion pieces about all significant sports stories in town, but gives some attention to soccer.

He welcomes all comments - and the more he gets in response to his soccer columns, the better - so let him know that you've got rights on that line and want full credit. :D

4. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Hah, took your sh!t.

5. aguilas

aguilas New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Club América
    That guy is hilarious, he stole LMvCP's work.

6. Ese_Guy

Ese_Guy New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sunny Southern CA
    ROFL
    He's lucky this isn't high school.

7. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    i think JL is my love child...

I just wrote to the guy.
    To: john.lopez@chron.com
    Hey pal, you don't watch much soccer do you?
    I was hoping for you to talk about Lavolpe's tactics, or at least explain why you find his lineups "unconventional". Or why he'd be called a "loser" by a former player, when as a player, Lavolpe won the World Cup. Or why the guy united the team...
    Then again, I kept on reading your article... and you called the Gold Cup "Prestigious"...
    Granted: I suppose your column is usually not for the soccer initiate... but keep in mind those of us who really soccer assume you have background knowledge, and will expect you to use it. And may well shake our collective head in disgust about your Lopezismos...
    But frankly, seems like you just went surfin' and read some peep posts...

8. eL SaNcHo 22

eL SaNcHo 22 New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Kenosha, Wi

9. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito
    ahahahahhahahahahahahaha

LMvCP got plagarized

think about it though, I would be flattered.

10. ezyM

ezyM Member

Jun 16, 2005
    LMvCP...lets make this more interesting...what if u were plagarized by one of us...what if one of us was the fan that emailed the response :eek:

11. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito
    I love this article :D

12. ut8man

ut8man Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The SLC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just what lmVcp need...a boost in ego. :eek:

13. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes:

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    my feelings exactly Ortega...

We dont hate him because is Argentine. Menotti was not hated and he is not Mexican. Bora is loved an he is not Mexican (he is naturalized and considers Mexico his 1st home)

I also dont like how he used the word "drug scandal". Later on in the paragraph he does use the word "performance enhancing" drugs. When you 1st read "drug scandal" you think thre worst type. So, i think as a reporter you do have to be careful how you structure your article.

I just thought the article was going no where and misleading.

15. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    not much I could do. THis is an open domain and you can.

I am in the process of writing a book (Ive started already) so I am careful what I post here. I dont want people taking credit for my work

16. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    English or Spanish?

If it's in English, I'll snap up a copy.

Spanish... I struggle to read Spanish and constantly have to re-read stuff because my comprehension is low. I guess that's what potter feels like all the time...

17. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    first time poster here. if you're not from houston, you will not know that john lopez is pretty much an imbecil and a jack*** along with all the other chronicle sportwriters. lopez wrote an article some time ago about how the mexican nt aspires to be like the us nt. the only good sportwriter is justice (but he doesn't cover soccer).

18. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I spent many years in Houston. I did my undergrad in Houston. I just never heard of the guy

19. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    What was your gpa and your major?

20. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    Before this gets out of hand and turns into another RDL thread. :D

La Volpismo has games, if not hearts.

I thought that was a pretty good article. I think he hit the nail on the head. And that quote pretty much sums it up.

21. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I was over a 3.0 (0.0-4.0 scale model). I have a B.B.A in International Business with a minor in Accounting.

Why do you ask?

22. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito
    My favorite part was Lavolpe's, Al Pacino comparison. :eek:

23. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    Or the part where he tries to compare the LaVolpe drama to the the Red Sox-Yankees.

dumb sh!t.

But I see what he is trying to do. I am for anything that brings popularity to this beautiful sport this side of the border.

cheers.

24. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I dont agree with that. And if people would read between the lines, they would see the hipocrisy of it all.

You have to look at the stats. The stats are actually fine, but this is where they become hipocrits. And when I mean "they", i am referring to those who want to call up more naturalized players, the ones that say we dont have good players, etc

You have a record of 49GP 26W 15D 8L 94GF 35GA. They always talk about Lavolpe's near perfect record.

If its near perfect, why does he insist he calls up more foreign players? Are those not good stats? Wouldnt those stats reveal that there isnt a need to call more?

If its near perfect, why say he doesnt have sufficient offensive power? 94 goals scored and only 35 goals against. THose are a lot of goals.

When people bring up how bad we played in Copa America, Olympics, Copa Confeds, WCQ (Panama, Guatemala, T&T), they talk about how impressive his stats are and disregard everything else.

When people talk about not needing more foreigners, the stats are brought up and they are the same people that disregard the stats.

Lavolpe has games? WHAT FVCKING GAMES????

The island massacres? THe historic Gold Cup win? OHHH yeah, but they disregard pathetic performances in the Copa America, Confed Cup (sorry, being 4th in a 8 team tournament isnt good), WCQs, etc?

25. el_zacatecano

el_zacatecano New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Clovis, Ca.
    Esta bien baboso este vato.... He's MC205 baboso.....completely clueless as to what he's talking about.