Future Residents of Manchester... The Arsenal Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ThreeUpTop, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    that makes sense. in my mind, he's viable at right-back, defensive mid or pivot so if he's 3rd choice/carling cup, he should be able to get the 25 games you mentioned.

i like frimpong but he really needs a good amount of loan time before he's close to ready. i feel like he's a red card waiting to happen right now.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be shocked if a DM is not brought in the next couple of weeks. Between M'Vila, Capoue, , Javi Garcia, Biglia, Arsene will have a nice selection to pick from. They all will cost less than Song's fee ( 16 M + 4 M in add-ons).
    M'Vila's current situation is pretty interesting. Jean Makoun has joined Rennes to replace him, but he still officially in their books. In the meantime, ABV has pulled out of the race for him for no apparent reason. Something may be cooking there.

3. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Coquelin was consistently one of the worst players for us in pre-season. There's still a lot of question marks over him, IMHO he's a lot more suitable to be a full back than a midfielder. He doesn't seem to have what it takes physically to be a good midfielder.

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Crash Davis, if they don't understand the Crash Davis reference, I wouldn't expect them to understand the Crash Durham reference

Mister Obvious repped this.
  5. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The story goes that M'Vila told them in no uncertain terms that he wasnt interested in Spuds :D
    He only wants a CL team

6. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly don't understand who Stan Kroenke is or how he works. As a lifelong Coloradan, I've seen his MO in action for a decade now, and it isn't what you think.

What he does is he find someone he trusts to run the sporting side of things (in the case of Arsenal, Wenger was already though) and tells them, "The money is there, do what you need to win, just don't do anything stupid." He is the epitome of a laissez-faire owner. Now, if we were going to do a huge money deal, say bringing in Neymar for example, I'm sure he'd want to be consulted to make sure we're not going to really harm ourselves financially in the short or long term, but otherwise he's going to let the technical staff do as they please.

Kroenke's influence is likely why we're seeing Wenger go after players, specifically Cazorla and Sahin, that he's admired for a long time.

charlie15 repped this.
  7. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see this at all Charlie. The Nuggets are managed to be a borderline playoff team. I actually happened to know a player consultant there, and money is a real limitation-he did not think they had the funds for a championship run. If you want to see a team managed to win look at the Lakers. Lakers will spend the cash, and risk that they are not doing it wisely. That's because they are managed to win first and turn a profit second. The Nuggets vs. Lakers comparison is a good one- Arsenal being managed more like the Nuggets.

8. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lakers play in a major media market. Stars want to play there because they will have a higher profile and thus make more money from endorsements. Hence why they are able to get players like Kobe, Shaq, Gasol, and Howard while teams like the Nuggets, Blazers, and Timberwolves struggle to attract free agents and retain their key players.

The Nuggets vs. Lakers comparison is not a good one, IMO. Arsenal is a lot closer to being the Lakers than we are to being the Nuggets. There are about four or five teams big enough to take away our players. Besides them, we prey on everyone. We benefit much more from our status than we suffer from it (see: players like Podolski, Giroud, and Cazorla choosing to come here).

charlie15 and Tonerl repped this.
  9. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason the Nuggets can't win an NBA championship is mainly the star system in the NBA. They're not going to get a Dwight Howard, LeBron James, etc. to come to Denver, they're just not, and you need a guy or two like that to win a title. The Nuggets have consistently been a luxury tax paying team and in the top 10 in league payroll under Kroenke, money isn't the issue. For heaven's sake, they gave $70 million to Kenyon Freaking Martin on Kroenke's watch, he'll spend money.

charlie15 and CDM76 repped this.
  10. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I think he is a quality player, would do great at Arsenal but he is not in the right frame of mind. Sad really.

11. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YOU GOT MY HOPES UP! DAMN YOU ALL!

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ambro and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Plus, his techinical football isn't good enough as it stands and he's coming back from two ACL's. Def needs a loan.

Tonerl repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    This is apples and oranges. The Lakers, like Manchester United generate huge profits. There is a corollary, but it has little or nothing to do with management.

15. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Coquelin is going to be a very good midfielder, but i think he is more suited to the arteta role rather than the song role. really want him to go out on loan if he isn't going to get many minutes this year.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    coq isn't physically good enough? smh at this place lol

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Tuttosport, Arsenal has rejected the possibility of swapping Bendtner and Mexes. Milan is trying now to take the Dane on a 1 year loan.

This dude is really becoming an albatross for AFC. Glad Arsene knows better than to take the Mexes offer.

18. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    It didn't though..

19. Twiggy

Twiggy Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah but Kroenke actually likes basketball; he's probably far more willing to give his NBA franchise money than Arsenal. That's not to say he's withholding everything, but it's common knowledge where his priorities lie.

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It made a sizeable dent in the costs of the stadium - I remember Wenger making an off the cuff statement to the effect that the club had to make a 10-15 million quid transfer profit per season in order to make the necessary interest and debt payments.

21. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    No, he said the club have to make 10-15 million "profit" (he used the wrong word..he meant net income - routine revenue minus expenses) to pay the debt. We do that comfortably every year. The thing that held us back over the years was the development and selling of Highbury Square flats, and that has nothing at all to do with football.

22. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My wife got me this van Persie action figure last year. Yep.

[​IMG]

Super Llama repped this.
  23. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a daughter? Does she have any "little boy" dolls? You could show him consulting his inner little boy.

24. OklahomaGunner

Dec 21, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Did someone really try and compare the ownership of Stan Kroenke to that of the Los Angeles Dodgers, i.e. a franchise that had to be taken over by it's sport's governing body because it had A) been so poorly run in terms of professionalism and b) had completely and totally run out of money?

And then the irrationality was furthered by saying that Kroenke won't match the Lakers, really? The Lakers don't have to care about profits because REGARDLESS of what they run out there (extremely expensive or otherwise) they are going to turn a profit. With the NBA's wage structure it's almost physically impossible with their huge TV contracts, massive fan following, and other external income for them not to turn a profit.

I do agree that all the Buss family wants is for the Lakers to win but they can focus on that solely because they own one of the most famous franchises not just in their sport but in ALL of sports.

It's like begrudging the Seattle Mariners for not spending like the Yankees.