Futsal

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Avi_Aimar, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Avi_Aimar

Avi_Aimar New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    From www.futsalonline.com

MISL Brings Misdirection to Futsal in the U.S.

By Tim Sheldon
    Editor, futsalonline.com

RICHMOND, Va. (12-2-04) - In evaluating the U.S. performance at the FIFA Futsal World Championship, a FIFA writer observed that it may be time for the "older generation to bow out."

More accurately, it would be time for the Major Indoor Soccer League to bow out of Futsal competition.

Full article at:
    http://www.futsalonline.com/misdirection.html

What do you guys think? I love the MISL but the author has a point. We need a Professional Futsal league or we will never be any good.

(MOD NOTE: replaced full article with direct link to it)

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Please don't post full articles.

3. Avi_Aimar

Avi_Aimar New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    ooops...sorry. my bad. didn't mean to offend anyone.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Nah, it's just a copyright thing. I've actually had folks write to me complaining about their material posted here, so there are people who pay attention.

As for your point, I'm afraid there realistically isn't a market for an American pro futsal league. If there were one, it definitely wouldn't be able to pay high salaries, so it couldn't attract the best players.

Yes, futsal, MISL and outdoor soccer are all different games, but the basic skills are all the same. It seems to me that it's no coincidence that the greatest US success in world futsal came when there was no national outdoor league. So the most talented outdoor players HAD to play indoor. I think the emphasis on developing US futsal will (has to) take a back seat to US soccer. Hopefully, as outdoor soccer grows in popularity and success, it'll lift the futsal team as well. Frankly, I think that finishing 8th in the world was a great success.

5. Avi_Aimar

Avi_Aimar New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Finishing 8th in the world was definitely a great success.

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Actually, no it wasn't (a great success). Granted, it's better than 2000, when they didn't even make it, but it's a big step backward from when the US was finishing 3rd and 2nd. ('89, '92, respectively). Using turf and boards indoor players instead of futsal players has stifled the game immensely in the US. We used to be kings; now we're barely court jesters.

FIFA has made futsal the official indoor soccer game, and the US needs to follow suit. However, our version of indoor has about a 10-15 year head start on futsal, and I don't know if that kind of lead can be countered or not. I think if enough people saw it, they'd like it. Sure, there are planty of detractors, and their opinions are valid and respected. But if we want to compete on the world circuit, there needs to be a change. It will probably come from US Soccer, rather than US Futsal, as the USFF has proven, at least to me, to be rather inept at anything other than threatening people with a lawsuit if they do futsal without affiliating with them (the word futsal has been trademarked in the US; how they got away with it is anyone's guess). There is a national amateur championship every year, but that is as far as their sphere of influence seems to go. I was a state association president for ten years, but gave it up after banging my head against the wall a few too many times.

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    So ... how do you explain the success of the '89 and '92 teams? IIRC, weren't those teams also made up of boardball players instead of futsal players?

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seemed like more of an editorial. I also find it interesting that the aurthor equates the league MISL with the US Futsal league. Granted the coach and the marjority of the players from the MISL. But the league doesn't have anything to do with the team.

I went and checked out the author's site and it appears that he's associated with or promoting something called US Court Soccer Federation. Not really sure what this, but I checked and it's not affiliated with either the US Soccer Federation or FIFA.

I also remember one of the early international Futsal competions the US sent a all star team made up of some of the best players from amateaur leagues in the US. They pretty much got shelled. I just don't think that there is very much of a chance that there will be a pro futsal league in this country. But then again, who would have thought there was a market for two Arena football leagues.

9. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Simple. Back in the day, as it were, everybody was pretty much on the same page. But the other countries began to specialize in futsal, while the 'Merkans stuck with our version of indoor. We had some good, all-around players, but since the pros only play futsal when the WC comes 'round, they lose several steps in the process. We have good players, to be sure, but the difference between futsal and the turf-and-boards game is significant enough to put the US out of the upper tier.

And Butler Bob, the true American futsal team or teams that got drilled in international competition were amateur teams, and was sort of like having FSU or Wofford College play the like of the Yankees and Red Sox in baseball. The pros don't play the game enough to be good at it, but I assure you that if they did, they would be.

The US Court Soccer Association, if I remember correctly, is a group affiliated with the Association Mundial de Futsal, which the old FIFUSA, the original futsal governing body. This group is more or less a reaction to the straight-arm tactics used by US Futsal in enforcing their so-called trademark of the word "futsal" in the US, something akin to someone trying to trademark the word "spoon," and then trying to force everyone to buy theirs, under threat of a lawsuit. They call it Court soccer to keep from having to affiliate with USFF. It sounds rather petty, but it is a serious matter.

10. B5KoshYou

B5KoshYou New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I remember 'back in the day', European teams used to play an indoor futsal season just to keep the players somewhat fit. A few of the teams came over to play exhibition games against MISL teams. I saw a team from Sweden play Cleveland in 1983 (that old Richfield Coliseum sure did echo when there were only 200 in the stands).

If anyone has an old (1987-88) MISL (MSL) media guide they used to keep results from the exhibition games. I had all the guides when I was planning a video about the league, but wasn't getting cooperation from certain vital people so I put everything up on ebay. I think the one I remember with the stats had a white cover with the Sockers championship photo... or it might have been the last one that had I think Des Armstrong playing an outdoor exhibition with a red cover.

Perhaps MLS might consider such a thing? It might be something worthwhile to help promote the league and teams to small communities. It would have been nice to have something like this in place since the NHL is non-functional. Plus it might help them get a look at some young talent during the off-season and help develop skills.
    Just an idea... :cool:

11. B5KoshYou

B5KoshYou New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Are they just making a threat or are they really going after people? I checked the US registry and I'm amazed that they gave a trademark for this. They basically just trademarked 'soccer'. Someone in the patent office needs to wake up.
    I wish I were rich so I could defend anyone that was faced with this crap. I think if anyone challenged it, the trademark would be overturned. But you need some serious money to do that, and what would it really acomplish? Call it court soccer and be done with it. The money they are spending on lawyers should instead be used to promote the sport, not kill it. I guess Para must have his kingdom.

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I think there have been some threats made, or at least letters written to some people about it (affiliate, drop the name, or else type stuff), and that was one of the reasons I got out. There may be some legal challenges to this in the future, I'm not sure. US Court Soccer, by affiliating with AMF, has effectively done an "end run" around them, and is doing futsal without calling it that.

As much as I like futsal, I see USFF doing more harm than good, and with as little a footprint the game has on the American sports scene, they may consign futsal to the same level as Lawn Darts if they're not careful. Either that, or people will continue to work around them, thus making the Federation (USFF) irrelavent. In my opinion, trademaking "futsal" is like trademarking "toothpaste." If that's what it is, why can't you call it that?

13. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    If the MISL is having trouble attracting fans, imagine what Futsal would bring.

14. B5KoshYou

B5KoshYou New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I had some friends in Cleveland watch the futsal championships and they all thought it was "too slow" and "there were too many stops in play". We all had season tickets to Cleveland Force games back in the 80's and while they HATE the current league, they didn't think people would pay to watch futsal - it looks too much like something people would play at the YMCA when it's too cold to play outside. People won't pay to watch a rec game.

15. Avi_Aimar

Avi_Aimar New Member

Dec 26, 2002

LOL....a REC Game. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but how can you call it a rec game? Indoor soccer is fun to watch but playing it is a different story. Futsal is soccer in its pure form. Having a bouncing ball and hitting it against a board just seems like a totally different sport.

16. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the same way that you said that indoor is just hitting ball against a board. There is obviously more to both games. the basics are the same of course but then the walls come into play and of course rule & feild differences. I think playing futsal & watching are 2 different things for most people. playing- whats there not to like its soccer! Watching -well from my limited experience - all high level competition- the ball is constantly going out of play stopping the flow. I just don't care for it. but each to there own. As far as playing indoor, my personal preference, some people can not get used to the walls they don't see them as tactical. They either don't use them or as you said they kick it off the wall with no thought. It limits them and they don't enjoy it.

17. B5KoshYou

B5KoshYou New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just for the record, I didn't called it a rec game. My friends in Cleveland said they wouldn't pay to watch it because it looks like a rec game. In my opinion, part of that is because they've watched MISL for years and that's all they've known. I've watched and played both versions. I personally prefer futsal. It requires a lot more ball control, can be played just about anywhere, and especially as a league administrator - doesn't require a huge unvestment in dasher boards.

But the fact is, USFF is killing the game in the USA. They probably spend more money on lawyers than on developing the game. Maybe if they took that money and gave a rulebook and a couple official balls to local clubs... never mind, that would be too constructive.

18. Rockey J Squirrel

Feb 27, 2003
    Brigham city Utah
    I watched several of the FIFA Futsal World Championship games.
    Conclusions: There were only 4 teams worth watching; Champion Spain, #2 Italy, #3 Brazil and the USA. Why? They did not play futsal, they played indoor soccer. MISL style stuff with motion offense and instant pace changes. The other teams were ansethsesia on blue paint.

FIFA in a "get all football under our wing" power play absorbed the original futsal (fotbol de salon) but in a bow to the European Indoor Leagues switched from the no bounce #1.5 ball to a #4 bounceable one and allowed over the head height ball flights. It killed the skills South American game but allowed stand around game to continue to exist. FIFA also changed FIFA indoor soccer from the Team Handball court to the more available basketball court.

FIFA should not be so provincal in its promotion its version of indoor soccer as the only one. The Hockey rink and turf game (MISL 6 a side) should have equal status with the original futsal and the no dasher board European game.

If the USA had sent some more skilled players who wear't so prone to unforced errors we would have done better. It also confirmed my obsevation of 20 years ago that indoor soccer should be between player of similar skills, both on the same team and between teams.

19. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They did?! I thought they were still using the no bounce ball (or as a friend of mine from Colombia calls it pelota de trapo) at this year's games.

El Chapulin Colorado

20. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Actually, it's the other way around. Futsal used to be played on a basketball court (hence the smaller, no-bounce ball), but FIFA changed it "to" the handball court. That's a big reason it hasn't caught on in the US; we don't have that many team handball courts, and most basketball courts aren't big enough to accomodate them (there is a priviso in the futsal rules that allow for a smaller penalty area (4m=approx 13 ft.) for basketball-sized courts, but the official international court must be around handball size). I remember reading a column by Clay Berling in Soccer America around the time FIFA took over futsal, and he was lamenting that very move, saying it would severely hamper futsal's growth in the US.

And he was right.

21. tim sheldon

tim sheldon New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    It has the same pace and visibility as basketball.

22. tim sheldon

tim sheldon New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    That's why the Super F League and U.S. Court Soccer Federation have been gaining popularity. The USFF has been doing nothing for years.