"Futebol dos Gringos" 2014/15 thread [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Next Champions League Winner?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2015.
  1. Real Madrid

11.5%
  2. Barcelona

19.2%
  3. Atletico Madrid

7.7%
  4. Bayern

11.5%
  5. Chelsea

19.2%
  6. Manchester City

3.8%
  7. PSG

15.4%
  8. Other

11.5%
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sevilla and Liverpool.

EDIT: Or a couple of years :p

2. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not shocked Carlo was fired and not too sad about it either. 3 leagues in 20 yrs and one was with a oil loaded PSG in the French league. Anyone who watches Real Madrid knows just how big some of his flaws are including alienating the bench. Morata was a big example of how it exploded in his face.

Rafa will be a gamble. Can go either way really.

Btw I hope Ronaldo feels the need to leave this summer if a 100+ bid comes in.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The Europa League? Please. None of us gave a shit about that. He should have done better in the league.

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You might have helped him by buying at least one competent DM.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For Sevilla that was glory. Not counting Chelsea obviously.

6. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We had one on the bench named Illaramendi but Carlo managed to destroy his confidence. By the time he did sporadically play, he'd be too timid to do anything of value. Or he'd play well and Carlo still not use him more.

Carlo is a good manager for the starting XI only and he was like that at Milan as well. He openly said he wanted a small squad and in games, you could tell he was hoping one of the attackers would score if we were behind instead of making real game chugging tactics. Won't miss him that much.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think you'll find that may not be the case.

Also, Illaramendi.......meh. I think if his confidence is so easily destroyed, hes' not right for Real Madrid.

8. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What would I find that may not be the case? I watch every game and keep up with all the news. Carlo looks great to the non-Real fans but I think he had major flaws that wouldn't have won us the league next season. He was a Ramos header away from being sacked last season after we bungled the league in the last month.

And I agree Illara has confidence issues but we already paid for the guy. Ease him in don't just pretend he doesn't exist. Plus he has showed many flashes of potential when given the chance to play games.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Could be that there was pressure from Florentino to play certain big signing players like Bale, James, Isco.

Regardless, to not realize that some injuries affected Real's 2nd half of the season is pretty near sighted. La Liga has been really unforgiven for the past 7 years with how many points you can drop and still win it. You need a near perfect season. Barca has been almost always just marginally better than Real over that period.

Granted Real should not have lost to Juve even without Modric.

But then again, Florentino has fired coaches right after winning a CL and La Liga before. Carlo got one bonus year.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I spent as much with Carlo teams as you did; trust me, it's not a suggestion I understand Real more than you. I think your side has major issues in that you lack any kind of reasonable midfield and have a lot of players with large egos. Carlo is good at both handling overinvolved owners and massaging egos of huge stars. I'm not sure whom you're going to buy to fix the problem let alone who's going to do well with the odd mix your squad is in now.

MerlinRM repped this.
  11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Could?!?!?!

celito repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @nicephoras

I meant Valencia not Sevilla. He took a team with a good backbone from Hector Cuper and won La Liga and made it to CL Final.

13. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isco isn't a player who has to play. In fact had we not been impacted by injuries, he'd be on his way out like Morata. He barely played the first 2 months until Bale got hurt then Modric. He could still leave this summer too if we buy another big name midfielder.

There is definitely pressure to play certain players but Carlo was the one who openly said he wanted a small squad. We were definitely screwed by injuries but we should have had better options on the bench. Perez is good for buying ig name players like James and Bale but he isn't the guy who I'd expect to find us some good backups. Thats Carlos job and his decision that we didn't need that cost him his job.

He is also tactically stubborn and makes the dumbest subs. His record against top teams in La Liga is horrendous and you can't win the league if you aren't capable of beating those teams.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Benitez didn't take Valencia to the CL finals - that was Cuper both years.

15. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Its hard being a Real fan because what many consider absurd could actually happen on our team. I don't know if a big name will come but Pogba is the obvious player being floated around but that would effectively seal Modric's fate. It seems absurd but it could very well happen as he has a starter spot Pogba would take and can still fetch us a lot of money.

Ideally we buy some good backups and players who will be ok with not always playing. Benetiz brings a rigorous rotation policy from what Ive seen and heard. There will be players whose egos will get tussled once Benitez doesn't play them for a certain amount of games but the team is too concerned about managing egos anyway. I'd much rather see Real Madrid win trophies than Cristiano win the Pinichi racking up goals against irrelevant La Liga teams.

nicephoras repped this.
  16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Benitez also screws up good teams........I don't think rotation is your problem. Also, if you get rid of Modric to buy Pogba, we'll snap him up in a second and I'll give you a hug. Pogba's not what you need. You need a, dare I say it.........Makelele.

17. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A player not being what we needed has never stopped Florentino from buying them lol. And there is a weird thought that Pogba is a DM on the Madrid board. He is a younger version of Modric who I'd keep over him anyway of the week.

We have an abundance of players too similar to each other that rotating them is best. Isco, James, and Kroos are all former CAMs being forced to play in midfield together. Carlo didn't have the balls to say James, Isco, Kroos, today you won't play today. It didn't help that we only had Illara and Khedira on the bench.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok ... you're right it wasn't Isco. It was the big signings James and Bale. Still Florentino's big fingers on that one.

Madrid doesn't really have a small squad IMO. Wishing for a world class sub for every position is a bit unrealistic. Barca doesn't have that and are thinner than Real. You just had too many injuries at the same time. Happens.

Yes his record against big teams was really bad this year. Still not that far from the top. Barca could have stumbled more and Real won.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sry ... getting it all confused. I guess he took them to La Liga and UEFA Cup title.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    But Khedira's not a DM either - he's a part of a pivot, and the more attacking part. All you had was Illaramendi, and I suspect there's a reason he's not playing.

And, again, I would be absolutely DELIGHTED if you sold us Modric to fund Pogba, even if Modric is already 29.

Anyone who thinks that Pogba is a DM is crazy. He's not.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yup, that he did. I remember those Valencia sides - Kily Gonzalez was, for some reason, one of my favorite players. And they were wonderful to watch with Gerard, Piojo Lopez et. al. How Cuper then turned into the biggest proponent of catenaccio remains a mystery to me.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hold on, which players? Judas and Torres never played for RM. :p

@MerlinRM - convenient timing because Luxemburgo is now available. :D oh, and if you need a team to loan out Lucas Silva to, we are available.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If this wasn't the Brazil forum, I'd have some choice Costa comebacks for you :D But I was referring to DiStefano and Redondo. Argentines, I know, but hard to deny their greatness. Redondo is the most complete midfielder I've ever seen, even if he wasn't at his peak for all that long.

He's trolling you. Just you wait......

25. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Scolari is available too!!:D