Further evidence tying Rove to Plame-outing

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Hard Karl, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Funny, none of the right wing sites have a poll....

2. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom line is that the CIA asked for an investigation into who publicized her name, which means that they thought it harmed the agency in some way. The question of how secret her activity was is important in applying that particular law, but as anyone who remembers Ken Starr knows very well, the people running investigations like this are not obligated to limit themselves to the original complaint.

I am not certain, but I don't think that she had any significant involvement in Wilson's trip. In other words, whether or not Wilson's report and subsequent public statements were accurate is in no way dependant on who his wife is and what she was doing at the time.

Almost precisely the opposite. The Whitehouse was extremely unhappy when Wilson went public, but the documents that he was sent to check out are now universally known to be forgeries, and it appears that they pretty much knew as much when the reference to those documents was put into the State of the Union speech.

In other words, whoever leaked information about Wilson's wife was only trying to distract everyone from Wilson's public statements, not argue against them.

3. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Right, and the agency has never gone overboard trying to protect secrecy, based on principle, instead of any real damage.

Right, and we saw how well that whole Star investigation turned out. Is that really what the Democrats want, their own Ken Starr?

Well then why in the hell was Wilson selected? That is what got the interest going in this story in the first place, because he seemed like such an unusual selection.

Right, it doesn't matter if Wilson was lying in order to try to discredit the administration, all that matters is if somehow we can twist around the actual circumstance to make Rove look as bad as possible.

Wilson was trying to paint himself as some sort of heroic whistle Blower. ie, that he had been sent to Niger by Cheney or Tennent to come back with a story they wanted, and when he got their he stood up against them and told the "real truth", and that is why they needed to discredit him, But that aint the way it happened, and that is what Rove was trying to point out. Wilson's trip was never considered an important piece of evidence by anyone in the upper echelons of the CIA or at the White House.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that this post topic starts with "Further Evidence..." then fails to cite anything of the kind!

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If Rove were just trying to point out to the reporter that Wilson was a shaky source, then he could have simply told him about Plame off the record. He purposely did not do so.

6. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    What do you think he was doing? He certainly was expecting everything he said to be "background" as in definitely not attributable to him.
    Didn't the reporter even use some silly words like "super secret" to describe his relationship.

For heaven Sakes, just a few weeks ago the liberals were touting Mark Felt ie "Deep Throat" for his willingness to bend the rules in order to get the truth out, but somehow it doesn't even matter if what Rove was telling the reporter was absolutely true, and was correcting a false impression that was being generated by the media.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Further, if it was simply a case of getting a reporter off the Wilson angle, why wouldn't Ari Fleischer have done this?

Nope, sorry - Rove stuck his nose in this for a purpose, and it wasn't to protect the press.

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ???? So because he thought it wasn't attributable to him, that makes it ok? I don't understand your point. Do you know the difference between "off the record" and "unnamed source"?

????? What false impression?

9. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Rove said, boiled down, was that Wilson went to Niger because his wife suggested him, inferring from that that Wilson was unqualified and that therefore, his conclusions could be ignored. We know now that Wilson's essential conclusion (that the documents obtained in Italy showing Sadam Hussein seeking yellow cake in Niger were falacious) was correct. Therefore anything Rove said about Wilson's wife wasn't absolutely true, or even absolutely false. It was simply irrelevent and had the sole purpose of pulling attention away from the facts of the matter.

10. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    He also attended Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS disgused as Steve Bartman and helped prevent the Cubs from making the World Series.

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Really? That's when the interest in this story got going? I though the interest in this story got going when Wilson pointed out that Bush had used known false information in a State of the Union speech. I'd never heard anybody say anything about Wilson before that.

12. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah, kinda....here's more:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-oe-rscheer12jul12,0,7142498.column?coll=la-home-headlines

I'd love to see Rove go down in flames. This administration sucks (and I'm a registered Indpendent not a democrat or conservative), and I have to believe he's a big part of the reason why it stinks.

Getting Rove would be getting one big, fat, bloated pig out of the way.

13. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From the article:

You'd have to be immoral or an idiot to compare Rove to Felt.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Fox News?

PS, your comrade in arms, Karl, used MSNBC to prove a point in support of Rove. Are you calling him a lefty moonbat?

15. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't know exactly what Rove's relationship was with Cooper.

Did Cooper ever say "an unnamed source" (meaning Rove) within the whitehouse confirms that Plame is an agent?

Wasn't Novak the one to actually break the story, not Cooper?

The impression that Wilson was tasked by Cheney or Tennent to go to Niger.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its now official: The Plame-Rove affair has turned into a media feeding frenzy. We here at the BS Politics Forum can only sit back enjoy. Or squirm:

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some more Froomkin:

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any evidence for this assertion?

This is a lie. Please stop lying, you liar.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose you liberals might be slightly amused by all this; enjoy your vulturistic respite as the facts of the case will get you in the end! This is a journalistic failure and so far only journalists are facing jail time... but if it amuses you far be it for me to deny you your short-term gloat!

20. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Right.

Wrong, Inferring that Wilson was not tasked by Cheney or Tennent to go to Niger. That was the story that Cooper was working on, and that Rove was trying to pull him off of.

The fact of the matter is that Wilson was not tasked by the White House or Tennent, that was the story Rove was comenting about. Do you have any evidence that Rove was intending to try to discredit Wilson in order to make the Uranium story look accurate?

21. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    I think this was what ITN's father was yelling at liberals about the time of Watergate. :)

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I eagerly await the congressional hearings.

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about ready to add George to my ignore list. I am slowly learning that he offers one-liners to any post - and almost always wrong and off-the-mark on-liners. This is one fever I think its best to starve.

24. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I actually believe him here:

I'm not sure he recognizes the irony, but Rove was/is definitely helping them advance an agenda.

25. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you a GOP official? Because this is the line that Ken Mehlman has been spouting today.