Funny Story (About Ivanov and Hristo)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sober Tom, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I live in Southern New Jersey and yesterday I went to the beach. As I'm leaving I decide to stop at a Sunoco to get some gas for the trip home. So the gas station attendent(we don't have self-serve in jersey) comes up and asks me if i play soccer cause i have a ball hangin from my rearview mirror and i say yes. He then proceeds to tell me that he used to play professionally before he moved over here, so i asked him what country he was from. So he says Bulgaria and I'm like, ohh so u know who Hristo is then and he says yeah with a surprised look on his face that i even knew who hristo was. So then he asks me if i knew who Ivanov was and i said yea, they both play for my favorite club, D.C. United. Then he tells me that Ivanov is his cousin and that he wants to go down to D.C. this month to see a game. He also lets me know that he had a tryout with the Metros but because he lacked proper paper work he couldn't play with them. And this guys pumpin gas in Ocean City, New Jersey..small world.

2. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
    Ask him about the first Bulgarian to Bulgarian goal in MLS (or perhaps western European) history!

3. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Totti, Batigol and Montella in real life all at the same time. Yeah, during the Italian Cup final Roma vs. Parma. :rolleyes:

your story was cooler.

4. BULG_dude#8Stoichkov

Jun 25, 2003
    What is so funny? WE BULGARIANS ARE THE BEST AT SOCCER!

5. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    That's pretty funny, but he's Bulgarian and you ask if he knows who Stoichkov is? That's like asking a Canadian if they know who Wayne Gretzky is. Probably the reason why you got a surprised look.

6. Darryl

Darryl Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    The original poster probably got a surprised look because this gas station attendant has probably found that only 1 out of 100 Americans have heard of Bulgaria, and out of that 1, only 1 in 10 of them can name one person from Bulgaria.

7. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd take 1 of 3 on the naming someone from bulgaria part. he was just surprised that some 19 year old kid knew somethin about soccer i guess.

8. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i wonder how good he might be

9. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Funny Story (About Ivanov and Hristo)

I think Ray is having him in for a tryout next week...